New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Comments

• BeOS
    BeOS
    Community Member

Hey AgileBits fellows!

A couple of suggestions:

1. Now that Swift is available for Ubuntu (not production ready, but usable nonetheless), and some people have created open source GTK bindings for it, porting 1Password to Linux might be easier than before. Also if your Windows version is written in .NET, another alternative is to port it over to Linux using Mono (and re-implement the UI) and eventually migrate it to .NET Core.
    2. You might want to create an Indiegogo or Kickstarter campaign to crowd fund the project and then hire a couple of experienced Linux developers (C++ or Mono/C#) to build it. Now that Ubuntu is going to enter the mobile and tablet markets more seriously, I think the ROI wouldn't be that bad either, if not beyond expectations. ;)

Cheers!

• illizian
    illizian
    Community Member

+1 for a Linux app
    +1 for donating to a Kickstarter

• davetypes
    davetypes
    Community Member

I signed up just to tell you that adding a Linux app would be a killer feature for me and my team. I've paid for multiple versions of 1Password in the past and have been very happy with 1Password on OS X and the iPhone. Lack of Linux support is the one thing I've been very unhappy with.

• Thank you for all the feedback and votes folks.

Now that Swift is available for Ubuntu (not production ready, but usable nonetheless), and some people have created open source GTK bindings for it, porting 1Password to Linux might be easier than before.

Could be. :)

Also if your Windows version is written in .NET, another alternative is to port it over to Linux using Mono (and re-implement the UI) and eventually migrate it to .NET Core.

I believe our Windows application is written primarily in Delphi. I'm honestly not sure what language is behind our new Windows 10 beta, but it may very well be .NET of some sort.

I think the ROI wouldn't be that bad either, if not beyond expectations.

While I'm sure the ROI is thought about at some level, I can say that it is not the primary factor for why we don't have a Linux application. To avoid spreading ourselves too thin we need to finish up some other projects (for some definition of finish) before we take on others. Simply throwing more developers -- even good developers -- at the problem isn't a viable solution. There is a lot more to shipping a product than just development. There is also design, customer service, QA, etc, and resources are required from each of those camps.

Thanks.

Ben

• awff1
    awff1
    Community Member

I just registered specifically to leave a +1 -- a Linux client is for us becoming a necessity. I've been a longtime license holder of 1password, but I like others will be forced to switch away unless the product becomes truly cross-platform.

It is surprising that it has taken 5 years of requests, and still there's been no motion on this.

With dissatisfaction in Windows 10 (telemetry features that can't be disabled, etc.) and the quality of Apple's software apparently on a downward trajectory (http://www.cultofmac.com/405387/walt-mossberg-apple-should-fix-its-software-in-2016/), many people and companies are moving to Linux for a stable and reliable desktop experience.

By October, Ubuntu is set to release a version that will (allegedly) work across devices -- isn't it wise to skate to where the puck is going, not to where it's been?

• whargrove
    whargrove
    Community Member

Going to toss my hat into the ring here because 1Password for Linux is an omission that may have been passable in 2010 (when this post was created) but is inexcusable almost 6 years later.

• dukeofgarda
    dukeofgarda
    Community Member

+1 for linux support

• dcdeiv
    dcdeiv
    Community Member

Please, I don't want to use Wine. Just make a Linux version of 1Password! I don't care if it's deb or not. Give me the source code and I will compile it myself!

• rationaloutlook
    rationaloutlook
    Community Member

+1 for Linux support.

• adamlogan
    adamlogan
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

Registered here put in my +1 for a linux client despite reading the faq and the article about using the windows version on wine. I use virtual machines and a multi boot environment frequently, Linux is handy for many reasons. I think the people who are willing to spend money for a quality password manager are going to be the same ones who value security, privacy, and convenience. Sounds like the computer geek to me, and I suspect the number of computer of geeks that use linux too is probably high. How many of these same people get to decide what software gets put on computer labs for their institution or business?

Anyways, I would greatly appreciate a desktop client, I'll ask nicely, please :) . Considering the fact that you don't have to support a webservice like lastpass does, to provide a webapp with all our data on the cloud, I would like to think you could be putting that saved/extra cash to fund development of a linux client.

Lacking cross platform support is the biggest missing feature in your product. The neglect is quite unnecessary, there is a lot of untapped help if you are willing to work with the open source community, You can explore use of the appropriate license to protect your work/intellectual property.

For perspective, what's the next biggest feature you have on the roadmap currently? Bug squashing? A native Linux client is top of the list in mine, and a lot of other ex lastpass users minds. After that it's all gravy.

• dfuentes77
    dfuentes77
    Community Member

+++1 here. 4 words: LastPass has linux support. Why would you want to let whole companies choose Lastpass over 1Password because of the need for a Linux client. There is ever increasing demand for Linux compatibility, especially among developers?

• fpn
    fpn
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

We want to used one password (Ubuntu 14.04, OS X).
    +1 for a Linux client

• Thanks for the continued votes and feedback, folks. :)

Ben

• Taz77
    Taz77
    Community Member

+1

And there are more people wanting the same thing. https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9091691

And this person wrote a Lua script to decrypt the 1Password vaults using your master password on Linux as a temp fix.

• Helladen
    Helladen
    Community Member

+1.

I use 1Password on Windows/Mac/iPhone. I have spent a lot of of money on the program due to it being the best local storage option for password - KeePass is the best free one.

