iCloud Session Expired: repeated sign-in prompts syncing with iCloud [addressed in version 6.8.6]

Options

Comments

• pscherz87
    pscherz87
    Community Member
    Options

I extracted some logs from the 1Password Mini log file that shows an error with CloudKit sync. Is there an e-mail I can send the logs to? Doesn't seem like I can attach here.

Thanks,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

In case it helps clarify for @gboi or anyone else, the "sinning circle" is part of Apple's webpage and has no impact on sync. Even if you're still seeing that, if you've already gotten the prompt saying that you were successful, you're good to go and can just close the page.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pscherz87: Sorry for the trouble there. As we work with Apple on a solution, the only options currently are to sign into iCloud when prompted, or to use a different sync method.

• Gemjocky93
    Gemjocky93
    Community Member
    Options

How do I stop this annoyance?

1Password Version: 6
    Extension Version: 6.8.5
    OS Version: OSX 10.10.5
    Sync Type: ?
    Referrer: forum-search:First times getting "iCloud Session Expired" notices. How do I stop this annoyance?

• undwd
    undwd
    Community Member
    Options

Issue appears to be getting worse, not better. I used to only be greeted with the iCloud sync error when accessing 1Password while on the internet. Now I'm getting the error just opening 1Password on my Mac! Frustrating to say the least. 1Password was the first and best password management solution; not so any more as there are many contenders to choose from now. Long-time, loyal customers should not have to pay a subscription fee in order for a paid-for program to work as advertised. If not resolved soon, I will be forced to seek out an alternative password manager. Disappointed.

• danielcompton
    danielcompton
    Community Member
    Options

I've had this on all my devices too. I wonder if it is Apple resetting session tokens out of an abundance of caution after Meltdown and Spectre?

• Hileotech
    Hileotech
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I'm queuing up because I have the same issue... I thought it was because I shifted from Dropbox to iCloud sync (a couple of days ago), but I see there could be another issue...
    Waiting for any hint to solve this annoyance.

• Hileotech
    Hileotech
    Community Member
    Options

Following this thread, as I have the same issue. I recently switched sync from Dropbox to iCloud and I have this message popup every time I open 1Password... I checked the "Keep me signed in" thing, but no way.
    I can't switch back to Dropbox :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@undwd: I'm sorry to hear that. To be clear, you didn't purchase 1Password from the AgileBits Store with the capability to sync with iCloud; we added that as a free update for you and everyone else. Unfortunately we don't have control over iCloud authentication, but as I mentioned above we're working with Apple to find some solution for this issue. In the mean time, you can sign in as required, or use another sync method, like Dropbox, if you don't want to use 1Password.com. However, if you'd like to enjoy all of the added benefits a 1Password.com membership has to offer, feel free to shoot us an email at support@1password.com — just post the Support ID you receive here and we'll be happy to help you make the transition. Either way, you have options. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hileotech: I'm sorry for the trouble! Can you tell me what difficulty you're having with Dropbox? I'll be happy to assist with that, or help you make the transition to 1Password.com instead if you'd like. Either way, just shoot us an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here so we help. :)

• Hileotech
    Hileotech
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

@brenty : thanks for your kind answer! No particular problem with Dropbox sync: I just closed my account for some reasons not related to 1Password. If this issue goes on I will simply create a new Dropbox account, but I would prefer using iCloud, if possible.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hileotech: Ah, thanks for clarifying. I can't say when we'll have a solution in place for this, so if it becomes a pain point for you in the mean time that might be worth considering. But we're working on it. :blush:

• Hey @Gemjocky93! Sorry about that. The timeout on iCloud sign-ins was recently changed to 8 hours, so you'll be asked to sign in more often than before. To make things easier, next time you're asked to sign in, please check the "Keep me signed in" box before you do, then you'll be all set to go in the future. Hope that helps! :)

• sonicspot
    sonicspot
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here, installed on my new iMac, macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C88), Chrome 63.0.3239.132, 1Password 6 6.8.5 (685004).

I get asked every day. Let me know if there's anything I can provide for additional analysis.

• RickCunn
    RickCunn
    Community Member
    Options

I have been a 1P user for so long I can't recall where I bought it, but most likely from AB directly. And I am having the same problem as the rest of the users here. Since the problem seems to be limited to the version bought from AB, is there any way to get a complementary copy from the Apple Store? The AS version appears to be the same as the AB version (6.8.5).

• danielcompton
    danielcompton
    Community Member
    Options

@Jacob what was it changed from? Does that mean that I'll have to sign in once/day to allow iCloud syncing to work? Is this something under your control, or is it Apple's change?

• GeekChickLife
    GeekChickLife
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having this issue as well. I recently did a clean install of the MacOS, and now I'm getting the iCloud session expired every day, even though I have already said to keep me signed in. Very frustrating and annoying.

