Community Member
    Options

+1 for Orion

• SirShanksalot
    SirShanksalot
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

Shouting out another +1 for Orion. There's hardly a thing I can add that hasn't been said multiple times over. I feel like an echo chamber here but I'm also a family plan user for years, 1Password since 2009!, and converted my entire marketing agency over to using 1Password 2 years ago.

As a web developer I know intimately the pain of supporting multiple browsers/devices and can only imagine the depths of scrutiny required when you have such high security stakes at play – this is why I have entrusted Agile Bits to this task for going on 14 years.

This issue is now a year on, and I appreciate there's finally a plan in place to avoid this 'popcorn-style' approval process for new browsers, but this point has me seriously questioning my faith, loyalty and patience:

The unexplained discrepancy between support for Arc which I'm on private beta and lack thereof for Orion which I so badly want to adopt for personal usage – for the very same reasons I choose 1Password!
    1. serious attention to privacy and security
    2. an elegance in design (just putting aside any and all grievances with 1P8).

Please give the loyal customer base here an official and plausible explanation. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• sannidhyz
    sannidhyz
    Community Member
    Options

Extremely disappointing how AgileBits doesn't even care about their users anymore. They removed their one-time subscription and yet some users still didn't give up if that meant that they'd provide a better service than before, but it's the complete opposite. It's still beyond understanding how they white-listed Arc within 15 days after it's release, even when it's not even available to the public and is behind a long waitlist. And they couldn't white-list Orion, claiming it as a niche browser when it's been more than 1 year the community has been asking them for it.

• kemmko
    kemmko
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

+1. 1Password takes role of bad gatekeeper here that turns into bottleneck for all newcoming browsers and slow down their attempts to beat monopoly of chromium-based ones. You need to either automate audit process and process all queue of newcoming apple/microsoft signed browsers or completely revoke browser sign checking in 1Password if you are unable to act quickly here.

For years, I've seen various developers, especially indies, complain about Apple because of their slow and unclear app review process. Now 1Password has become an Apple itself.

• Sankcool
    Sankcool
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

It seems like 1P’s team has given up on even trying to appear like they care, despite this being one of the most active threads in the community with daily comments now. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ Time to switch.

• Noffica
    Noffica
    Community Member
    Options

One more +1 for support for Orion.

11 pages worth of requests; I would have thought this would have been done long ago.

• altano
    altano
    Community Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

Another +1 from me here

I greatly appreciate trying to keep 1Password very secure but this hardly seems like a good trade-off to me. If this were 2002 Firefox would be dead in the water because of gatekeeping like this.

Thanks for making a great product and I hope you reconsider.

• cmer
    cmer
    Community Member
    Options

I started this thread 18 months ago, and despite 11 pages of user requests, there's been no progress or no communication on this. This is truly disappointing.

I started using 1Password in 2005 (pre version 1.0), and for the first time, I'm starting to look at alternatives. What's going on over there!?

• jberglinds
    jberglinds
    Community Member
    Options

+1, what's going on here?

• hollabit
    hollabit
    Community Member
    Options

If the 1P team ever actually delivers on this we’re gonna need a blog post to explain what took so long and why approving a new browser won’t be a problem going forward.

Even if it makes you look bad, it means a lot when you own up to your shortcomings.

• iCraftCode
    iCraftCode
    Community Member
    Options

+1 from me too. I've been also waiting for the masked email support besides fastmail. Maybe It's time to switch my password manager after being a paying customer for years now.

• matt.g1P
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hi! I’m matt_g. I do product stuff :)

It has been our intention all along that the choice of which browser to use should be in the hands of our users. That being said, we wanted to make sure that we had a safe and secure solution in place to facilitate that choice. We are ALWAYS listening to our users and especially here on the forums, but I didn’t want to share anything until timelines were more concrete. In roughly ~1.5 months you should be able to add almost any 3rd party browser that supports the native messaging host web standard as a trusted browser. That means not just Chromium based browsers, in case that wasn’t clear. You should hear more about this soon!

• FredericC
    FredericC
    Community Member
    Options

@matt.g1P I'm pleased to read that information, thank you.
    I'm pretty sure that most of other participants to this thread would have loved to hear about this ETA before. I really hope 1Password will communicate more in the future about future features that are waited / needed by their customers. I know it is risky to announce stuffs before they are released as they can be delayed, but staying in the dark is worse for us.

• Harri
    Harri
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Orion support from me too. Registered on this forum just for this :-)

I was already about to buy a new Mac just to make Safari usable again, but after switching to Orion, it's like I have a new computer… More people need to know about Orion.

Also been using 1Password forever, probably ever since 1.0 or at least close :-)

That's all – cheers! :-)

• agnt007
    agnt007
    Community Member
    Options

Please add Orion Support.
    I've been a paying customer for years & use it everywhere and would like 1password team to support my decision to use Orion. Otherwise, I would have to consider something else and I don't want to do that.
    I made an account just for this & am retyping this comment.
    Thank you in advance for providing this solution to your customers.

• agnt007
    agnt007
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles please also add my vote

• CharlieCortial
    CharlieCortial
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! I’m matt_g. I do product stuff :)

It has been our intention all along that the choice of which browser to use should be in the hands of our users. That being said, we wanted to make sure that we had a safe and secure solution in place to facilitate that choice. We are ALWAYS listening to our users and especially here on the forums, but I didn’t want to share anything until timelines were more concrete. In roughly ~1.5 months you should be able to add almost any 3rd party browser that supports the native messaging host web standard as a trusted browser. That means not just Chromium based browsers, in case that wasn’t clear. You should hear more about this soon!

Hi @matt.g1P , thank you for answering. It’s good to finally get a date for a feature we have been requesting for around a year now.
    We still need (and deserve) more from the 1Password team. You say you are listening, but one thing this thread shows is that you are not answering your customers’ requests, even in the face of 10+ pages of asking, and a year of waiting.
    We still don’t need (and deserve) to know why a browser like Arc got a special treatment, and another like Orion had to wait for this universal solution. All we got until now was stalling, and vague answers without real explanation.
    Like @hollabit said above, you should give us something like a blog post, explain to us what happened.
    You can say that you are ALWAYS listening to your users all you want, but the only thing that matters is what you do.

• Harri
    Harri
    Community Member
    Options

@matt.g1P Thanks for the info – missed it previously, but this is excellent news! 🙏

• uvedenrode
    uvedenrode
    Community Member
    Options

Hello! I want to connect to Google Meet on the browser but my mic and video doesn't work. Does anyone know where these settings are?

• macphreak
    macphreak
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for the Orion browser. Can't wait for the 1password update that enables it! Thanks! :)

• WaitingForGuacamole
    WaitingForGuacamole
    Community Member
    Options

@matt.g1P would it be possible to drop a note in this topic when the feature goes beta?

• sintezcs
    sintezcs
    Community Member
    Options

Eagerly waiting for Orion browser support! Please implement it! Thank you

• FredericC
    FredericC
    Community Member
    Options

1Password is so bad on Orion without extension. Quickfill doesn't work on some websites, it makes the 1password experience so bad and not reliable :(
    Can't wait for a solution…

• HosHousePeppers
    HosHousePeppers
    Community Member
    Options

Count me as another long LONG time 1P user who's counting the days until 1P support in Orion

I love Orion so much.
    So smooth, fast, clean ... just need my 1P in there!

• zls
    zls
    Community Member
    Options

+1 i've never asked for anything from you before, please implement this

• Authenticinor
    Authenticinor
    Community Member
    Options

+1 Orion