Version 8 in the Apple App Store?

Options

Comments

• HansHaupt
    HansHaupt
    Community Member
    Options

As someone who has had a 1Password family plan for years now, the easiest and simplest means of allowing family to use the latest version of 1Password is via the App Store (whether Mac or iOS).

Providing the latest version of the product we have all been waiting so long for, on the Mac App Store, should be obvious to Agilebits. Truly perplexing as to why they seemingly want users to now download off their website.

I also feel it is somewhat insidious to shadow launch 1P8 for Mac directly on the website without so much as an email or notification for App Store users. As much as I am an early adopter, I see no reason why I have to manually download and use this "new" version of the app versus the convenience and trust provided by the App Store.

• Hey folks,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

As Ben mentioned earlier, you can download 1Password 8 for Mac directly from our website.

You're more than welcome to continue subscribing through the App Store. We wouldn't be here without Apple, and we're happy to pay the 30% (or 15% for subsequent years).

Jack

• Alexey Stepanov
    Alexey Stepanov
    Community Member
    Options

Incredible decision, really, not to put v.8 in the App Store given the Mac history of the app and traditional 'Mac-friendly' approach of the dev team... It seems the move to Electron was just step 1 of moving further away from Mac users, sad times.

• luiscarlospando
    luiscarlospando
    Community Member
    Options

I really want to try 1Password 8, I really do, but not being able to install it from the App Store is disappointing. Hopefully you guys take your users opinions on the matter into account and finally release it through the App Store sooner than later.

• seanzxx
    seanzxx
    Community Member
    Options

Mac App Store is definitely a trust source for applications. I prefer to download the new 1Password 8 from Mac App Store. Downloading 1Password from website seems dangerous because I even don't know whether it is fake or not. I hope I can download 1Password 8 through the App Store soon.

• wakkedoff77
    wakkedoff77
    Community Member
    Options

Main reason for AppStore request is simple. VPP from a support perspective, it is easier as the AppStore manages the deltas of the applications. It makes it easier for our users to be up-to-date as it provides that "zero-touch" model feel for our users. Now what we have is more work to do as our users across the fleet are not admins, they are standard users. Not to mentioned the upkeep to ensure that they are running the newest version of the application. From an admin perspective AppStore makes our lives, reporting and deployment easier and trusted.

• MSch0079
    MSch0079
    Community Member
    Options

As someone who heavily uses JAMF and MDM at work; it is very true that applications that are published through Apple's store fronts are much easier to deploy to cooperate managed devices. A volume purchase completed the Apple Business Manager and then App Store applications can be directly assigned to devices for an users to use. 3rd party hosted apps are harder to deploy and license. I agree; something else to consider.

• premiumuser
    premiumuser
    Community Member
    Options

It appears @Ben has ghosted us...

• OHardes
    OHardes
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for the App Store because it makes keeping all Apps up to date so convenient.

• Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback and comments here. We're focused on our website and direct delivery of the app right now. The future is a long time, though!

• matifyed
    matifyed
    Community Member
    Options

I cannot install 1Password without the App Store on my work computer. I also cannot install the download from your website because you will not allow it to install in my user Applications folder.
    That is why updating the Mac App Store would make sense for me, beyond the simple logic of it being the next iteration after 7. The canned responses feel telling and I hope to be wrong on that.

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

I'm still waiting for 1password 8 to be in the Mac App Store for upgrading. Hope that happens soon, don't really want to start looking for an alternative that IS in the App Store.

And yes, it looks like 1Password is ghosting us all Mac users.

Also please fix the comment box, can't type the at sign here without switching from LA keyboard (which it IS) to either ABC or Spanish (which is NOT my keyboard)... works everywhere else.

@PeterG_1P "The future is a long time, though!" — Hope that doesn't mean we'll be waiting forever to see 1Password again in the App Store (I mean versions 8 and above)

@Jack.P_1P "As Ben mentioned earlier, you can download 1Password 8 for Mac directly from our website." — Thanks for the reminder! but as you can see, many of us just don't want or can't download from your website. Please, you already went against us on the "electron" move... at least give us the App Store!

• yannikbloscheck
    yannikbloscheck
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

I prefer the App Store very much, too. These are the reasons (from most to least important):

1. The updates are just far more seemingness than having to do them manually (even after getting notified). The app just always gets updated without any annoying prompts or user input.

2. If setting up a new Mac, it's the easiest just to go to ones purchases in the App Store and download all the apps instead searching them together all over the internet.

3. As someone using MDM and VPP solutions like Jamf Now or Apple Business Manager having an app in the App Sore is by very far the easiest way to get it to employees devices. For some businesses it might not even be feasible, if it's not there.

4. It's just the place where users expects your app to be.

5. Normal users (especially if they aren't techsavy or didn't know 1Password beforehand) trust Apple's in-app purchases more than other payment methods.

If there are not big technical hurdles, I really don't understand why it isn't there from the start. This really should be a top priority. This seems like another very worrying sign that 1Password is losing its Mac roots and understanding of the Mac customer base.

• yannikbloscheck
    yannikbloscheck
    Community Member
    Options

I prefer the App Store very much, too. These are the reasons (from most to least important):

1. The updates are just far more seemingness than having to do them manually (even after getting notified). The app just always gets updated without any annoying prompts or user input.

2. If setting up a new Mac, it's the easiest just to go to ones purchases in the App Store and download all the apps instead searching them together all over the internet.

3. As someone using MDM and VPP solutions like Jamf Now or Apple Business Manager having an app in the App Sore is by very far the easiest way to get it to employees devices.

