iCloud Session Expired: repeated sign-in prompts syncing with iCloud [addressed in version 6.8.6]

Options

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Lars I would never put data on dropbox. that’s just a bad idea to even have it be an option in your software, whether the data is encrypted or not, that’s like suggesting we put a backup on Google Drive, no thank you.

@HypoLuxa: While it's certainly your prerogative where you store your data, the rest is demonstrably false: since your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance. Storing data in plaintext on a remote server is a terrible idea, but 1Password doesn't work that way: it isn't depending on Dropbox or iCloud for security. Otherwise we wouldn't offer either of those as options, or use them for our own data, as any of us having our Dropbox or iCloud accounts compromised would expose everything we've stored in 1Password. That is, provably, and refreshingly, not the case.

That being said, I am being patient, but 24 hours is one thing, 2-3 hours is another.

I haven't seen any further change in this. It's still about once a day here. Are you not checking the "keep me signed in" box before submitting the form?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

AgileBits people are handling this situation very well. What we as users can do is also let Apple know they have a problem to fix. I've submitted a report to https://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html, and encourage others here to do the same. The feedback page can feel like a black hole sometimes, but I've also seen my reported issues addressed (eventually).

@voimala: It's greatly appreciated, and good advice generally, but is not necessary in this case, as Apple is (are?) aware of the issue. I'm confident that they're working as hard on this as we are, so whatever is determined to be the appropriate resolution will be put in place as soon as possible. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Same here across multiple Macs, 10.13.2 Supplemental, 10.12.6, and 10.13.x (whose number shall not be typed). AgileBits Store version 6.8.5.

@BoxCar: Thanks for confirming. That'w what we're seeing as well. This seems to only impact AgileBits Store + iCloud, but affects that version of 1Password 6 across all supported macOS releases — Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra, and High Sierra — as the problem involves our app and Apple's servers. As soon as we have more information (or, better yet, a solution), we'll be sure to share that here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Same issue here - Very frustrating.

@what_is_ploth: I hear you. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. :blush:

I'm sceptical that this will be sorted - it's already weeks old...are Apple wanting to push password apps out to try to force us to use their iCloud password 'manager'?

I don't think there's any reason to believe that. We've got a good relationship with Apple, and have no reason to believe they wouldn't simply tell us that were that the case. iCloud is their service, and we're on their platform, so if they feel there's good reason to change their policies or enforce them differently, that's their prerogative and we'll have to fall in line. But they're pretty good about telling developers that need to change their apps and/or practices, as that's the only way there will be any compliance. There have been similar issues with iCloud in the past too, after all, and they've resolved them. And if there's anything we need to do, we'll do it.

I reiterate what others have said - submit a report to Apple https://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

Again, while I think generally that's good advice, it isn't necessary with this since we're in contact with Apple directly about this issue. I have no doubt they'll come through for us, as they always have in the past, either by making a change on their end, telling us what we need to do on ours, or both.

I'm surprised that Agile hasn't tested a few people with a free app store download to see if it does fix the issue...this would get people onto the app store version for long term too.

I'm not sure what you mean. As far as we're aware, this issue only affects CloudKitJS, which non-App Store apps use to connect to iCloud. I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with the Mac App Store version, as that is able to connect to iCloud through the OS itself.

• what_is_ploth
    what_is_ploth
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply,

In regard to the Mac store version – I saw a comment you left for someone else he was going to buy the Mac App Store version and you suggested that it might not help.

Customers who have this issue paid good money and could be, like me, looking at other solutions to their password means. To be forced to sign in continually is actually worse than the situation that initially led us to invest in 1 password.

Maybe you could offer a discount to people like us to switch over to the Mac App Store version so we can stick with one password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your reply, In regard to the Mac store version – I saw a comment you left for someone else he was going to buy the Mac App Store version and you suggested that it might not help.

@what_is_ploth: You're right. I should have been clearer. Sorry about that. I'll try to clarify:

I don't work for Apple, so I cannot say definitively that using the Mac App Store version will help. That said, in our testing and reports from customers, I haven't yet seen a case of this same issue happening there. However, my suggestion to recommend against purchasing the Mac App Store version was because they shouldn't have to do that. There are alternative sync options, and this will be resolved one way or another. No one should have to purchase 1Password 6 again from another store. It isn't something I would do, so it isn't something I'd expect anyone else to either.

Customers who have this issue paid good money and could be, like me, looking at other solutions to their password means. To be forced to sign in continually is actually worse than the situation that initially led us to invest in 1 password.

I disagree that having to sign in is worse than not securing your passwords.

Maybe you could offer a discount to people like us to switch over to the Mac App Store version so we can stick with one password.

We can't do that, as the App Store is owned and operated by Apple. We can only give discounts in our own store, as there's no paid upgrade system in place in the App Store.

