Version 8 in the Apple App Store?

Options

Comments

• Yilk81
    Yilk81
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Please put Appstore availability of 1password 8 on the list of things to do.
    A big reason on why this should get some priority is that there are many many companies out there that run on macs and are customers of 1password. More often than not IT teams distribute mac apps via some MDM service that rely on Apples VPP in Apple Business Manager.
    Without it being in the app store it is impossible to keep the app up to date as it would mean a lot of manual work for either IT and/or the end user.

One can also argue that not having it available in the Appstore goes against the whole point of 1password. Which in the end is better security, which is what the Appstore directly and indirectly provides.

• BemusedBefuddled
    BemusedBefuddled
    Community Member
    Options

Being a long term 1password user since 2008 I was looking to understand why v8 wasn't pushed to my client via the App Store when I found this thread. I have to say it makes for depressing reading. Anyone who has spent more than 30 seconds around software product management knows if the line isn't even "It's on the roadmap" (for some never specified future date) then it's not going to get done short of the kind of major reversal that usually costs the PM his or her job.

It's also a decision that is baffling. If you want to make a cloud subscription service work, why introduce barriers to adoption? Push button installation across all machines under differing MDM regimes and administrations via the App Store is a pretty much as easy as it gets. Certainly a much better prospect than trying to pull installers down on every machine you want the account. I remember those days with the early versions of 1password and I'm aghast that the plan is to return to them.

If the issue is what Apple is taking as a cut, then raise the app store price accordingly, be honest and transparent and let the market forces drive people to your website. After the 1password7 drive to get us to the App store anything apart from transparency feels a little like bait and switch.

Either way, a clearer statement on exactly what the position is would go a long way to dispelling some of these feelings. It's a testament to how well 1password has served me that I never needed to create a community account in 14 years. It's also a testament to this situation that I have to create one now.

• tophernad
    tophernad
    Community Member
    Options

Please consider putting 1Password 8 on the Mac App Store. We distribute 1Password via VPP to all of our clients. This is very impactful to our deployment. We could package the installer from the website but that takes additional work.

• nicolinden
    nicolinden
    Community Member
    Options

First time I heard 1password 8 was out I just kept refreshing the App Store for an update, today I googled for it and thought that the download had to be a beta... until I found out that you made an unbelievable choice...

In my opinion this is a terrible decision... a company who says to be proud to build Mac apps but not delivering their apps through the App Store sounds like you don't care at all but just want to make money. IF you would say, we can't deliver through the App Store because Apple would block feature XYZ then at least I can understand why it is done.

Without a reason why the app is not in the Appstore I won't update to version 8 and if this situation remains without an reason from your side I really will consider leaving the 1password community which I never expected to say not too long ago...

• TooSlimSam
    TooSlimSam
    Community Member
    Options

I came here with the same question. I would also much prefer to install from the App Store, and ask family members to do the same. If there's a good reason why this is no longer an option, I'd like to understand what it is.

• whodakat
    whodakat
    Community Member
    Options

Like so many before me, I have been trying to figure out where the V8 update is for my MAS version. Now I see why it hasn't upgraded. I have been using 1Password since the first version and I have an annual family subscription. 90% of my apps are from the MAS, and the other 10% are not serious apps. But you have the passwords to my bank accounts. My SS number. Credit card numbers. Everything. There are too many clever people in this world to think your website can't get hacked. To secure this kind of information, I need the highest level of security. Beyond security though, I use the MAS for most apps because it is convenient! I have all my apps in one place, and when I do a clean install its all right there. My family will not upgrade to 1P8 until it is on the MAS and if we don't have some kind of road map for when its coming in the next month or two, I will cancel my sub and make it work with just Apple's PW manager.

• Jguy432
    Jguy432
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben I think the greatest reason to support the App Store is that many companies allow users to download applications through the App Store, but restrict end users ability to install applications from standalone installers. So, I can install 1Password 8 on my home Mac, but I can't install it on my work laptop. If it is in the App Store, I am free and clear.

• rodfleischer
    rodfleischer
    Community Member
    Options

I gotta say guys, I'm really disappointed in the waffling answers from the 1p devs.

This is a security product, the MOST important security product on my computers probably, and to not put it in the MAS when clearly you have a lot of user interest in that feature precisely because it's a security product is absolutely NOT putting your customers needs first.

No one in this thread is interested in your website / website version, or we wouldn't be asking for a MAS version, so touting how that's your focus is just ignoring your users.

If there's a technical reason that such capability is delayed, then be up front and tell us.
    (It's because it's electron, isn't it?)

• MisterMooth
    MisterMooth
    Community Member
    Options

First the move from a native app to Electron, and now this. Time to look elsewhere I think.

