Options

Comments

• bonbon
    bonbon
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Same thought!

I think they test us and bet behind that most users can’t wait and will have the latest version asap and download it from their website.

I remember everytime they announced thw new version, they always say you can download it directly from the website and the app store version would be available in 3-4 days due apple‘s check. This time they didn’t mention the word app store in the announcement

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

not sure that's the best option considering us angry customers may start ranking the app "bad" and telling our acquaintances to skip 1Password 8 or move to something else... no news so far....

• MarkBernard
    MarkBernard
    Community Member
    Options

@xmarcelo wrote:

not sure that's the best option considering us angry customers may start ranking the app "bad" and telling our acquaintances to skip 1Password 8 or move to something else... no news so far....

Since 1PW8 isn't on the app store, I can't review it there --- good or bad.

I changed to the subscription model for 1PW (family) for simpler and more assured syncing. I've been thrilled with it. I've recommended it over and over.

For now, I'll still recommend 1PW7 from the App store. My advice will continue to be "avoid non App store downloads".

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    Options

For now, I'll still recommend 1PW7 from the App store. My advice will continue to be "avoid non App store downloads".

same here until features of 1Password7 are too far behind 8... for now.

• Drahos
    Drahos
    Community Member
    Options

The company policy allows me to install my private apps on my company MacBook from the App Store only, but nothing else. Therefore, no 1Password on my company MacBook anymore, if they do not change their mind. Very dissapointing :-(

• mh4ll
    mh4ll
    Community Member
    Options

Hot take: 1Password staff are being obviously (and infuriatingly) opaque with their non-answers. It is not hard to lay out the reasons why they have deprioritized (or perhaps abandoned) the Mac App Store, but they are choosing not to do so. This feels out of character for this forum -- I usually find a refreshingly open and transparent discussion. This makes me think that lawyers are involved in some way, and 1Password staff have been advised to keep mum. I have no hard intel to back this up, but it seems to make sense in context?

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    Options

@mh4ll you may have a point here. Still, I doubt it's any lawyer's instruction to stay quiet and deny everything. It looks to me like some not-well-though decision was made (like electron?), and now that's somehow delaying or blocking publishing in the App Store. I also have no hard evidence of any of this, but since the 1password staff is not giving any answer, and this would make some sense,... See, Atlassian is going through something similar now that they've abandoned their Mac Jira app... and also tried to sell us users an electron based (glorified) PWA. In both cases, 1Password and Atlassian seem hellbent on completing some plan that's making their users angry and disappointed, and making us look for alternatives. Personally, if 1Password 8 doesn't appear soon in the App Store, I may have to move everything to iCloud's Keychain... I'll lose a lot, but at least I can have my passwords and OTP generators there. I hope this solves soon, but if not, I think I still have a (ugly!) solution that may keep me (and my family) working.

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    Options

this doesn't look very good. either (given the lack of transparency from 1Password)
    https://jobs.lever.co/1password?department=Technology&team=Client Applications

• cmcsolid
    cmcsolid
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for 1Password 8 on Mac App Store. At work we are not allowed to install apps outside App Store. So all our employees will not be able to upgrade to 1Password 8 until it's released on the App Store. :/

• phil_
    phil_
    Community Member
    Options

Adding my request for 1Password on the Mac App Store.

• danison
    danison
    Community Member
    Options

++ vote for release in Mac App Store. I don't want another self-updating app, they're annoying.

• fambrojoe
    fambrojoe
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Put the app on the Mac App Store. Stop being stupid. If you are focused on only putting it on your website then you are clearly not focused on your customers.

Why do we have to waste our time advocating for this?

Stop being ridiculous. Put the freaking app on the Mac App Store.

In your email you state:

" we’ve pushed hard to create the best experience possible on Mac”

But it’s not on the Mac App Store?

"1Password 8 integrates deeper and tighter with macOS than ever”

But it’s not on the Mac App Store?

"Focused on our website" - but clearly not focused on your customers

"Always interested in how we can best meet our customers' needs" - Put the friggin app on the App Store

"Focused on continuing to make our website version the best it can be" - I don't care about your website version. I am a customer and want you to focus on my needs and placing the app in the App Store.

Infuriating.

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    Options

If you are focused on only putting it on your website then you are clearly not focused on your customers.

sorry I have to agree w/ this. Even if my concerns about electron have been cleared because of the numbers shared by @Ben , I still feel we're being left alone because of not being able to get 1Password 8 from the Mac App Store.

Granted, "autoupdate" is kind of "the next best thing" after the MAS, but... it's not close enough to justify the upgrade.

Then again, the continuously repeat this is not going to happen "in the next few months" and that the only thing to do is to subscribe to a list that's never ever sent a message so far.

Since this is going to take long, I've just made peace with the fact that the only solution for me and my family is to stay in 1Password 7 until 8 is available in the MAS. Ok, I could download from the site but, I don't want another autoupdate like Creative Cloud's or Office (I know, I can get it from the MAS, too!!!).

• hubbycat
    hubbycat
    Community Member
    Options

I would like my vote for adding 1Password to App Store. I like the convenience and security of App Store. I am concerned about this change in policy. I have read the thread but I could not see any explanation for this change or any benefits that I would get for it. Quite the opposite.

• simrun
    simrun
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Started off my morning with a pleasant surprise in my inbox: wow, a whole new release of 1Password! A 'love letter to Mac users' <3. Super exciting!

Then wondering why my 1Password hasn't updated. Then finding all of the terse and dismissive replies in this thread.

1Password have dropped App Store support... but are afraid to say it for some reason. How sad. Hopefully the performance improvements in v8 can make up for this lost feature.