• erogers3
    erogers3
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having this same issue. I'm using MacOS 10.13.2, Safari, and 1Password 6.8.5. I always sign into 1P Mini and I get the prompt to log into iCloud every time I log into 1P, even if it's been less than 8 hours. I've tried the discontinue synch, restart, synch, ..., etc. suggestions and the Keep Me Signed In box is checked. No joy. Still prompts me every time I log into 1P. From all the users on this thread, it doesn't appear to be only a small % of users affected.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@erogers3: Well, Mac > AgileBits Store > iCloud is going to be a relatively small part of the 1Password userbase, so Lars was just being factual. That's not to say it isn't something we're concerned about, and that you and the others affected aren't important to us. If you weren't, we wouldn't be here responding or working with Apple on this. We'd just say "iCloud sync is no longer supported". But because we care about you and the rest of our awesome customers, we're determined to get this resolved. Thanks for your patience in the mean time.

• SINJ
    SINJ
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here, very annoying :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SINJ: I'm sorry for the annoyance. :(

In the meantime, the workaround is: sign in when asked (far from ideal, we're very aware), and a solution would be to switch to either Dropbox or a 1password.com account to eliminate the iCloud re-authentication issue. Thanks for your patience.

• SINJ
    SINJ
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

• SINJ
    SINJ
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, 1 password account needs membership :(. i don't want to start another membership and pay there as well. I am already paying to use ICLOUD.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SINJ I think brenty was just pointing out your options, as well as the fact that there ARE options. To reiterate what he said above, we are aware this is an inconvenience and we're sorry it's affected our Mac/iCloud users. We definitely want to see this issue resolved as quickly as possible, and we're working towards that end. We'll be letting everyone know as soon as we have a solution. And in the meantime, if individual users find the inconvenience of having to authenticate with iCloud one or more times per day intolerable, we're reminding people of other sync options to avoid it. And we're happy to continue to do so, if necessary, but the basic range of options here hasn't changed since this problem first appeared: we're working with Apple on a solution, as soon as one is ready it will be made available, and in the meantime, these are the workarounds.

• SINJ
    SINJ
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Thank you, I am sure you will soon find a solution.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SINJ - yep! Thanks for your patience. :)

• SanityFox
    SanityFox
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I bought 1Password from you guys directly, and I'm having the same issue on my 2011 iMac, but not my 2010 MacBook Air. Very weird. I'm mostly just commenting to follow the thread. I've never had anything but amazing support from you guys, so I'm sure you're as frustrated with this as we are. I'll sit tight and spend a few extra seconds each day having to sign in. :chuffed:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SanityFox - thanks so much! It is frustrating for us, but that's at least partially because we know how frustrating it is for all of you users. If this were happening to ALL Mac/iCloud users who had our version of 1Password for Mac instead of the Mac App Store version, this would probably be easier to nail down. But as you've seen in just your own 1Password 'ecosystem', it's not happening everywhere, and we're not quite sure why that is just yet. Thanks for your patience, and your understanding. :)

• Dak
    Dak
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, are you able to replicate this in house? I just switched from iCloud to Dropbox and back again and it's not happening as often (perhaps even not at all, but I'm not going to tempt fate by making that claim yet!).

IF it recurs and you haven't replicated in house, let me know. I'm at Bay/College Yonge/Gerrard during the day. I could swing by if that's helpful.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Dak - thanks so much for the offer of help! I had to chuckle a bit, since I'm hundreds of miles away in the USA, myself -- but we actually have been able to see this firsthand on some of our own devices, so no need to drop by the office unless you just want to say hi -- in which case, come on by! Sounds as if you're already well familiar with the area. :)

• Davide
    Davide
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here... (on 2 Macbooks with 2 different iCloud accounts)

1Password 6
    Version 6.8.5 (685004)
    AgileBits Store

macOS 10.13.3 Beta + macOS 10.12.6

• KevinWood
    KevinWood
    Community Member
    Options

Please fix this issue ASAP

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Davide - thanks for reporting! Did you notice anything else going on when this issue first began? Did you change anything with respect to 1Password, or other aspects of macOS?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for weighing in, @KevinWood :)

• zcrowman
    zcrowman
    Community Member
    Options

I have been having the same issue with daily requests to reauthenticate my iCloud account. Looking forward to a solution. Soon!

• KevinWood
    KevinWood
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars. There were no changes other than regular updates. I've enjoyed this product for many years and this is one big hiccup at the wrong time. Really need a solution that's not consuming my time--already in short supply.

• fongd
    fongd
    Community Member
    Options

This recently started happening to me shortly after ringing in the New Year… around the same time, I had logged out of iCloud across all of my devices to resolve some weird issues I had been having (unrelated to 1Password). I get this prompt every day, always in the morning the first time I use 1Password on my Mac.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the additional info, @KevinWood.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @zcrowman! So are we. :) I don't mean that flippantly; we want this resolved as much as you do. And rest assured we will let all of you know as soon as we have a solution. Thanks for your patience. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fongd -- OK, who doesn't love a good Kool-Aid Man avatar? That's awesome. Thanks also for providing helpful, specific information about exactly how this started occurring for you. I assume you've already read our advice to make sure you've got the "Keep me signed in" box checked, but if not, definitely do that the next time you're asked to authenticate. It won't solve the issue if you've been bitten by it, but it will at least make sure you're not bothered even more frequently than necessary. Thanks for your patience, and for the information! :)

• fongd
    fongd
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars - yep, "Keep me signed in" is checked. I didn't have a problem until after I signed out of iCloud and it's been driving my crazy since!

This discussion has been closed.