iCloud Session Expired: repeated sign-in prompts syncing with iCloud [addressed in version 6.8.6]

Options

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No worries. A Chrome sync issue? That's a new one to me, but I'm glad you were able to narrow it down. I'm not sure I wold have been able to figure that out! :lol:

• gryz
    gryz
    Community Member
    Options

As an aside I am having the same issue. I will note that I switched over to the iCloud syncing after being on the Dropbox syncing for a long time when it suddenly had some problem (broken file or something I forget now) that was difficult to fix and it seemed the best course of action was to switch over to the iCloud where I have encountered this issue. It's been a medium rare level of annoying and I've finally gotten around to seeing what the deal is and am glad to see that it's being actively being worked on. Any idea (guesstimate) of how long this might take to play out? Trying to decide if I should bang my head against the dropbox problem again or just be annoyed for a while longer...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gryz - sorry to hear you've been bitten by this as well. We don't have any idea when it might be fixed, mostly because we're still not entirely sure what it IS. I think it's been mentioned previously in this or other threads on the topic, but we are actively working with Apple to see what might have changed or gone wrong; the CloudKit utilized by apps downloaded from the Mac App Store is not quite the same as the CloudKitJS used by non-Mac App Store apps like 1Password downloaded from us. That's why only people who downloaded our version are experiencing this difficulty.

Bottom line: we want to get a solid, permanent solution to this out into users' hands probably as much as you want it, so rest assured it's being actively worked on and we will have it out to you as soon as humanly possible. And in the meantime, thanks for your patience. :)

• mickeyblueye
    mickeyblueye
    Community Member
    Options

Having the same issue here. I use 1password everyday and I have to log in every morning because of the iCloud session expired issue. Due to my work, I travel to China every month and Dropbox is block in China, therefore I cannot use Dropbox to Sync. I hope you have a lead to this issue and is working on a solution. Thanks~

• regravity
    regravity
    Community Member
    Options

I have this exact same issue. Multiple machines of course, 1password updated on all devices, latest macOS up to date.

macOS High Sierra 10.13
    1Password Version 6.8.5 (685004)

Concerned that this issue won't be resolved and we'll have to purchase additional licensing through the Mac AppStore.

If this ends up being the case it's enough of an issue for me to rethink my continued use and support of 1Password, even though I've been a license holder for many years.

I would expect if it isn't resolved then current license holders should be provided an AppStore purchase code for free license of the AppStore version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gryz: Please start a new discussion and @-mention me. I'll be happy to help you get up and running with Dropbox in the mean time. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Having the same issue here. I use 1password everyday and I have to log in every morning because of the iCloud session expired issue. Due to my work, I travel to China every month and Dropbox is block in China, therefore I cannot use Dropbox to Sync. I hope you have a lead to this issue and is working on a solution. Thanks~

@mickeyblueye: I hear you. That's certainly a bit of a pickle. The bad news is that I'm not sure what will be necessary to find a solution, so I can't say for certain how long it will take; but the good news is that we're determined to get this resolved, whether that means some changes on our end, on Apple's, or both. Thanks for your patience.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Concerned that this issue won't be resolved and we'll have to purchase additional licensing through the Mac AppStore.

@regravity: That's not going to happen. We'll come up with something else if necessary.

If this ends up being the case it's enough of an issue for me to rethink my continued use and support of 1Password, even though I've been a license holder for many years. I would expect if it isn't resolved then current license holders should be provided an AppStore purchase code for free license of the AppStore version.

We can't do that. Please keep in mind that the AgileBits Store version of 1Password could not originally sync with iCloud at all. That's something we put a lot of time and effort into making possible at the beginning of 2016 — a new feature you and all others who purchased 1Password for Mac from us since 2012 for free. I hope that counts for something.

• pawel_guraj
    pawel_guraj
    Community Member
    Options

Hi All,

Same here, the problem started on my MacBook Pro without any particular reason few days ago. Now I have to reauthenticate almost twice a day. Selecting or deselecting "remember me" option does not change the behavior (as it did in the past).
    I also tried to clear Safari cache and data but it did not solve the problem.

Br, Pawel

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pawel_guraj: "Keep me signed in" will give you a longer session...but we're talking a day versus 8 hours or so at this point, so not super helpful. It used to be about a month. We'll see what needs to be done.

• zauser
    zauser
    Community Member
    Options

Has anyone else noticed that even if you appear unable to connect to iCloud (as happens to me) 1Password still syncs?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zauser - that shouldn't be the case. To reiterate, this will only happen if you have 1Password for Mac purchased from us (AgileBits -- not the Mac App Store variety), and you use iCloud as your sync method. Even then, it doesn't happen to everyone. If this is you, and you also have other devices (like iOS devices) on which you use 1Password, syncing with iCloud as well, those other devices should sync as they always have because they use Apple's implementation of native CloudKit, not the CloudKitJS which we've had to use in order to get the non-Mac App Store version of 1Password to sync via iCloud.

But you're telling us you've got our version of 1Password 6 for Mac and it's syncing properly even while it's throwing the re-authentication dialogue? Do I have that right?

