iCloud Session Expired: repeated sign-in prompts syncing with iCloud [addressed in version 6.8.6]

Options

Comments

• KeithL
    KeithL
    Community Member
    Options

Count me in on this issue also. iCloud-session-expired problem started within the last month and happens now on a daily basis. I purchased 1Password directly from AgileBits on 6/9/2014.

• RickCunn
    RickCunn
    Community Member
    Options

Can AB provide an estimated date for resolving this fiasco?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@KeithL Thanks for reporting, we'll have a solution for this as quickly as we're able.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RickCunn - Unfortunately not. We're working with Apple to determine what's changed and what the problem might be, but as is the case with most troubleshooting where the problem isn't immediately apparent, it'll be addressed as soon as we've discovered how best to do that.

In the meantime, the workaround is: sign in when asked (far from ideal, we're very aware), and a solution would be to switch to either Dropbox or a 1password.com account to eliminate the iCloud re-authentication issue. Thanks for your patience.

• Lynn
    Lynn
    Community Member
    Options

Just stared this past Sunday Jan 8.
    1 Password purchased from Agile store.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yep, @Lynn -- our apologies and those are the conditions needed for this to occur: 1Password from us instead of the Mac App Store, and iCloud as your sync method. What we're not sure about just yet is why this is happening to only a subset of users, and not everyone. We're looking into this with Apple to see what may be different about these users' setups, and what's changed to bring this about in the first place. As soon as we have something to report, we'll definitely let everyone know.

• Irvin
    Irvin
    Community Member
    Options

Mac 10.13.2
    1Password 6.8.5
    asking to connect every few hours.

• rlfsoso
    rlfsoso
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, just to report I have the same issue, since about beginning of this year. MBP Retina mid 2012, running 10.12.6, 1Password 6 6.8.5 (685004). I have been using iCloud synch when I started using an iPhone last year. Not really willing to shell out subscription money for 1Password synch as I have paid for a license (since like way back). Now asking when using the 1Password app too. Hopefully you will find a solution. Cheers, Rolf

• Zwerk
    Zwerk
    Community Member
    Options

I have had this issue for over 4 months. It was pointed out that this is only related to those of us that purchased the product directly. I purchased version 3 and all the upgrades up to 6.8.5 and I also recall not being able to use the iCloud sync when it was first offered because I did not buy from the App Store. I don't understand why you sell your product directly if App Store buyers have a more reliable product? Why not offer me a refund and I will buy it from the App Store?

• Frameshop
    Frameshop
    Community Member
    Options

I too have this annoying problem since sometime in December last year. 1Password purchased directly and iCloud sync. It is an older MacPro so only running 10.11.6. I've just updated to 6.8.5. I was running 6.8.0 and had received no update notifications even though this was selected in Preferences.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Mac 10.13.2 1Password 6.8.5 asking to connect every few hours.

@Irvin: You can avoid having to sign into iCloud every few hours by checking the "keep me signed in" box when you sign into your Apple ID. Unfortunately this will not give you a session that lasts longer than a day, but it will be better than not checking it. We're working with Apple on a way for it to not be necessary to sign in as frequently though. Thanks for your patience.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rlfsoso: Thanks, Rolf. We're exploring solutions for the iCloud sign in issue with Apple. Hopefully we'll have a solution soon.

• ichi
    ichi
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Hello,
    As some of you, I suffer from that issue with iCloud authorization.
    As Lars stated :
    The issue appears for some users under the following conditions:
    You are using iCloud as your sync method
    Your copy of 1Password for Mac is from us and not the Mac App Store.

As he adds :
    A small percentage of users who fit both of the above criteria are getting pop-ups requiring them to reauthenticate with iCloud far more frequently than they should be (some as frequently as every hour or so).
    It looks that the relation between 1Password & Mac App Store are complicated.
    It reminds me that I bought twice the app from Apple store and also direct from 1Password. I never understood how to handle this mix-up even when contacting 1Password Help. That was a nightmare. Never got any answer…!
    Is there a way to get help in my case ?
    Regards.
    Ichi

• Shadow
    Shadow
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, if I uninstall 1Password and purchase another copy from the Apple store will this issue be resolved? At this point, I’m ready to spend the extra money.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have had this issue for over 4 months. It was pointed out that this is only related to those of us that purchased the product directly.

