New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Comments

• dannus
    dannus
    Community Member

+1 for a native Linux version!!

I'm presently use 1password for Windows and Android. Would be great if you had something for Linux.

• Thanks for the votes! :)

• nvision
    nvision
    Community Member

I made an account just to vote.

+1 for Linux!

I'm loving 1Password but I'm really disappointed in the lack of support for Linux. Please don't give me a reason to switch...

• unreal4u
    unreal4u
    Community Member

Hello :)

Now that 1Password for Teams is out (well, in beta at least), are there any plans to develop a Linux client? We (as in the company) are currently evaluating different password manager options, but the lack of a native Linux client is going to be a problem. I am using Mac, but some colleagues use Linux and other Windows. It looks and works amazing (in my opinion, way better than LastPass) but I'm afraid that we're picking LastPass only because of the better Linux support.

If I can tell my boss that you're going to do something with Linux in the future, he may accept to use the webpage for now.

Greetings and keep up the great work!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@unreal4u, @nvision: Thanks so much for the kind words of encouragement! I'm sorry to say that we don't have anything to announce for our Linux fans right now, but I hope we'll be able to tackle it in the future. :)

• shengruoyu
    shengruoyu
    Community Member

+1 for a native Linux version!!

• hollandlef
    hollandlef
    Community Member

+1 to a native Linux version!

• bucky
    bucky
    Community Member

+1 for a native linux version.

• bucky
    bucky
    Community Member

+1 for a native linux version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bucky, @hollandlef, @shengruoyu: Thanks for letting us know you'd also like us to create a Linux version! :)

• rberger
    rberger
    Community Member

Is there a way to have people in our company on Linux boxes use 1password for teams?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

No @rberger. Teams doesn't even support Windows yet.

• @rberger 1Password for Teams has a web interface in which Linux users can read and edit information (as much as their Team Admin allows for an individual's permissions).

The Teams web interface does not communicate with the browser extension, so filling forms on another website is not possible with Teams on Linux.

• virtualmarc
    virtualmarc
    Community Member

A native Linux Client like other password managers like enpass have would be great. Using 1pw with Wine works but is not that great.

Since 1pw for Teams we now have a web access which works a bit better than using the Windows Version in Wine but whats still missing is a Browser Extension, which is probably the most used part.

An idea would be a Browser Extension for 1pw for Teams. Since Browser extensions are basically just JavaScript it would probably be easy to implement since you already have JS Code to work with your vaults. (see 1password Anywhere and 1pw for Teams)

You just need to let it communicate with the sync api. Maybe cache the vaults locally.

Would be a big step forward for linux and you have a unified browser addon that works everywhere.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@virtualmarc: I hope that perhaps 1Password for Teams can be a stepping stone for us in the direction of boarder platform support. A browser extension for 1Password for Teams could be awesome. Probably not easy to implement, but something we may explore. You're right that if we could get a full featured, cross-platform, browser-based version of 1Password that would give everyone a lot of flexibility. Here's hoping! :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your vote! Perhaps we'll be able to grant this wish one day. :)

• Jakeonator
    Jakeonator
    Community Member

Would be GREAT!
    Very buggy if it runs on Wine...

Fedora please

• Hi @Jakeonator,

Thanks for the feedback! Other reports that I've heard from customers running 1Password with WINE have been positive, overall, though I understand many still want a native application. Could you please start a new thread in our 1Password for Windows forum elaborating on the difficulties you've had running 1Password in WINE? While I can't make any promises it may be possible we could improve upon this experience.

Windows - AgileBits Support Forum

Please include a link to your post here ( https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/274696/#Comment_274696 ) in your new thread so we can "connect the dots."

Thanks!

Ben

• FlameDuck
    FlameDuck
    Community Member

Another Linux (Ubuntu LTS if it matters) user here.

We're actually evaluating 1Password for Teams ATM, and it's really great, particularly compared to the alternative of using regular 1password with Google Drive. However the lack of Linux support could be a deal breaker, because using Linux is not that uncommon on Development teams.

So what's it gonna take?

• ferthalangur
    ferthalangur
    Community Member

Greetings to All:

Full and fair disclosure: this doesn't count as a +1 for the Linux product, because I already put in my request back in October 2015. I have been watching this thread since then.

It is difficult to gauge exactly what's happening at Agilebits, wrt a Linux port, whether the situation is:
    1. They don't believe that a Linux port will generate enough revenue, as a standalone product, to justify the software developer, test, QA and support staff necessary to make that a reality
    2. They are working on a native Linux port at some level, whether it's something being hacked on at night clandestinely by one of their developers, or in "skunkworks," or somewhere in their product development pipeline.

