iCloud Session Expired: repeated sign-in prompts syncing with iCloud [addressed in version 6.8.6]

Options

Comments

• sergeysedykh
    sergeysedykh
    Community Member
    Options

Having the exactly same iCloud Session Expired issue. Have to reauthenticate with iCloud every single day, even though the Remember Me checkbox is checked. Have never used iCloud for syncing before and switched from Dropbox and now having this issue. Don't want to get back to Dropbox though. Let me know, if you need more details and how I can solve the issue. Thanks!

• Ozymandias
    Ozymandias
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem but have found (hopefully) a workaround......

Login into icloud.com through your default browser and "Pin" the icloud.com tab after logging in.

I have been running with this as a solution for over a week now.

• wfranko
    wfranko
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Add me to the list of those having this same problem, every time I open Chrome again or if eI want to save a new password.

1Password 6.5.8 AgileBits Store
    macMini, OS X 10.13.2
    Chrome 63.0.3239.132

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fongd -- yep. Apologies again. Keep an eye on updates, and we'll have a solution for this available as soon as possible.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sergeysedykh - Sorry to hear you've been bitten by this bug, especially since you were a recent transfer from Dropbox sync! If this is really bothering you, and you already have familiarity with Dropbox, I'd suggest returning there for sync until this is solved. But I'd be remiss if I didn't also mention that a 1password.com account is an excellent alternative. In fact, one of the reasons we built 1password.com to begin with is because we noticed how big a percentage of users' difficulties with 1Password concerned sync issues from either WLAN or third-party sync APIs. We built 1password.com to be a set-it-and-forget-it sync solution where accessing your 1Password data is as simple as signing into your account in 1Password on any device. Your data are available (nearly) instantly, with no fussing about with advanced manual sync setup.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ozymandias Interesting! So you're leaving both your Mac and Safari running constantly, with the tab pinned? Or are you able to quit the browser or even restart your Mac and have it continue to work?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wfranko - apologies, and thanks both for reporting and for your patience with us as we work with Apple on this to come up with a solution.

• sergeysedykh
    sergeysedykh
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars I've already purchased 1Password and would not like to pay again for the 1password.com subscription. I've also deactivated Dropbox (that's why I actually moved to the iCloud sync option). So, I'd love to have the iCloud sync work as intended.

• jmbrasil
    jmbrasil
    Community Member
    Options

This start to me a few days ago and its extremely frustrating.... I want my money back to repurchase the 1password from Apple Store.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sergeysedykh Gotcha. :) We'd like to resolve this and get iCloud sync working the way it's supposed to again, also. We'll let everyone know as soon as there's a working solution.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmbrasil - While we're truly sorry for the inconvenience this is causing to some of our users, we aren't issuing refunds as a result. The exception to this is if your purchase was made within the last month. Earlier in this thread, you can find the workarounds we recommend until there's a comprehensive solution (they've been stated in several replies by AgileBits staff). If you have any questions about getting switched to a different sync method, we'd be happy to assist.

• jmbrasil
    jmbrasil
    Community Member
    Options

I just want to switch to Apple Store version.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmbrasil we don't discuss details of customers' purchases on this public forum, for obvious reasons. If you have details of your receipt for a purchase of 1Password from the past month, send them along to support+forum@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread in your email so we can "connect the dots." We'll be happy to help.

• jdpierce21
    jdpierce21
    Community Member
    Options

I am facing this issue as well. It does not appear to matter which browser (Chrome or Safari) I authenticate with, I am still prompted to sign into iCloud just about everyday.

1Password 6
    Version 6.8.5 (685004)
    AgileBits Store
    macOS 10.13.3 Beta (17D34a)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jdpierce21 - sorry for the inconvenience. As you can see if you've worked your way through this thread, you're not the only one whom this bug has bitten, and we're already working with Apple to get everyone a solution. In the meantime, you can choose Dropbox or WLAN (depending on your setup) for an alternate sync method, or if you'd like an even better solution, check out a 1password.com account.

