Version 8 in the Apple App Store?

Options

Comments

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

@danco — My first thought was exactly that and I really hope I'm wrong. Still. @13astion may have a point in thinking they may be avoiding the risk of getting even worse scores w/ 1password 8 in the App Store because of the move to electron + rust, which they claim to be very fast (I don't recall they calming it's not a memory hog, though, but I may be wrong)... Still, if they feared that, then they shouldn't have moved to electron+rust in the first place. The only other option I can think, is they're just getting out of the Mac desktop, and this would be a way to let it happen relatively silently. Then again, I also would like a real answer from 1Password, since their "answers" have clarified nothing at all so far.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

As far as I can gather, Rust is a Good Thing! Electron not so clear. But Electron may well not be the final front end, just the best currently available.

Worth looking at the very positive review of 1PW8 at https://sixcolors.com/post/2022/05/1password-8-for-mac-an-upgrade-after-all/

I suppose AgileBits could reasonably argue that every time they have made major changes (such as the current one) the reviews of 1PW on the App Store have been really bad and that this is mostly because people don't like change. So waiting until there are a load of good reviews outside the App Store before putting it there makes sense.

• MarkBernard
    MarkBernard
    Community Member
    Options

@danco wrote:

AgileBits replies do sound as though they are thinking of not putting 1PW8 on the App Store, which would, I think, be a mistake.

Their replies have consistently been a few words that didn't say much, if anything.

@danco wrote:

So waiting until there are a load of good reviews outside the App Store before putting it there makes sense.

I'm very much looking forward to upgrading to 1PW8. Any issues will be fixed, I'm sure -- these folks have continuously addressed issues and improved the product.

I will upgrade the day 1PW8 is available in the App Store.

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    Options

@MarkBernard wrote:

I will upgrade the day 1PW8 is available in the App Store.

While I'm not convinced of the move to electron, I'm on the same situation. Will update when it's in the App Store.

• dteare
    Options

Sorry for the frustration. Pissing you off certainly wasn't my intent.

We aren’t saying "no" to anything and the only thing that’s constant in technology is change, so the future is hard to predict. As for the here and now, we’re focused on continuing to make our website version the best it can be. There's not much more to say than that.

Be sure to sign up to https://1password.com/mac-app-store-subscribe/ to keep in the loop.

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hi @dteare
    this,

We aren’t saying "no" to anything and the only thing that’s constant in technology is change, so the future is hard to predict. As for the here and now, we’re focused on continuing to make our website version the best it can be. There's not much more to say than that.

This, again, is not a proper answer. "the future is hard to predict" seems more something of an excuse than an answer.

• If 1Password 8 for the Mac is so buggy it won't be accepted in the App Store, tell us. We may wait (or not)
    • If you don't have any intention of coming back to the App Store, tell us, we'll decide if we look for something else or rely only in the "passwords" from macOS that now support also OTP

In any case, just keeping telling us that "the future is hard to predict" will only cause some of us, don't know if we're a minority or the majority of 1Password for Mac users, to abandon any remaining confidence in that we'll still be supported and forcing us hard to look for a less risky alternative.

This all started, probably, with the move to electron. I know you're a big fan of this move, but you have not been successful in making us confident it will not be a resource hog, as many electron-based apps are. Would you please at least post numbers? how much memory does 1Password7 and 8 use on an Intel Mac and on an arm Mac? Most of of the lack of confidence of us people that are not in love with electron would either be confirmed or dismissed by posting that in a very visible place, but you only claimed it's fast because of rust. That doesn't mean it's not a memory hog because of electron!... I'll still "upgrade" once it's in the App Store, 32GB RAM should be enough. But the rest of my family may want to stay on 1password7 depending not he numbers.

And now this, leaving the App Store. Did you think of this before? Is this intentional? is this definitive? Why ... is 1Password 8 NOT in the App Store right now? I, and it looks like I'm not alone, am starting to lose confidence on the product because you are not answering our questions. It really looks like you're abandoning the Mac at this point. And, if you're abandoning the App Store, it's much like you're abandoning the Mac. Even Microsoft Office is now in the App Store!

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

so... removing answers now? very adult

--- and the "removed" comment is visible again now.... weird

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @dteare

It looks like my previous post here was removed for some reason, not sure it's the best you could have done, since I'm still waiting for a more definitive answer here, so I'm asking again

• why is 1Password 8 NOT in the Mac App Store right now?

If this is too buggy to be accepted there, or you never had any intention of publishing it there, please tell us. We need to know to decide if we keep using 1Password or we need to look for less riskier alternatives (in that they're provided by Apple themselves or can be obtained from the App Store).

I think this all starts with the move to electron.... you seem to be quite in love with this move, but, the only thing that we users have been told about it is it's very fast and secure because of being coded in rust. But that doesn't mean it's not a memory hog, as many electron-based apps are! Do we have numbers? I certainly can run 1Password 8 in my main desktop once it's in the App Store because I've got a machine with 32GB RAM, but my daughter is on an 8GB M1 Mac mini... and before letting her "upgrade" I need to see numbers. Since I am not upgrading out of the App Store, I would like to see those come from you, but not even the speed of rust is measured!

If you keep giving us so vague answers like "the future is hard to predict", then I predict many of us Mac users will abandon the everyday smaller confidence we keep on the product, since we're not even sure now it will be published in the trusted place we expect to download it from.