Since their policy is not to disclose plans for new products or features until they are ready for Beta testing, we can't know for sure.

I would like to present an argument for the "business case" for supporting Linux.

Supporting Linux has nothing to do with pleasing the hundreds of Linux enthusiasts who have posted here on the support forum. It also has nothing to do with revenue generated by selling a Linux port. Forget about that. If you are going to sell your 1Password product like a solid commodity, like flashlights, you are limiting the longterm success of 1Password.

It does not matter if your Linux port never generates a single penny of sales revenue. That is not why you need to develop and support it.

1Password is a brand and it needs to position itself as a product for more than the "home user password vault" niche. Even small, non techy-heavy businesses are using Linux desktops these days. Large businesses are definitely going to have Linux on the desktop, as well as the need for password-vault technology on "bouncer" servers to securely store and retrieve encryption keys and passwords.

The decision-makers who are going to decide whether to evaluate, let alone purchase 1Password are going to go through their list of requirements. If Linux support is on that list, they will not bother with 1Password. Some competing products already offer Linux support. Others have stated that a Linux product is in the works. Companies are not going to buy one solution for Windows/Mac/IOS/Android and another one for Linux ... the whole point of this technology is to have secure, simple access to passwords and sensitive data where you need it.

Instead of counting how few licenses of 1Password/Linux you will be selling, you should be considering how many licenses of 1Password/Windows, 1Password/OSX, 1Password/IOS, 1Password/Android and especially monthly subscriptions to 1Password/Teams that you will not be selling because the people who would otherwise select your product as the superior one will not even consider it at the starting gate.

I would like 1Password to be the winner in this product niche. I would like to be able to recommend 1Password over "the others" to my clients and colleagues, without reservation. However, without Linux support, I can't do that.

• FlameDuck
    FlameDuck
    Community Member

I would like to +1 the notion that 1Password needs to break out of the "home user password vault" niche, for two reasons.

1) There are lots of alternatives for this (it's a saturated market).
    2) Most of them are free'ish, (you don't want to win a race to the bottom).

Currently 1Password is ahead of the curve, because of teams, but how long is it going to stay there? How long will it be before someone adds "Teams" functionality to KeePass?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@FlameDuck, @ferthalangur: Wow. Thanks! Those are some very cogent points. There are always going to be good reasons to support Linux and other platforms. 1Password for Teams is a good option now, and hopefully we'll be able to offer a more native solution in the future. :)

• +1 for a Linux client. I'm using Ubuntu. Wine takes up 350MB, I had to create my own *.desktop file for the launch bar, and have to manually reset the Helper at odd times. It doesn't work with my team's vaults. It has frozen my computer already today.

• Thanks for the feedback, and the vote, @freefoodandmonitors. :)

Ben

• niemalsnever
    niemalsnever
    Community Member

@freefoodandmonitors This might be only a small silver lining for you, but I've been able to fix the "restart the 1PW Helper at odd times"- thingy and also having to start and restart the helper after booting my computer by following this simple tutorial to have the 1PW Helper autostart when my PC starts which @JohnHeroHD linked a few weeks ago here:

http://www.johnherohd.com/1password-on-ubuntu-automatically-start-the-helper/

I did this on a Linux Mint machine, but it should basically work similarily on Ubuntu.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed! I enjoyed that tip myself. Cheers! :)

• Nitecon
    Nitecon
    Community Member

I built an app that uses node.js + golang that allows me to read / use my 1password files on linux. If anyone is interested in this let me know and I'll be happy to upload the work to github. If you are a golang dev feel free to also let me know as I can definitely use support on this.

As a side note because it's electron (node_us) and golang it can run on any platform windows / linux / mac but currently it only shows the mobile view.

• Nitecon
    Nitecon
    Community Member

I ended up pushing the repo to github so anyone with some knowledge in golang / node.js (electron) will be ablet o build it. Once the app has it's configuration mangement done I'll start generating the binaries so it can just be downloaded to run. Link for the app is here: https://github.com/Nitecon/1Password

• Thanks for doing that, @Nitecon! This is one of the great things about having an open data format.

That said, we cannot recommend that anyone enter their Master Password into anything other than 1Password.

Ben

• Nitecon
    Nitecon
    Community Member

100% agree with @bwoodruff which is why I made it fully open source so people are welcome to contribute and also validate the source code that there is no nefarious stuff going on. Also in it's current state it uses the 1password anywhere by just providing a web server around it similar to how dropbox works. One addition that I will probably make since you're using knockout is to just put in an asside so we can add new items instead of just view and maybe an interface for 1password browser extension.

This discussion has been closed.