hollabit
    Community Member
    Options

It’s almost April! 🎉🎉🎉

• adamlogan
    adamlogan
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for this. Would be so nice to have this working properly on Orion.

• Hey folks. Just wanted to give you an update on this. The first thing we have to do to make this work is land the Secure Settings project. We're still working through a few issues with that. Once that's complete 3rd Party Browser support will be loaded and ready to land as well. I'll update this thread once it's in Nightly. I'll also have a clearer timeline on the Secure Settings work in the next couple of days that I can share with you. Thanks!

• FredericC
    FredericC
    Community Member
    Options

@matt.g1P 🥇🥇🥇 I'm so happy to hear that !

• Harri
    Harri
    Community Member
    Options

@matt.g1P Great news, thanks for the update!

• kelchm
    kelchm
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome news!

• richmilns
    richmilns
    Community Member
    Options

So happy to hear support for Orion could be landing soon, thanks for the update. I'll +1 for Orion support anyway for good measure 😀

• duffpop
    duffpop
    Community Member
    Options

My body is ready.

Or is it? I'll find out when @matt.g1P hits me with the good news ❤️

• It's great to see your excitement for Orion Support, thank you for your patience! 🙂

• janpeeters
    janpeeters
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @matt.g1P For the update. Happy to hear that more news is coming about the estimated arrival of 3rd party browser support.

@CostcoFanboy That's a question many have asked and sadly no one from 1P has been transparant about why.

• argasek
    argasek
    Community Member
    Options

I recently have started using Orion as my daily driver and I can't wait to see a proper 1Password support for it!

• janpeeters
    janpeeters
    Community Member
    Options

@CostcoFanboy I don't know the specific Discord messages and dev you're referring too. But if you're talking about Vladimir Prelovac then I can imagine that it's annoyance. Annoyance about the fact that it takes so long and that there is no transparency as to the why other browser like Arc got supported quickly.

I introduced Vlad to Steve Won, the (recently new) CPO of 1P (after I wrote to Dave Tear about the situation, Steve contacted me back and I had a videocall with him) to have a talk about the current situation. They were in contact but don't know the details if it was live or only via email. I've seen no signs of something personal to be honest so let's not assume.

@matt.g1P Maybe you or someone else from 1P can shed a light on why Arc got support so fast, so that this question can be put to rest. You've read this thread and are aware that many people would like to know.

Anyway. I'm happy that support for all party browsers is coming.

• Sankcool
    Sankcool
    Community Member
    Options

@janpeeters don’t forget about SigmaOS, which also got support early on with a small user base and runs on WebKit, just like Orion—which also dispels any explanation about the technical stack being the issue here.

super disappointed in the lack of transparency here. the obvious answer is that these browsers are VC-backed, where Orion is user-backed…

hopefully we’ll also get a clearer timeline soon. it feels like we’re just getting hit with “more info soon” again and again.

• janpeeters
    janpeeters
    Community Member
    Options

@sankool, yes indeed that's interesting that WebKit based SigmaOS was supported early.
    @matt.g1P can you shine a light on this? Was there external funding involved from these browsers to get 1P working? Would be great if the info gap about this could be filled. Thanks.

• jjthejet
    jjthejet
    Community Member
    Options

@CostcoFanboy Thanks for the heads up about BitWarden, I will likely follow you and move away from 1Password if this isn't resolved by the time my subscription is up.

• CPK0627
    CPK0627
    Community Member
    edited April 2023
    Options

Quite ridiculous that we still have yet to actually see ANYTHING come from this. It has been two years at this point and all we have continually gotten are the generic copy & paste like 'We promise we are looking into this and will do something about it soon!'. At this point, I am very seriously considering moving away from 1Password once my subscription ends and move to another provider that actually listens to their paying customers.

• erikmh
    erikmh
    Community Member
    Options

I plus-one'd on this thread back on page one or two, and then in early February of this year I wrote the following. If AgileBits doesn't make good on this by the end of the month, I'm afraid I'm out of here...

This is, I’m afraid, the last straw. I’ve stuck with 1Password even as it gets harder and harder to use (and to support — I’m the “IT guy” for a good dozen clients who are more and more confounded by 1Password with each passing release). I even stuck with you when you went Electron, though the gods know how much worse the interface is now.

But as this thread shows, AgileBits no longer cares about their security-conscious Mac users.

Regretfully, unless there’s a sudden and dramatic shift on AgileBits’s part by the time my renewal is due in May, I’ll be leaving. And I’ll be recommending a different solution to my clients and family.

It’s a shame, too. This used to be such a good company and such a good product.

• cdransf
    cdransf
    Community Member
    Options

I registered to chime in with a vote for Orion support — it's disappointing to see a heavily upvoted issue get dismissed so casually by staff, especially when Arc was thrown such early support. I hope we se this change soon, but adding a vote for something internally doesn't mean much when nothing happens.

• janpeeters
    janpeeters
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @matt.g1P, you wrote:

I'll also have a clearer timeline on the Secure Settings work in the next couple of days that I can share with you.

I know that promisses can be challenged by reality but can you tell us more? Thanks.

• Just checked in with the team working on secure settings. It's a small group and they've still got a few issues to close before we can enable 3rd Party Browser support for everyone. It's definitely still happening though!

• Dave_1P
    edited April 2023
    Options

We don't have plans to add other browsers on an individual basis and we're focused on developing our secure settings feature so that folks are able to use any browser they wish to use with 1Password in the future. There are many different browsers (such as Orion, Waterfox, and others) that users have requested support for and secure settings will allow everyone the use of their favourite browser with 1Password. 🙂

-Dave

• Sankcool
    Sankcool
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P others have requested but only one browser's cross-community with 1P has a thread with 12 pages over the course of 18 months :/

nobody's disputing that secure settings will be a more permanent resolution, it's just frustrating when other tiny (but VC-backed) browsers received whitelisting during the period that this thread has been active with zero real reasoning from the 1P team as to why that decisioning was made.