• AUSFestivus
    AUSFestivus
    Community Member
    Options

+1 on this.

I run several private/incognito sessions at a time as well so the need to reauth ever ~24 hours is multiplied by the number of sessions I have running.

Dare we ask for an ETA?
    Has the RCA completed? Is the problem understood now? Is it known who needs to make the fix? Agile or Apple?

• japanime
    japanime
    Community Member
    Options

@pscherz87: As we work with Apple on a solution, the only options currently are to sign into iCloud when prompted, or to use a different sync method.

You left out another option: Use a different password manager.

This issue seems to come up about once a year, and it usually takes a couple of weeks for Agilebits to sort it out. Not acceptable. In the days before iCloud, 1Password was rock-solid. Now, it's hit-and-miss from one month to the next.

After wasting time because of this issue once again, I'm now looking for alternatives.

• ayembee
    ayembee
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Seems I have now been hit by this too, as of about two days ago -- my gf has been complaining about it for quite a bit longer though, so whatever it is didn't seem to hit all at the same time (she's on a US Apple account, I'm on a UK account, maybe some difference there in the internal rollout of some authentication changes). Very odd :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I get asked every day. Let me know if there's anything I can provide for additional analysis.

@sonicspot: I'm sorry to say that it's entirely up to us and Apple at this point, but thank you for the kid offer — and your patience!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have been a 1P user for so long I can't recall where I bought it, but most likely from AB directly. And I am having the same problem as the rest of the users here. Since the problem seems to be limited to the version bought from AB, is there any way to get a complementary copy from the Apple Store? The AS version appears to be the same as the AB version (6.8.5).

@RickCunn: I'm sorry for the inconvenience. That isn't possible, as we don't control the App Store and there is no way to "transfer" a purchase there from our own system. We're working with Apple to find a solution for everyone though. Keep an eye out for updates!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ayembee: First of all, happy festivus! :chuffed:

+1 on this. I run several private/incognito sessions at a time as well so the need to reauth ever ~24 hours is multiplied by the number of sessions I have running.

The browser shouldn't have any effect on this, unless you're doing the initial auth in an incognito window (I'm not sure how that wouldn't happen though). Can you clarify?

Dare we ask for an ETA? Has the RCA completed? Is the problem understood now? Is it known who needs to make the fix? Agile or Apple?

No harm in asking, but we don't have any further information to share at this time. We'll update this thread when we do.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

You left out another option: Use a different password manager.

@japanime: That's another option too, but the others (signing in or switching sync) are completely free with regard to both time and money. ;)

This issue seems to come up about once a year, and it usually takes a couple of weeks for Agilebits to sort it out. Not acceptable. In the days before iCloud, 1Password was rock-solid. Now, it's hit-and-miss from one month to the next.

Sorry to hear that you feel that way. But the reality is that we do not control iCloud, and this isn't a feature you paid for; it was a free update for all customers who'd paid for the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 4, 5, or 6, which originally could not use CloudKit to sync with iCloud at all. :blush:

After wasting time because of this issue once again, I'm now looking for alternatives.

Absolutely. We'd rather you use something else you're happier with to secure your data than nothing at all. Stay safe out there! :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Seems I have now been hit by this too, as of about two days ago -- my gf has been complaining about it for quite a bit longer though, so whatever it is didn't seem to hit all at the same time (she's on a US Apple account, I'm on a UK account, maybe some difference there in the internal rollout of some authentication changes). Very odd :(

@ayembee: Thank you for sharing that! It may be that it hit you later if you'd gotten an authentication closer to where new ones starting having shorter expirations. I'm sorry for the inconvenience — and, frankly, confusion about that. I can't say for certain when or how, but we'll find a solution for this.

• paulcwr
    paulcwr
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue. It's making the 1password syncing really problematic since I now have to sign in to icloud almost every day... any ideas to change that sign in duration?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@paulcwr: I'm sorry for the inconvenience. The session duration isn't something we can change, but we're working with Apple to find a solution. In the mean time, the options are to sign into iCloud as required, or use a different sync method.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jacob what was it changed from? Does that mean that I'll have to sign in once/day to allow iCloud syncing to work? Is this something under your control, or is it Apple's change?

@danielcompton: Apple determines the session expiration for iCloud. As far as I know the "long" version used to be about a month, but for some reason it seems to be much shorter since a couple weeks ago. We're working with Apple to see if there's something they want us to change on our end, or if there's another solution for us all. Hang in there!

• AmyESS
    AmyESS
    Community Member
    Options

Just started for me this week, using a MacBook Pro. Updated to 10.13.2 on December 15. Using Safari.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AmyESS: Thanks for letting us know! Hopefully we'll have another solution soon. Thanks for your patience.

This discussion has been closed.