@Zwerk: I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like you may have been having a different issue previously though, perhaps with not checking the "keep me signed in" box. Prior to last month that would have gotten you an iCloud session about a month long. The issue being discussed here started in December 2017, which I can understand is a bit confusing.

I purchased version 3 and all the upgrades up to 6.8.5 and I also recall not being able to use the iCloud sync when it was first offered because I did not buy from the App Store.

Indeed, originally Apple's policies did not allow us to use iCloud outside of the App Store, so we weren't able to add that to the AgileBits Store version until the release of 1Password 6, which was a free upgrade for you and everyone else who purchased versions 4 or 5 from us.

I don't understand why you sell your product directly if App Store buyers have a more reliable product?

iCloud isn't our product. But in my experience these past years, it is reliable (unlike MobileMe was). And until less than a month ago, iCloud sessions (with "keep me signed in") were about a month long. We're not sure why that changed, but it's something we're in contact with Apple about. You make a fair point that it's clearly having an impact on our product though, 1Password, and therefore 1Password users, and that's unfortunately the reality of relying on a 3rd party service. That's why we created 1Password.com, so that if there's a sync issue there we can fix it quickly, as we have control over that. The only thing we can do in this case is work with Apple and do whatever they recommend, if changes on our end are needed.

Why not offer me a refund and I will buy it from the App Store?

We can offer refunds on licenses purchased through us in the last 30 days, per our guarantee. We can't refund years-old purchases. We can, however, help you transition to a 1Password.com membership if you'd prefer that. Just contact us at support@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here, and we'll be happy to help you make the transition.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I too have this annoying problem since sometime in December last year. 1Password purchased directly and iCloud sync. It is an older MacPro so only running 10.11.6. I've just updated to 6.8.5. I was running 6.8.0 and had received no update notifications even though this was selected in Preferences.

@Frameshop: I'm sorry you had trouble updating, but you did the right thing by getting the latest version from our website. If the app cannot establish a secure connection to the server, for security reasons it will not use an insecure connection as a fallback. We're working with Apple on a solution to the iCloud issue, and we'll announce it here once a resolution is available. At this time I don't know if that will be a change server side, an update to the app, or both.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Brenty, if I uninstall 1Password and purchase another copy from the Apple store will this issue be resolved? At this point, I’m ready to spend the extra money.

@Shadow: As far as we've seen, apps from the Mac App Store are not affected by this. So that would probably work. But I'll be honest: I wouldn't feel comfortable tell you you to spend the money regardless if you've bought it already, but certainly given the fact that we don't know what the problem is there's no guarantee this won't ultimately affect the other as well. For example, if we hear from Apple that we're somehow in conflict with one of their guidelines, that would also apply to the App Store version as well, since both are from AgileBits. I have no reason to believe that's the case, as obviously 1Password has been in the App Store for a long time without issue; but stranger things have happened. I'd encourage you to consider the alternatives:

• Sign into iCloud when required — obviously, this is becoming tedious for you and others)
    • Use Dropbox to sync your 1Password data instead — it's always encrypted the same no matter what, so the security is the same as well
    • Migrate to a 1Password.com membership — we can't give you a refund for an old license purchase, but we'll be happy to see what we can do to help you make the transition; just shoot us an email at support@1password.com and post the Support ID you receive here

I'm sorry I don't have more information at this time, or, better yet, a resolution to this issue, but it's something we'll continue to work with Apple on until it's resolved for all customers using iCloud with the AgileBits store version of 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It looks that the relation between 1Password & Mac App Store are complicated. It reminds me that I bought twice the app from Apple store and also direct from 1Password. I never understood how to handle this mix-up even when contacting 1Password Help. That was a nightmare. Never got any answer…! Is there a way to get help in my case ? Regards.

