V6.8.9 - when is the end?

Kengel
Kengel
Community Member

I'm running an older OSX version and will update sometime soon. I have the paid desktop 1P license and started with V1 I believe.

As far as I can tell if I "upgrade" to V7 it will require a monthly fee subscription - or paid update. (Not sure if there is a way to undo the upgrade)

So - for those of us who are perfectly happy running the desktop V689 as is - is the V7 desktop update compatible with Mojave? If not what OSX version is the cut off? Just so we aren't surprised if things don't work and need to make other arrangements...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Kengel - 1Password 7 for Mac is indeed a paid upgrade from any previous version. It requires either a 1password.com membership (subscription) or the purchase of a new license for version 7. An individual membership is $35.88/yr ($2.99/mo when paid annually); a standalone license is currently $49.99 at our "launch special" pricing, though it will be going up to the regular retail price of $64.99 at some point.

6.8.9 will work - for now - on Mojave, for the most part. But it's important to remember that Mojave was released after development stopped on 1Password 6 for Mac, so it's not guaranteed that it will work -- and eventually changes in macOS and related technologies will render it unusable on future versions of macOS at some point, in the same way that 1Password 3 for Mac will not work on Mojave. The first of these changes may happen sooner than you think: Apple introduced substantial changes in Safari 12, most notably the retirement of the older style of .safariextz extensions we've all been using for years, in favor of the newer Safari App Extension format. Version 7.2 of 1Password for Mac uses the newer format of Safari extension, but for now, version 6 - which uses the older extension - will still work in version 12...but its days are numbered. Apple has already removed users' ability to manually install older extensions that have been downloaded directly from developers; in Safari 12, the ONLY way to install older extensions is via the Safari Extensions Gallery, and Apple have announced plans to shutter that sometime around the end of the year as well...we've not been given a specific date. But at some point in the foreseeable future, if you use Safari, your choice will be: find another browser, or upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking me by "is the V7 desktop update compatible with Mojave? If not what OSX version is the cut off?" If you mean: what versions of 1Password will work with Mojave, I really don't know, because we don't test each and every older version to find "cut offs." As a security company, our advice for users can only be to recommend keeping up-to-date with not only macOS but 1Password and your browser(s) as well. Older versions may work...but they're not guaranteed to, as technology changes but those older versions stay frozen in time. Hope that's at least somewhat helpful.

• Kengel
    Kengel
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

Thanks for the reply! I don't mind updating to a new standalone version - but just trying to get a sense of things. We're currently lagging behind with OSX updates deliberately for sake of ensuring compatibility with other certain legacy software desktop versions. I think you've mostly answered the question - but one more thing...

I want to buy the standalone V7 - But - It requires me to install it to achieve this. I'm on El Capitan currently - can I buy it as a standalone for a future installation?

I get the following when I try to install it on El Capitan. - "You can’t use this version of 1Password with this version of macOS."

Yes - I know upgrade OSX - I'll probably do that...but I'm busy this time of year.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Kengel - we can't in good conscience recommend people stay that far behind on any critical software, and that definitely includes both 1Password and macOS. We're aware there may be reasons people might want or even need (hardware limitations) to do so, and new versions of 1Password will typically run on at least one or two prior OSes...but that's not always the case, due to the nature of changes that sometimes are made. And in the case of 1Password 7 for Mac, macOS 10.12 (“Sierra”) is the cutoff to use it.

This discussion has been closed.