Now I have to go and follow a migration guide from 1Password 7 to 1Password 8... when I'm supposed to be working. Would have been nice if this was at least acknowledged in the announcement email.

Such a shame how this has been handled.

• ccming
    ccming
    Community Member
    Options

Any possibility, limitation for Mac App Store or HomeBrew?

• Heinzzz
    Heinzzz
    Community Member
    Options

So what is the reason behind this decision? I would appreciate to get the software updates through the App store and not by downloading packages every time. Whoever made this decision - please think again. And this time put the user into the center and not the financials!

• cxb
    cxb
    Community Member
    Options

1P8 switches to Electron as it’s easier to make the app cross platform with less work needed on the developer side. Hence focusing on the browser as you can run Chrome and Firefox on pretty much any operating system and that means they can either have fewer devs or the devs focusing on the same thing instead of dedicated for certain platforms. Removing support for local vaults allows 1P to have a predictable revenue stream as well as not dealing with compatibility issues across platforms since it’s a chance at the core of the app. A web app is not ideal for most but that’s my guess as to why there isn’t an App for the Mac yet unless they want to say it’s for a different reason.

• cxb
    cxb
    Community Member
    Options

1P8 switches to Electron as it’s easier to make the app cross platform with less work needed on the developer side. Hence focusing on the browser as you can run Chrome and Firefox on pretty much any operating system and that means they can either have fewer devs or the devs focusing on the same thing instead of dedicated for certain platforms. Removing support for local vaults allows 1P to have a predictable revenue stream as well as not dealing with compatibility issues across platforms since it’s a chance at the core of the app. A web app is not ideal for most but that’s my guess as to why there isn’t an App for the Mac yet unless they want to say it’s for a different reason.

• AppleMaru
    AppleMaru
    Community Member
    Options

@cmcsolid
    Yes, I have encountered the similar situation. The Mac App Store is considered a relatively safe source in many companies.

Moreover, it's difficult for me to track every app in my Mac for updates and go through the installation processes manually. The auto-update function in the App Store is hassle-free.

• chrisridd
    chrisridd
    Community Member
    Options

Other Electron apps such as Slack are on the Mac App Store, so using Electron per se cannot be the reason.

+1 from me for a Mac App Store version. I'm not interested in using the version from the website, and will likely switch to another password manager if 1Password persists with this.

• Heinzzz
    Heinzzz
    Community Member
    Options

As the update question is cruical to me I wonder wether the new MacOS client supports an automatic version update check.

• cineron
    cineron
    Community Member
    Options

Why the Mac App Store? It's easier.

I've been a 1Password user since version 2. However new versions are delivered, I'll use them.

If I get more features from a direct download or it's better for the developer's bottom line, that's fine with me, too.
    But the features from a direct download app have to meet a higher bar that surpasses the competition (if there is any) in the Mac App Store.

• hze
    hze
    Community Member
    Options

If I install 1Password 8 via 1Password website, should I purchase a new subscription from 1Password directly or will my subscription via App Store still work for version 8?

• gussic
    gussic
    Community Member
    Options

I can see this has been asked a few times but can't see a 'real' well reasoned answer as to why this is missing. I get during the beta period, but I like many macOS users like to use the App Store where possible, it simplifies update processes and to be honest is a whole lot easier for the less tech literate folks I have in my family/friends group - being able to direct them to an App Store which they already understand from their phones is just so much easier and better.

Now if it is possible to get an answer from @Ben or @roustem that actually explains why you chose not to develop a Mac App Store version that would be really great - is it a financial issue - i.e. don't want to give Apple x% of subscriptions? Or is there actually a good, genuine reason as to why (like do App Store apps not support Rust or something?)

Cheers

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided

• loopless1
    loopless1
    Community Member
    Options

Another +1 for the app store version.
    I think it can only be they don't want to give Apple the % cut on subscriptions?

• smythg
    smythg
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Another +1 for putting V8 on the App Store.

I need it there to be able to have V8 on my work MacBook, and prefer to install apps from the App Store for all my Apple devices. This is doubly important for apps that you are trusting with sensitive data.

If there is a technical (or other good) reason why it can't be on the Mac App Store please say. Thanks.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2022
    Options

@Heinzzz @AppleMaru

As the update question is cruical to me I wonder wether the new MacOS client supports an automatic version update check.

1Password 8 for Mac updates automatically. You do not need to manually check for updates.

@chrisridd

Other Electron apps such as Slack are on the Mac App Store, so using Electron per se cannot be the reason.

Correct; Electron is not a factor here and will not be a hinderance if we pursue having 1Password 8 for Mac in the App Store.

@hze

If I install 1Password 8 via 1Password website, should I purchase a new subscription from 1Password directly or will my subscription via App Store still work for version 8?

Your subscription from Apple will continue unless cancelled. The fact that 1Password 8 for Mac is downloaded from our website will not impact this.

I think it can only be they don't want to give Apple the % cut on subscriptions?

Not a bit. Folks are welcome to continue subscribing through the App Store.

@smythg

If there is a technical (or other good) reason why it can't be on the Mac App Store please say. Thanks.

There are plenty of factors that go into such a decision, all of which are above my pay-grade. For now, we're focusing on delivering the app through our website. I couldn't say when or if that will change. If you're interested in hearing of any changes that may occur, I'd encourage you to subscribe to our notifications dedicated to this subject: https://1password.com/mac-app-store-subscribe/

Ben

• BilboB
    BilboB
    Community Member
    Options

Wondering for a couple of days now when 1Password8 is showing up in the App store. That's the only way I can get it on my private as well as on my corporate Mac. This is a very unpleasant situation - and by far it has nothing to do with a customer focused company. I'm a 1Password user from the very first days, now with a family account - and I'm wondering if it's time to move on.

This discussion has been closed.