• gboi
    gboi
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here, but worse. I turned off sync, restarted and tried turning it on again. Now, all it does is sit with the spinning sun cursor saying loading iCloud information... It will not connect at all now.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for reporting, @gboi - and sorry for the inconvenience. In the meantime, you can switch to either Dropbox for your sync method if you need a cloud-based sync solution, or WLAN if you're trying to sync between one desktop or laptop instance of 1Password and multiple mobile devices.

For anyone else reading this thread, the best way to use 1Password with the fewest difficulties possible is the use of a 1Password account. It eliminates inconsistencies with 3rd party sync APIs, as well as host of other issues.

• zauser
    zauser
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, I'm back to "normal" using both Safari and Chrome browsers.

WHAT HAPPENED:
    1. I created a Secure Note called "Lars Test" :) in the Mac (using 1Password bought from your site)
    2. Went to my iPhone and "Lars Test" was there!!
    3. Went to Preferences in 1Password on the Mac and it confirmed that a sync had taken place. See screen grabs
    4. Hope the problem has been resolved for all?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@zauser - that's great! I'm glad iCloud sync has resumed for you. And I hate to be a big ol' raincloud here, but I have to warn you that this may be only temporary. That's been the nature of this problem: iCloud syncing DOES work...but you get asked to re-authenticate frequently due to something that's changed or a problem that's cropped up for some users of 1Password from our site. It hasn't ever been that iCloud sync doesn't work at all, just that you're required to re-authenticate with iCloud with annoying regularity. So, keep an eye on things. You may get a re-authentication pop-up in a few days, and if so -- for now, unfortunately -- the only workaround is to simply go through the motions and re-enter your Apple ID credentials. After that, normal iCloud syncing should resume...until the next time it happens. Or until we get to the bottom of this, which hopefully won't be too much longer; we know how annoying it is. Thanks to everyone in this thread for your patience; we're working as diligently as we can to get rid of this inconvenience and put things back to normal.

• msanta
    msanta
    Community Member
    Options

In my case, this is only happening with my new MacBook Pro, my MacPro hasn't given me the error yet.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@msanta - yep, that's one of the things we're trying to figure out -- why it's happening to some users (or some Macs) and not others. We'll be letting the community know as soon as we have a fix available for this. Thanks for reporting -- and for your patience. :)

• Shadow
    Shadow
    Community Member
    Options

Not sure if I mentioned this already but, I have the same issue as the previous post. I went from a 2016 MacBook Pro to a 2017 MacBook Pro. That’s when the problem started.

• gryz
    gryz
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Thanks much! I understand being involved in app development as well. At some point someone at Apple will reveal or recognize the un- or poorly documented flag, and your developer will flip a bit somewhere....Once that happens, what's your release cycle like these days? Seems like it's pretty quick once a solution is in hand if I recall other situations that have come up.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gryz -

Seems like it's pretty quick once a solution is in hand if I recall other situations that have come up.

We certainly try. I'm not in a position to say what's causing this (not because someone's telling me I can't, but because we just don't know yet), so I certainly don't want to blame Apple.

But yes, when we've got a bug that affects a significant number of users in a way that's, well, significant, we definitely work to get a fix into people's hands as quickly as possible. I really do wish I could be more specific with you, but at the moment, we're just not in a position to do that.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for reporting, @Shadow. Every bit of data is helpful at this point.

• justinph
    justinph
    Community Member
    Options

Might be just a coincidence, but this started happening to me when I downgraded my MBP to 10.12.6 from 10.13.2 (too buggy).

• chrisbrandhorst
    chrisbrandhorst
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I have a new MBP (13" Touch Bar) and have this issue. My old MBP (13" Late 2013) still syncs fine. Both using Opera as browser.

• zauser
    zauser
    Community Member
    Options

My joy was short-lived. I had to authenticate again this morning. Grrr

• dhbkpme05
    dhbkpme05
    Community Member
    Options

Similar to @Shadow, the issue started for me when I upgraded to a new MacBook Pro, and removed the old one from the list of devices under my Apple ID account. Since then, the issue's been happening across all my Macs.

Thanks for your persistence in tracking this down, @Lars!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're quite welcome, @dhbkpme05 -- and a big thanks to YOU and everyone else in this thread who's giving us details of the conditions under which this has happened (or stopped happening) to them. You guys are awesome. :)

• Why
    Why
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm that this behaviour started when I upgraded my iPhone and deleted the old one from the iCloud website. 1Password for iPhone kept working as usual, but my Mac started showing the message.
    I hope this helps :).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Why - thanks for reporting! :)

• pscherz87
    pscherz87
    Community Member
    Options

Confirming the same issue here as well. I recently upgraded to a 2017 MacBook Pro, and I was going nuts thinking it was a migration issue or a problem with iCloud/MacOS.

I'm not sure if this helps, but here you go:
    macOS 10.13.2 (17C88)
    1Password v6.8.5 (685004)
    1Password Safari Extension v4.6.12

This discussion has been closed.