@Ichi: First off, I apologize that I missed your comment earlier. Without more information it's hard to say. I wish you'd contacted us sooner, but better late than never. I can't promise anything since we cannot give refunds for App Store purchases, and I'm not sure about the time frame on the rest, but if you'll shoot us an email at support@1password.com with your receipts and post the Support ID you receive here I'll be glad to see what I can do to help. :)

• rkbaker48
    rkbaker48
    Community Member
    Options

I have finally gotten around to checking the support forum as I have had this iCloud session expiration problem for quite some time and it is annoying. I must log in each day to iCloud and authorize 1Password Mini on my late 2016 MacBook Pro. I'm running MacOS 10.13.2 and 1Password 6.8.5.

• jellis1
    jellis1
    Community Member
    Options

Just a me too on this issue. 1Password Mac 6.8.5, macOS 10.13.2. Fingers crossed there is a fix soon.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rbaker48 - it definitely is annoying; we're working with Apple to understand what's going on, what changed, and how best to address this so you can go back to syncing via iCloud without this interruption.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jellis1 - Thanks for reporting. We're working with Apple on it. Stay tuned!

• DaveAH
    DaveAH
    Community Member
    Options

For weeks you've been saying stay tuned...we don't know what's wrong...we'll ask Apple...hopefully as soon as possible :).
    Do you have any progress to report? Anything to add?

• HypoLuxa
    HypoLuxa
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Now its every 2 hours I need to re-sign in. This is getting a bit out of hand after investing a decent amount of money on a piece of software.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DaveAH - we really do appreciate how irritating this issue is for those of you who have 1Password for Mac from us and who use iCloud to sync their Primary vault. And we trust you'll believe us when we say that we're working with Apple to resolve this as quickly as possible. If you've been with us for a while, then you'll know that we don't issue "progress reports" on bug fixes, not because we want to keep things from you but because often there isn't much to report until things are so close to fixed that there wouldn't be much appreciable difference between announcing what's going on, and announcing the fix itself.

If you're someone who's been affected by this bug, and you're finding it intolerable, you've got a couple of options:

1. You can open a 1password.com account and migrate your data
    2. You can switch your standalone data's sync method to Dropbox or WLAN, either temporarily or permanently.

The third option, of course, would be for you to continue re-authenticating with iCloud when prompted, making sure you check the "Keep me signed in" box each time, to maximize as much as possible the time before you're asked to do so again. If you're in a position where you can't switch sync methods or open a 1password.com account, this is your only option -- but it's not the only option available. And we will most certainly be shouting it from the rooftops when we have a solution ready. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@HypoLuxa We're truly sorry for the inconvenience. This is something that's changed about the interface between CloudKitJS (which 1Password uses to authenticate with Apple) and Apple's own mechanisms for handling such authentication. We're working with Apple to determine what might have changed and how best to address it. In the meantime, please see my previous post (just above) for suggestions on how to address it until such time as we have a more stable solution. Thanks for your patience.

• HypoLuxa
    HypoLuxa
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars I would never put data on dropbox. that’s just a bad idea to even have it be an option in your software, whether the data is encrypted or not, that’s like suggesting we put a backup on Google Drive, no thank you.

That being said, I am being patient, but 24 hours is one thing, 2-3 hours is another.

• voimala
    voimala
    Community Member
    Options

AgileBits people are handling this situation very well. What we as users can do is also let Apple know they have a problem to fix. I've submitted a report to https://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html, and encourage others here to do the same. The feedback page can feel like a black hole sometimes, but I've also seen my reported issues addressed (eventually).

• BoxCar
    BoxCar
    Community Member
    Options

Same here across multiple Macs, 10.13.2 Supplemental, 10.12.6, and 10.13.x (whose number shall not be typed). AgileBits Store version 6.8.5.

• what_is_ploth
    what_is_ploth
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here - Very frustrating.

I'm sceptical that this will be sorted - it's already weeks old...are Apple wanting to push password apps out to try to force us to use their iCloud password 'manager'?

I reiterate what others have said - submit a report to Apple https://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

I'm surprised that Agile hasn't tested a few people with a free app store download to see if it does fix the issue...this would get people onto the app store version for long term too.

OSX 10.11.13

1Password 6
    Version 6.8.5 (685004)
    AgileBits Store

This discussion has been closed.