4. It's just the place where users expects your app to be.

5. Normal users (especially if they aren't techsavy or didn't know 1Password beforehand) trust Apple's in-app purchases more than other payment methods.

If there are not big technical hurdles, I really don't understand why it isn't there from the start. This really should be a top priority. This seems like another very worrying sign that 1Password is losing its Mac roots and understanding of the Mac customer base.

• TMEI
    TMEI
    Community Member
    Options

When is 1PW8 going to be available on the Mac App Store?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided

• danrt
    danrt
    Community Member
    Options

The one app that I thought would make the app store a priority. If 8 is not in the App Store within a month I'll be transitioning to some alternative...

• also14
    also14
    Community Member
    Options

is this a joke? The company that prides itself on being so Apple centric and friendly is now bypassing the App Store. Do you realize who your customer base is..? Apple loyalists. Who are going to find another app now or use apple’s own password management solution. I thought maybe apple was holding up the app for review but it’s clear there is a shady plan at work here

• gizeralla
    gizeralla
    Community Member
    Options

what it has been really disturbing about 1password attitude towards their customer that seemingly the team really don't care about our thoughts and after reading such sentences "We're focused on our website and direct delivery of the app right now. The future is a long time, though!" really wondering myself why I do continue us it if they don't listen us. Since the subscription system has been started, they ignored the people who would like to buy it via 1standalone licence on App Store and now this . If the team continues such attitude towards us, you will lose us. Briefly, I also prefer apps from store ..

• also14
    also14
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah these bizarre and condescending non-answers are very off putting. I have been a 1Password supporter from day 1.
    I just started transitioning passwords to iCloud Keychain and passwords on iPhone. Very easy, works well and is free.

• Gas92
    Gas92
    Community Member
    Options

+1 Mac App Store

• gnomac
    gnomac
    Community Member
    Options

I have a slight preference for App Store, but if it's going to stay like this for now please at least make it so people can make sense of the 1Password's status and website without digging around to find a forum thread like this.

Here was my bewildering journey today:

• searched 1Password 8 to see if it might be in the works
    • First hit was https://1password.com/mac all about 8.
    • Nice, but this is beta right? Oh but that doesn't look like a beta URL
    • Navigate to blog post about beta for 8.8.
    • Huh? Is 8.x all beta? No just 8.8. Latest is 8.7
    • Wait how are anywhere near 8.7 already?
    • Have I been hibernating again?
    • Or am I just confused about the major version numbers? Nope, I have the "latest" 7.9.4.
    • Check https://releases.1password.com for clarity and see that 1Password 8 was first released early May 2022 starting with 8.7 (sorta)
    • Found this forum thread. Now it kinda makes some sense.
    • At least confirmed I'm not crazy.
    • But now still wondering should I upgrade to 8.x?
    • Is it really ready for prime time, given that so far it only exists in this alternate versioning / distribution universe that's probably unknown to 95%+ of 1Password users?
    • Hmmm maybe I should google 1Password 9 or 13 and see where that leads...
  • also14
    also14
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah I’m struggling to understand how they expect the bulk of users who downloaded through the App Store to figure this out without any clear communication or guidance. Is that intentional? Most people probably don’t even think they can download from 1pass and use their apple subscription.
    You then have to find a site to download 8 from, install it, remove 7, remove the 7 safari extension, then go to the App Store and install the other safari extension from there?
    No idea if that is even the correct order or if that will actually work

• p0fi
    p0fi
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

I would also prefer to download it from the Mac App Store and was more than confused to not find it there. It's really weird as for me if you deliver version 7 there, then make big tam tam about version 8 and be totally silent about the fact that its not on the Mac App Store anymore. You have to go to a forum and ask to get such info. I think many people like the MAS because it keeps all their updates in one place.

If you pull out the MAS pull out fully and communicate it. Don't let version 7 sit there as if it was the hottest and don't tell anyone in the MAS that there is another place where you could get a newer version.

• TMEI
    TMEI
    Community Member
    Options

+1 Mac App Store
    As a 1PW user from day one I strongly dislike the fact 1PW8 not being macOS native. If I even can't get it on the mac App Store I might just start looking for an alternative.

• 13astion
    13astion
    Community Member
    Options

I also suspect the AppStore ratings. I gotta believe that 1Password was rated higher in the past, but perhaps recent changes, especially the cloud model and subs, have led to many more negative reviews. In the store it just says "Editor's Choice" in a search results list where the average rating and rating count would appear - you have to click on the detail page to see the 3.2 (!!!) rating, which is significantly lower than other password managers like mSecure, Dashlane, Keeper, Secrets, etc.
    They may be concerned that V8 with the Electron UI, the complete redesign of the Quick Access/Menubar 1Password "mini", and the end of support for local vaults, could result in reviews tanking - especially since it would likely be a new entry in the AppStore like 1Password 7 was, so the rating average would not benefit from positive reviews on older versions.
    Because in general, it's crazy that they did not release it on the AppStore, and from the "answers" here they apparently have no plans to do so. The official responses have been pretty crazy too.
    I guess we will wait and see...

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

AgileBits replies do sound as though they are thinking of not putting 1PW8 on the App Store, which would, I think, be a mistake.

But, even if they do put it there, it would appear a fair bit later than for direct download. This always happens, due to the App Store acceptance process. One should always expect an App Store version to appear several weeks after a direct download.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

One should always expect an App Store version to appear several weeks after a direct download.

Weeks? Isn’t that a thing of the past? Should be “days” now:

On average, 50% of apps are reviewed in 24 hours and over 90% are reviewed in 48 hours.

Source: Apple.

This discussion has been closed.