• Talarion
    Talarion
    Community Member
    Options

I would also like to see 1Password 8 in Mac App Store. √√√

• jive
    jive
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, new to this thread, but after reading it, it's obvious that they are aware of the desire / need for a mac app store version of 1password 8. It's also obvious that they know that their lack of transparency on the issue is pissing people off and making them look bad. But for whatever reason, they are doing that. So I guess if you want to enjoy the features of 1password 8, then just download it here. If not, then don't.

I came here because I saw that 1password 8 was a thing on one of my mac app store updates and thought: "what? I don't think 1password 8 even exists yet...." I do all of my updating on the mac app store. Any knowledge of new updates or versions, I usually rely on the app store.

So I hope you realize that many folks using 1password 7 are doing that because they don't even realize 8 exists.

That being said, what I'm seeing is here is the lack of transparency is what is most concerning here. Not that we have to download it. But the vague, opaque, non answers are starting to cause distrust.

1password please consider the message you are sending.

• Mando
    Mando
    Community Member
    Options

Love to see 1Password 8 in the AppStore soon please ! It is just super convenient and I feel save. I get automatic updates and know it come from a trusted source. Also switching the device is super easy with the AppStore. Just login to my new device and all get installed automatically with a click. (I don't "migrate" form one computer to the next, but start fresh, as a developer machine sometimes get messy over time). Having an app in the store, is also one decision criteria for me to buy an app/service or not)

• HashTucE
    HashTucE
    Community Member
    Options

Waiting for Version 8 on Appstore too !!! Please give us hope 🙏🏻

• mh4ll
    mh4ll
    Community Member
    Options

Really surprising that the 1Password team has doubled down on their non-answers in this thread. There's been plenty of time for them to figure out their messaging and provide us a proper explanation of their decision. I guess it's time to vote with my feet and let my subscription expire in July. Such a disappointment.

• seatek
    seatek
    Community Member
    Options

I will only install programs through the App Store since I better trust the scrutiny and restrictions Apple requires. I do like 1Password very much and was planning on subscribing even as I'm leaving the bundled service through Eero's enhanced security subscription. But as Bitwarden is in the App Store and continually updated, that choice will become more prominent as 1Password only allows access to old versions of their software there.

• MMT
    MMT
    Community Member
    Options

My organization uses a Mobile Device Manager to automatically install software for new or re-deployments of hardware. The Mac App Store streamlines the process.

• punintended
    punintended
    Community Member
    Options

As silly as this may seem from a security perspective - if it's not in the App Store, my employer will not allow me to install this. They will insist that I use the more clunky competitor, LastPass. If I'm forced to move, I will move my family as well. The point of having a password manager is a vault to store everything and have it be seamless across platforms.

Aside from that, I was pretty upset with the move to the subscription model with 1Password 7. Looking at some of the usability issues with 1Password 8 that are being posted in other parts of the forum is causing me to reconsider some of the competitors also.

It is unfortunate to see some of these changes - I have been a customer since at least 1Password 4 (as far as my records go) and have enjoyed the usability and seamless integration of the product. When it came to the App Store that was an improvement. To see it leave the App Store would undo that gain.

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    Options

well, forbidding installing of apps outside of the App Store is not silly at all: This article 1Password support sent me as a reference to make me believe it's safe to download and maintain 1Password from their site, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491 doesn't mention any validation on apps that "auto update", which is what I've been told here by 1password employees the app does. So, assuming the 1password downloadable app IS signed and notarized, you're probably safe to run it... until it starts autoupdating incrementally. I haven't downloaded it, as I don't want to put my main desktop on an unnecessary risk, so I can't tell whether their autoupdate mechanism downloads and re-install the whole application "now". Also even if that's the case, I don't know what's going to be their approach to autoupdates in the future... They already got out of the App Store, so anything can happen now.

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    Options

But as Bitwarden is in the App Store and continually updated, that choice will become more prominent as 1Password only allows access to old versions of their software there.

Thanks for the hint! looking at it right now!

• David Clonts
    David Clonts
    Community Member
    Options

So the reason I need it on the app store is that is where all my family updates from. Now they still have 7 and cannot see any embedded images/docs/items I've added--including insurance, etc.

...Inclined to go check out Bitwarden...

• Talarion
    Talarion
    Community Member
    Options

I would like you to make 1PW 8 available via the AppStore.
    Your decision is absolutely incomprehensible.
    On the other hand, I would also cancel my subscription and look for an alternative in the AppStore.

