Version 8 in the Apple App Store?

Options

Comments

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

It's good to see that Apple themselves are continuously improving their own integrated Password management system. So, after so many years as a loyal 1Password user, I can see myself switching from 1Password back to Apples own solution. Yes, some features may still be missing over there which 1Password have, but on the other hand, it's integrated, it's free and it works without much headache.

• MarkBernard
    MarkBernard
    Community Member
    Options

I haven't updated our macBooks to 1PW 8, because it's still not in the app store.

I saw that 1PW 8 was in the iOS app store, and almost did my usual "install latest version without thinking".

But, I instead came back here, to see if I could run the new iOS 1PW 8 along with our macOS 1PW 7.9.6.

Based on what I'm reading, I'm going to wait a bit.

• smj1pwc
    smj1pwc
    Community Member
    Options

I ended up uninstalling the 1Password 8 iOS app, the only benefit was slightly faster unlock with faceID the app itself didn't seem native, it was like when you get those apps that are written in flutter - the whole UI doesn't seem to align with Apple's UI Guidelides and feels Javascript heavy.

I'm imagining that when / if 1Password 8 does ever get accepted to the macOS App Store - it's still going to feel like an Electron app.

• MarkBernard
    MarkBernard
    Community Member
    Options

The whole "Electron" thing isn't really an issue for me. I'd have 1PW8 installed already if it was in the macAppStore.

I might (definitely will) have an opinion after I use it ;)

• AndreGB
    AndreGB
    Community Member
    Options

I am so happy I've found this thread. I searched for 1Password 8 and Mac App Store and here I am.

I am +1 who wished the app was on the Mac App Store. But now seeing that the app is just another "Chrome" running on my machine, at all times, loaded on boot, is a big no.

I hope they don't force me to upgrade in the future. I will have to cancel my subscription.

• sergi11
    sergi11
    Community Member
    Options

Long time user here. I absolutely won't upgrade such a security-sensitive app from a random link to a zip file. They don't even provide any way to verify the download is legit, like a SHA hash. Considering what we pay for this software, not having it in the app store is absurd. As many others, I upgraded iOS/iPadOS to v8 and now my mac is out of sync with them. Hopefully that won't be a problem, otherwise I'll have to downgrade back to v7 on mobile.

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    Options

the worst part, @AndreGB , is the iOS version look quite as PWA-ish as the Electron-based version. They've told me it's SwiftUI with Rust... but... feels odd, like a glorified PWA with no visual language. I'd still install the "Rust-powered PWA" if it came from the Mac app store... provided it doesn't eat all my resources, but I'm not sure I'd call it "upgrading".

• Omid
    Omid
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for 1Password8 in the MacOS App Store.
    I also would like to install 1Password from the MacOS App Store, as this applies for all the software on my Macs.

Thanks.

• itsTyrion
    itsTyrion
    Community Member
    Options

ouch

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

So I have done it. I transferred all my login credentials over to Apples Passwords. Apple Passwords now gives us 2FA support; and notes can be stored together with any password item. For me, these two have been the main points which had made 1Password superior over Apples own keychain. But that's solved by now.

For ID cards, credit cards CVVs, License codes, and other kinds of secure notes, I'll store them as code protected notes inside Apples notes app.

And you know what? No issues so far. Life can be so easy.

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    Options

hi @iCoco

I suppose it should not be too difficult to come up with a few lines in for retrieving OTPs from the keychain, if someone hasn't published that yet. With hat ready I'd be ready to move out to Apple's Keychain alone. Anyway, here where we live we're moving to dynamic CVVs so you still need to use your bank app/site to retrieve them. Anyway, if I don't find the way to query the keychain for the OTP there's still some libraries that can produce them from the seed.... would have to store seeds from some OTPs elsewhere but that's not impossible at all, either.

Since there's no news on how/when will 1Password 8 be in the Mac App Store, I may be forced to move away from the 1password CLI for some automated tasks which involved retrieving OTPs.., but as I already said, there's more than one solution to this requirement. Some probably more elegant than others but definitely nothing imposible to come up with,

Again, I really loved 1Password and if it appeared soon in the Mac App Store, I wouldn't need to do any of this. But it looks the sentiment is not corresponded to us Mac users, so at some point we'll have to part ways with the loved app. Replacing 1Password with they Keychain and some python/swift or even plain old C++ code? Nothing we can't do, anyway.

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @xmarcelo

See here:
    https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/automatically-fill-in-verification-codes-ipha6173c19f/ios
    and here:
    https://9to5mac.com/2021/06/07/ios-15-ipados-15-and-macos-monterey-gain-built-in-two-factor-code-generator-and-autofill/

To move the 2FA thing over from 1Password to Apples Passwords, Im afraid you'll have to do that manually. That means, first go to the according web page of the service, turn off 2FA there, then turn it on again and, if prompted, scan the QR code using your iOS device (under the password you'll find a section "Account Options" where you find the item "Configure Code"). Of course you can also enter the 2FA code manually.