• gmichels
    gmichels
    Community Member
    Options

I guess if someone just said the official reason it's not in the App Store, then everyone could make their peace with it. If there is no official word, all you see are people trying to come up with one. I can add one as well, maybe it's because it can't comply with all the security requirements, like sandbox and etc.

Misinformation about this will continue to exist until there is official information provided by who develops the app.

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    Options

Weird... the comment I was complaining was removed is visible now...

• also14
    also14
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

What are the instructions to safely migrate from 1Password 7 to 8 on Mac if there isn’t an App Store update? How does uninstall and switching Safari extension solutions work?
    You have paying customers who have no idea how to migrate to the latest version of an app they are paying a recurring subscription for. The intention of a subscription model vs one off purchase is specifically for the privilege of having access to upgrades, no?

• Ben
    Options

Hey @also14

We have a nifty guide on upgrading available here:

Upgrade to 1Password 8 for Mac

If your subscription is through Apple, you can still download the app directly from our website, and your subscription will carry over. There’s no need to change your billing information. As for the Safari extension, 1Password for Safari is available in the Mac App Store, here:

https://apps.apple.com/app/1password-for-safari/id1569813296

If you would like additional help I'd encourage you to reach out to our concierge team at support@1password.com. 😃

Ben

• also14
    also14
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    Options

That was pretty fast @Ben ! now what about giving a proper answer about 1Password 8 in the Mac App Store?

• Ben
    Options

I don't have anything I can add to what Dave said above, @xmarcelo. I'd encourage you to sign up for notifications for any news on this subject.

@also14

Thanks Ben

You're welcome!

Ben

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Hi @Ben — I've already signed up there but still no answer. If you're abandoning the Mac App Store... and maybe the Mac, too, please let us know right now so we can start looking for an alternative!

Anyway, it's been enough time to publish 1Password 8 in the app store if there is no impediment for it....

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member
    Options

Add me to the list. I would very much prefer to get 1Password 8 from the App Store. A while ago I exchanged all other apps to such that are available on the App Store. My main concerns are convenience and security. I don't normally have a lot of trust in those apps that aren't available from there. So please give us a hint if 1Password 8 will soon be available from App Store or not.

• jumbowombo
    jumbowombo
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben our organization needs 1Password 8 for Mac on the App Store since our MDM pulls from there and it's the simplest way for us to stay up-to-date

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jumbowombo

If you haven't already, please consider reaching out to your account manager to share your needs in this regard.

Ben

• ZoneDFense
    ZoneDFense
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Before the advent of the Mac App Store, every application had its own update management service that imposed OS resource consumption and introduced its own set of security vulnerabilities to MacOS. I prefer the MacOS app store because it reduces all of that complexity, inconsistency, security risk, and resource contention down to a single update service. Further, Apple is reviewing the code of apps that go into the App Store to ensure that it complies with their security standards. Lastly, Apps managed through the App store ensures a certain measure of install/uninstall consistency that are not necessarily required by non-App Store apps. Also, the distribution network for the software has a higher degree of security expectation as well. I trust Apple App Distribution Network to be much less vulnerable to man-in-the-middle injection of vulnerable apps.

• zforrester
    zforrester
    Community Member
    Options

Piling on here, hoping to see 1P8 in the AppStore soon!

• ahankins
    ahankins
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

I'm realizing that the Mac App Store is simply not going to happen and so I would like to stop receiving email notifications for every post.

I can not figure out how to unsubscribe from this thread? I have clicked on the yellow star at the top so it is not bookmarked but emails are still coming... what am I missing?

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    Options

@ahankins , do you have official communications about that?

I'm realizing that the Mac App Store is simply not going to happen and so I would like to stop receiving email notifications for every post.

I'm still dreaming it'll come soon enough, though I still have some doubts....

• zforrester
    zforrester
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

@ahankins https://1password.community/profile/preferences/ > Notification Preferences (although it'd be nice to unsubscribe from specific discussions :/ )

• ahankins
    ahankins
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! I agree, it’s strange we can’t ‘unsubscribe’ from a specific discussion but I think this should take care of it for me “Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in.” It seems as long as I bookmark a discussion I’m interested in, I will still be notified.

I don’t want to completely unsubscribe from 1Password discussions, only those that clearly aren’t going to go anywhere. :-/

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    Options

What worries me the most, with the current publish times for the App Store, there mush be a very bad issue preventing 1Password 8 to be in the Mac app store or maybe all that "love letter to the Mac" was empty words only and we're being left for windows and linux.

And since there is no official definitive word from anyone at 1Password, it looks like those are the last 2 options available now.

Please change my mind.

• Sowelu
    Sowelu
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

I am wondering if AgileBits wants to hold off on the App Store for a while in hopes of new customers downloading direct and getting 100% of those new subscriptions (avoiding Apple's cut).

Since this is a totally new version that is getting some press, they may see this as an opportunity to go direct until the buzz dies down. When it does, perhaps at that point they will need the App Store's traffic and visibility to pick things up again.

This is just a theory, and this makes perfect business sense if true, but I can't help but wonder why something so obvious (like not submitting a big new release to the App Store) is all hush-hush (or very vague, at best).

This discussion has been closed.