Upgrade/Switch from Web 1PW3 to MAS 1PW

Options
richsadams
richsadams
Community Member

I've been using 1PW for years and am currently running Version 3.8.21 (family pack purchased from the agilebits website) on our Macs. I tried the web version of 1PW4 when it was first released and had all sorts of problems so I uninstalled it and received a refund...thank you agilbits!

Now it looks like a lot of the bugs have been ironed out and I'm considering upgrading to the latest version. I also like the convenience of the Mac App Store for downloads, easy upgrades, etc. so unless someone convinces me otherwise, would purchase the MAS version of 1PW.

When I "upgraded" to 1PW4 previously 1PW3 was left on my Mac. Subsequently I ran into numerous sync issues with my Macs, iOS devices, etc. and I never found clear instructions about how to delete 1PW3 without affecting the database (on Dropbox) or clear up the syncing issues. So I'm still a little leery of making the switch.

That said I've read a lot of posts and watched several agilbits migration videos but I haven't found one clear set of instructions for doing what I would like to do...migrate from the web version of 1PW3 to the MAS version of 1PW.

Apologies if this has been covered, but I'll be darned if I can find what I need to know to avoid messing things up. I have over 400 logins plus other important info that I cannot afford to lose. Any advice and guidance would be truly appreciated.

TIA

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @richsadams,

I'd be happy to help you migrate to 1Password 4.

I also like the convenience of the Mac App Store for downloads, easy upgrades, etc. so unless someone convinces me otherwise, would purchase the MAS version of 1PW.

I won't try to convince you to purchase directly from the Agile webstore if you're keen on the Mac App Store version, but if you haven't done so already, please take a read through our Where to Purchase guide, to familiarize yourself with the differences. The one benefit many people have seen with the Agile webstore version is that we are able to update this version immediately with bug fixes and new features, while the Mac App Store version is subject to an approval process.

Please note that we are unable to provide the upgrade discount via the Mac App Store.

When I "upgraded" to 1PW4 previously 1PW3 was left on my Mac. Subsequently I ran into numerous sync issues with my Macs, iOS devices, etc. and I never found clear instructions about how to delete 1PW3

When you are ready to delete 1Password 3, we recommend removing only the app itself, and updating your browser extensions. The rest of the data stored by 1Password can be useful to keep around, as the app has backups that could be useful (although we certainly hope you don't need to make use of them!)

That said I've read a lot of posts and watched several agilbits migration videos but I haven't found one clear set of instructions for doing what I would like to do...migrate from the web version of 1PW3 to the MAS version of 1PW.

Upgrading to 1Password 4 should be a simple process. Whether you are using the Agile webstore version or the Mac App Store version, 1Password should detect your existing data and prompt you for your Master Password. There's an article called Helping 1Password find existing data in Dropbox that can help you get your data into 1Password if 1Password doesn't find it immediately. Because the Mac App Store is subject to some sandboxing regulations, 1Password may not automatically find your keychain in Dropbox if you have stored it in a non-standard location. (The default location for this data is /Dropbox/1Password/)

You will need to update your browser extensions extensions as well. Make sure to Uninstall 1Password 3 browser extensions and download the new version 4 extensions here.

Once your data is all updated in 1Password 4, you can safely remove the 1Password 3 app by dragging it to the trash.

I hope this helps, but don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions!

This discussion has been closed.