• jdpierce21
    jdpierce21
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Thanks! I am going to "wait it out." I just wanted to provide my information as well even though it might not be helpfull. Thanks again!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jdpierce21 -- yep, understood - and appreciated! You never know what information might help shed light on an issue. Especially one that's not affecting all users who share the same set of characteristics. For everyone's sake, we hope to have this resolved soon. Thanks again! :)

• ajmexico
    ajmexico
    Community Member
    Options

This has been happening consistently on 3 Macs; MBA, MBP & iMac, all High Sierra 10.13.2. I'm seeing this in Firefox and Chrome. I realize that this is probably something Apple did. Can you give us a workaround, like maybe a "Not Now" button so that whatever I'm trying to do doesn't get covered up by the iCloud logon window?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ajmexico - Thanks for reporting! I'm not willing to throw Apple under the bus; the iCloud syncing mechanism that's employed by the AgileBits version of 1Password for Mac doesn't benefit from the direct hooks into macOS (and therefore iCloud) that the Mac App Store version does. In the Mac App Store version of our product, it's much easier because of that. In our own version, we have to use CloudKitJS, which approximates what built-in iCloud does, but has to use Javascript to do so. It's almost like having to use a third party utility even though the players (Apple and us) are the same in both cases.

With regard to your suggestion, we're not going to be doing that specifically -- at least not at this point. There are a few reasons: first, it introduces a new element into 1Password for Mac that is only present in one version. This would need to be coded and designed, and it doesn't actually solve anything. Worse, it takes those hours away from working toward a real solution, and it introduces complexity that may wind up causing problems or confusion for still other users. And don't forget, what you'd be saying "not now" to is the sync of your data. I certainly hope this won't be the case, but if it took another three weeks or a month to come up with a real fix, that would be plenty of time for users' different installs of 1Password on various devices to get significantly out of sync, potentially causing more problems there as well. That's why for the present at least, we're recommending people just either live with the inconvenience (and believe me, we recognize it's an inconvenience -- but it's NOT a risk to your data integrity), or switch to either one of our other advanced sync methods (Dropbox, WLAN) or a 1password.com account. Anyone wanting more information about any of those options in regard to their own specific 1Password setup is welcome to write in to us at support@agilebits.com. Once again, apologies for the hassle and extra steps, and thanks for everyone's patience.

• TheMacMommy
    TheMacMommy
    Community Member
    Options

I’m having this issue and I meet both criteria having purchased 1Password directly from AgileBits and I sync my primary vault via iCloud. I’m asked to re-sync and sign in to iCloud several times a day while using Safari 11.0.2 in macOS 10.13.2 on a MacBook Pro 2016. I’ve checked the box to keep me signed in, which used to help, but no longer remains signed in. I’ve also made sure I have the latest update installed for 1Password. Is there a way to sign up to be notified when this is fixed? Will there ever be a way to move to the MAS version without having to re-buy the stand-alone version? Perhaps a redemption code for those of us that are stuck? (only a suggestion) I know you’re working hard on a solution for us and I appreciate it greatly.

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. Just wanted to check in, as I'm having the same issue. AgileBits version of 1Password (Version 6.85 (685004)) [why can't I copy this from the About screen??], and syncing via iCloud. I'm happy to live with the once/day re-login and will look forward to your solution.

• BoxCar
    BoxCar
    Community Member
    Options

How do I force 1P macOS to sync? This morning’s daily 1Password iCloud session re-authorization timed out and 1P hasn’t sync’d for 16 hours.

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member
    Options

@Boxcar, it does seem like 1P on the Mac forgets to continue syncing after this happens. At least it didn't sync just now when I tested it. I found that doing Lock from the 1Password menu on top left, then unlocking, causes it to sync again.

• BoxCar
    BoxCar
    Community Member
    Options

:) @mirv that triggers it. That’s concerning about not syncing though and several of my passwords now have conflicts seemingly as a result of the ongoing session expiration drama.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

@TheMacMommy -- sorry you've been bitten by this one as well. There's no sign-up sheet to be notified when this is resolved because a solution, when it comes, will be announced in the release notes with updates, as such things always are.