• seanm1
    seanm1
    Community Member
    Options

This has got to be the weirdest thread I've read in a while. I've been an early adopter of 1Password, going back to the first days of the iPhone App Store. Strange thing is that I didn't even know there was an iPassword 8 until I came across it in a Reddit thread today. I checked the Mac App Store and saw I was still on 7. Strange! So I googled and found the new version only d/l from the 1Password website. Then I found this thread. I'm surprised and honestly shocked by the decisions from the 1Password team. There are a lot of good points in this thread and not one single reason given my the 1Password team or their founder why the app is not in the Mac App Store. Is it because Apple didn't acquire them a couple years back? Did something else happen? The responses from Dave and others is very bizarre. Are they being held at gunpoint when they write their responses? Something doesn't add up. It's a head scratcher to me.

Unfortunately for 1Password this may be the final straw for me. I paid for the app on iOS, then on iPad, and again on Mac. I liked that it only synced via iCloud, which to me it was safer. Then the subscription model came out and I signed up, initially for personal and then for family. I didn't think that made things safer, but the dual authentication felt safe enough for me, at least compares to other platforms last LastPass, Dashlane, etc.

I support good companies with my wallet. We probably won't know why they're doing this. Is it a VC investor? Were they secretly bought by some foreign owned company? Are they just dumb? Unfortunately for me I can't trust them anymore with my data. Too many burned bridges over the years, and this thread has put me over. Each response in this thread from 1Password is dodging questions and just not being truthful to us. I feel like we're being told to ignore the all the good reasons why a company shouldn't do what they're doing. It's deceitful, not honest, and ultimately terrible service.

It's a shame but I guess everything fades away in the end. I'll be canceling my renewal today.

• Daniel86
    Daniel86
    Community Member
    Options

I really don't like the fact that you don't offer the download of V8 on the App Store!

• MMT
    MMT
    Community Member
    Options

My organization uses a Mobile Device Manager to automatically install software for new or re-deployments of hardware. The Mac App Store streamlines the process using VPP.

• smj1pwc
    smj1pwc
    Community Member
    Options

Given that 1Password 8 is now an Electron web-app and no longer a native app - it is more important than ever to install 1Password from the official Apple App Store.

Apps published on the App Store are signed and must be run in a security sandbox - although it's not as secure as a native sandboxed application - it's a lot better than downloading an application and running it from a website.

Publishing Electron apps to the app store is well documented and simple, the only reason I can think why 1Password and avoiding doing it is because they're doing things that can't be securely sandboxed.

https://www.electronjs.org/docs/latest/tutorial/mac-app-store-submission-guide

https://www.electronjs.org/docs/latest/tutorial/sandbox/#a-note-on-rendering-untrusted-content

• hardtofin
    hardtofin
    Community Member
    Options

Also have a major problem with 1password 8 and suspected something was awry when i was prompted to download it from inside the app today and then googled to see it had been released nearly 3 months ago.

The fact that the devs themselves have said they are completely new to electron

gives me zero confidence in using an electron based app to manage and store the single most important information on my computer.

Further to that, the fact that they simply refuse to give any clear reason why this choice was made makes it even more concerning. As there are native electron apps on the MAS, I can only assume that apple wont approve it for security reasons.

I have myself and currently 6 family members ALL on 1password, but unless this changes, our subscription will expire and we will use a different solution.

1password team, read the room, your customers are REALLY unhappy with this decision. Your take up of 1pw8 will be terrible and most people will stay on 1pw7 until it becomes legacy and then leave.

• hardtofin
    hardtofin
    Community Member
    Options

To further add to my above comment. Spoke to a friend of mine last night who is a rust developer on the solana blockchain. He was totally amazed at the decision to use electron and simply said that browser environments are notoriously insecure. He will be moving off 1PW as he is also currently a 1pw customer.

• B3B3
    B3B3
    Community Member
    Options

This doesn't make me happy at all. What are you trying to avoid? Reviews? Security and compliance checks? This is a bizarre decision, especially when I initially chose the App because it had strong Apple/Mac support. If that's changing, it's time for a change.

• xmarcelo
    xmarcelo
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

OK, it all starts to make sense now! I downloaded 1Password 8 for iOS this morning and I have to tell

• no way to share logins via airdrop which we were used to do w/ my group. The new "link" experience is ludicrous.
    • the UI is awful. Maybe what Android users are used to, completely out of sync with Apple's UI Guidelines: it's slow, looks like it's about to crash every 2s, and visually it's just big icons w/ no signs of a working visual language
    • it doesn't support my iCloud-based vault. It's true I've already moved almost everything to 1Password's "native" vaults but the rest of my group still has iCloud based vaults and it's mess trying to move to the new ones.

So my conclusion is they've just decided to leave the Apple ecosystem, just they didn't want to give us a warning when it was best for us: Awful experience with the iOS version of 1Password8, no 1Password8 in the Mac app store, no real answers here... so it must be that. I can't see any other "good" reason for this circus.

• smj1pwc
    smj1pwc
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

I had a similar experience after trying the iOS version of 1Password 8 @xmarcelo, it doesn't feel as native anymore.

This discussion has been closed.