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @iCoco

I believe I moved my OTPs (2FA) by copying the OTP URLs from 1Password then stripping the part that wasn't the seed. In theory more complex but in the end all the information I wanted was there.

As for some CLI for retrieving OTPs, I need it because 1Password is (was?) part of my workflow on some operations in AWS, in which I need to use 2FA. If nothing else works, I'll have to store those seeds somewhere I can use them to generate the OTPs in my workflow.. but then again, we survived the MPWShell... this shouldn't be too difficult today.

• ahmedanis
    ahmedanis
    Community Member
    Options

There are so many reasons why we might need Mac App Store version. My company only allows software installations via the Mac App Store. That's just one reason. If they don't offer a Mac App Store version in next few weeks, I am just going to migrate to something else.

Hugely disappointed.

• Snarfjan
    Snarfjan
    Community Member
    Options

Ah. Glad I found this thread. Didn't even know there was a 1Password 8 app for Mac. For me it's not the biggest deal breaker when an app is not available in the App Store.

But come on...

"Could you please provide us a with a little context on why you'd like to see 1Password 8 in the Mac App Stores vs downloading it directly from the website?"

Really? 🙈

Actually I came here because I was searching for where and how to go through the subscription proces after the trial period, and then found out there was this 1Password 8 version for Mac already. And now I think I may need to think again.

• yanm75
    yanm75
    Community Member
    edited September 2022
    Options

First post. I've been a customer of 1Password since more than one decade. Two years ago, I even switched to the family subscription plan rather than just App purchase. I didn't even noticed that the version 8 ditched iCloud support, so that was a non issue for me.

Now, the non-availability of the latest version on the Mac App Store is a puzzler. To be honest, I've not even bothered to read this thread to see if there was any explanation: the thread started in May and now, more than three months later, it is still not available on the App Store, so it will likely never be.

I will clearly not update to the latest version on Mac until it is made available. I simply don't trust companies that remove their Apps like that. Period. Chasing downloads is also a pain that I want to minimize (I'm managing several computers across the family). Yes, we can still get version 7 in the store, but we all know that this is not a long-term solution.

So for me, I will reconsider my 1Password subscription when times comes to renew it.

• punintended
    punintended
    Community Member
    Options

Well folks, with the non-response of AgileBits and the need to find a different solution, I tried out Lastpass (supplied by my employer) and Bitwarden, while looking at other platforms. Bitwarden is the winner for my circumstances, my family. I highly recommend everyone look at it and try it.

• Omid
    Omid
    Community Member
    Options

@1Password support: please respond. When can we expect 1Password in MacOs App Store?

• Chaosphere
    Chaosphere
    Community Member
    Options

Dear 1P Team, you are in the security business and your paying customers want to know why you don't stick to providing us with the added security of obtaining 1Password via the Mac App Store, so why is that?

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    Options

Since you have failed to deliver a Mac App Store version of 1Password 8, the least you can do for the people that continues using 1Password besides the fact you have failed to continue support fort us tied to the App Store for software installations, is to continue to support 1Password 7 UNTIL at least the moment you make an equivalent distribution (via Mac App Store) of 1Password 8 available.

Making 1Password 7 "not supported" under these circumstances is unacceptable.

1Password Version: 7.9.6
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: macOS 12.6
    Browser:_ Safari

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member
    Options

**"I hope this all was just a bad dream, if it is not, I will migrate to Apple Password Manager and Apple encrypted notes in the coming months."
    I did exactly this about two months ago, and guess what - not looking back. :)

• Yilk81
    Yilk81
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, this is actually pretty poor support. I've posted here back in May and expected something to have changed in these few months but we seem to still be in the same position....

People from 1password, you do realise that there are companies using your products right? Companies who pay you quite a substantial amount that are not able to distribute your latest software with ease because it's not in the app store. Come one, you are better than this.

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

Completely agree. Looks like keep waiting for 1Password 8 to appear in the Mac app store is a complete waste of resources. Better start looking for something else — And, telling everyone I've recommended 1Password during all this years to think of alternatives, too. Most of them will have enough with Apple's "Passwords" feature that now also support MFA.

• scottreynolds
    scottreynolds
    Community Member
    Options

Well, macOS Ventura is forcing the issue. 1Password 7 itself works fine, but the browser extension does not, and that's truly a shame.

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

Well. I'm not sure that's something new. I've been seeing 1Password 7 support being worse over time for the last 6mo. I would like to believe it's because of you know, "software", but can't really avoid thinking they're trying to get rid of us users remaining in 1Password 7 for the Mac. A real shame since there's no good replacement from them in the App Store.

This discussion has been closed.