When it comes to moving to the Mac App Store version, I know it's very tempting for those of you who're currently experiencing this bug to think that's the answer -- and it would be, for this particular issue. But just as that's one obvious advantage of the Mac App Store version over our version currently, there are other notable advantages of using our version vs the Mac App Store version. I'm not trying to steer anyone one way or the other, and we honestly don't much have a preference which one users choose since in most respects they are indistinguishable. I'm just mentioning this because I don't think it's right to think of either version as "superior" across the board.

Beyond that, there's the inconvenient issue that we're just as "stuck" when it comes to the Mac App Store as you are: if you're a 1Password for Mac user bitten by this bug, we've not been recommending the purchase of the Mac App Store version as a solution partly because of what I just said above, but also because we don't want you having to pay twice for the same thing, just to fix this annoyance. By the same token, since Apple controls the Mac App Store, we don't have any ability to just hand out coupons for freebies there; Apple has no mechanism for that. We would have to purchase them the same way that users would, if we wanted to do that, and we don't think that's a great idea either. That's actually one of the advantages I was referring to of our version -- if something is wrong, we can and have, on case-by-case bases, given "freebies" away of our own version. I almost hesitate to say that because I don't want people reading this and thinking that if they're ever upset they can just get a free copy from us; it doesn't work that way. My point is that we CAN do that for our awesome users, if it's our version of 1Password...but we lack the same flexibility to do that with the Mac App Store version.

As frustrating as it is, I'd say sticking it out (unless you want to change to either WLAN or Dropbox temporarily or permanently) is the best solution at the moment. We are working with Apple to produce a solution that's going to solve the problem on a reliable basis, and we will certainly be letting the world know as soon as that's a reality. Keep an eye on updates, and let us know if there's anything else we can do for you. Thank as always for your support and your patience.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @mirv - and apologies from us. Hope to have a solution out ASAP. @Boxcar, the standard way to force a sync is, as @mirv says, to lock, then re-unlock 1Password (enter Master Password or Touch ID). This will force a sync, but if you're experiencing this current iCloud re-authentication issue, then it likely won't work unless you're willing to go through the steps to re-authenticate. If you just dismiss it without re-authenticating then yes, 1Password won't sync until you do.

If you're finding this annoying and are looking around for a solution that requires less of you and helps insure no conflicts from lack of sync, we're recommending switching to either Dropbox or WLAN sync for the moment (or permanently), or considering a 1password.com account. Let us know if you have any questions.

• tdphelps
    tdphelps
    Community Member
    Options

MacBook Pro running High Sierra. When I try to launch 1Password from my Safari (11.02) extension it will first ask me to login to my ICloud account. Once that is accomplished it says that it will continue to sync with the cloud and leaves a tab open with a Apple logo in the upper lefthand corner and a spinning wheel in the middle...as if it is syncing my data. But the tab stays open and never seems to finish.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:1Password always asks me now to sign in to my iCloud account to sync with iCloud

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tdphelps -- sorry for the inconvenience! I hope you don't mind; I've merged your thread with the ongoing main thread about this topic. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2018
    Options

A brief update here:

We're currently testing a fix internally. Provided there are no issues found in testing, hopefully it will be available shortly. I don't have more information to share at this time, but keep an eye out for 1Password updates. We'll share more here when we can.

In the meantime, the workaround is to sign into iCloud when asked, or switch to either Dropbox or a 1Password.com account to eliminate the iCloud re-authentication issue. Thanks for your patience.

• chrisbrandhorst
    chrisbrandhorst
    Community Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

@brenty : that's good to hear! Thanks for the effort.

Interestingly enough, yesterday (because of some other issue) I removed all cookies with "apple" and "icloud" in the name. After that, I signed into iCloud (because of that other issue). Then some time thereafter, 1Password presented The Popup asking for the re-authentication. So I did.

Today, I opened up 1Password mini and it did not ask for re-authentication (which is different from all other mornings since I have my new MacBook). Also, the preferences say the last sync is a few seconds ago. I'll keep an eye out for what happens today!

This discussion has been closed.