I would definitely pay for the program as long as it wasn't too expensive, especially if people have bought the program before.

• Russell Damerell
    Russell Damerell
    Community Member

+1

I have used 1Password for years on Mac and IPad. Would love to able to use it on Linux as well!

• dannus
    dannus
    Community Member

I did purchase 1password and liked it however I now use Linux on my travel laptop so I switched to enpass. It does all the platforms and does not orphan the windows app like 1password.

• vzaliva
    vzaliva
    Community Member

I am currently switching from Mac to Linux as my primary computer (work reasons). I have identified 1Password as the single most critical app without which I can't live and hence switch completely. I always loved cross-platform aspect of 1Password which allowed me to use it across the several devices I use.

As some people indicated above, Linux version needs not to be sexy. For me, it is about being able to access my information. Even simple command line tool will work.

Also to anticipate your potential business concern that Linux users may not be willing to pay as readily as MacOS users, I can tell you that I, for one, will gladly pay full price for Linux app.

• azrobbo
    azrobbo
    Community Member

+1 for Linux Support (Ubuntu or Debian).

I've been using 1Password on OSX, Windows and iOS for years, but had to install Enpass on my Ubuntu machines so I have access to my usernames & password.

You've made a lot of very valid points about not spreading yourselves too thin, and I understand the need for focus and maintaining quality & customer satisfaction. But just be careful about the possibility of another company (like Enpass) getting a foothold on these "evolving" platforms.

This it somewhat reminiscent of Microsoft's decision with Microsoft Office to ignore the mobile market and focus on Windows and Mac only. Their substantial lapse in releasing mobile versions allowed competitive products to gain substantial traction.

• pierrickv
    pierrickv
    Community Member

+1 :)

• We appreciate all of the votes folks. :)

Ben

• riquito
    riquito
    Community Member

We appreciate all of the votes folks.

Sorry, but after more than 5 years it doesn’t really feel like it. Even the apple watch has been deemed an higher priority, and the neverending "Thanks for the feedback!" comments sound hollow at this point.

Today I've been asked at the office which password manager we should introduce in the company. Since half of the company uses Linux I just couldn't suggest 1password (no, I won't have my colleagues install and setup Wine for a paid product) . We will put our money elsewhere, and I don't like it much. I will look into this thread every now and then for my personal future subscription, but today you lost a customer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We appreciate all of the votes folks.

Sorry, but after more than 5 years it doesn’t really feel like it. Even the apple watch has been deemed an higher priority, and the neverending "Thanks for the feedback!" comments sound hollow at this point.

@riquito: Well, we mean it. And as I'm sure you can imagine, developing for WatchKit is a comparatively small undertaking when compared to Linux.

Today I've been asked at the office which password manager we should introduce in the company. Since half of the company uses Linux I just couldn't suggest 1password (no, I won't have my colleagues install and setup Wine for a paid product) . We will put our money elsewhere, and I don't like it much. I will look into this thread every now and then for my personal future subscription, but today you lost a customer.

Understood. And I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that someday we'll be able to make a full-fledged Linux application. Unfortunately the answer at this time still has to be "not now". :(

• ferthalangur
    ferthalangur
    Community Member

@riquito ... If the information is not proprietary, would you mind sharing with the forum how many licensed users (not just Linux, overall enterprise-wide) you eventually expect to have installed?

• Nitecon
    Nitecon
    Community Member

I was in same position as @riquito which is why I started the Linux add-on but eventually just had to say no to 1 Password for it's non Linux port and non interest in developing a Linux port. So another 2000 or so sales for agile bits is down the drain. Sad cause I really like the product :(

• riquito
    riquito
    Community Member

would you mind sharing with the forum how many licensed users (not just Linux, overall enterprise-wide) you eventually expect to have installed?

@ferthalangur not as many as @nitecon, 20-30, growing

• dbrandon
    dbrandon
    Community Member

+1 for Linux support. I use Linux at work and now that 1passwordAnywhere is no longer supported I'm nervous that I may lose access to my vault. I'm going to be typing passwords manually from my phone. Annoying. Like other people are saying, form filling is not necessary for me. Just any way to get at my logins.

• @dbrandon,

I realize of course that it isn't going to be a solution for everyone, but in case you have not seen already, 1Password for Families and 1Password for Teams do offer Linux compatible web interfaces that allow for not only reading but also writing of your 1Password data.

Also: we don't believe in data lock in. Our data format is totally open. Anyone can build a tool to interface with it. And our Mac and Windows clients offer the ability to export to plain text if desired.

I know a number of folks are holding out for a native Linux client, and that isn't off the table, but even if we decide to do such a thing it won't happen over night. We haven't mentioned any of this, that I've seen, on this page of this thread, yet, so I figured it would be worth reiterating the current state of things.

Thanks!

Ben

• JasonKh
    JasonKh
    Community Member

+1 for Linux! I use it on Windows, OSX, and IOS as well. Man, if SqlServer makes it to Linux before 1password... ;)

Keep up the great work. I will take a look at 1Password for Families and Teams.

Best,
    Jason

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your vote, and the kind words! The Linux SQL Server situation is something I'm following, mainly because the "new" Microsoft has been doing a lot of "weird" (for "old" Microsoft) things recently. :pirate:

This discussion has been closed.