Support for Orion Browser

Options

Comments

• 1Matt
    1Matt
    Community Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

Excellent news @vprelovac! Today is my first day using Orion browser and I'm frustrated that 1P doesn't work well in it despite Orion's ability to use both Chrome & Firefox extensions. Thx to Orion & 1P teams for sorting this out.

• B0rg
    B0rg
    Community Member
    Options

What is the status at the moment, is there a release date soon?

• Hey @B0rg,

Whilst I can't give a timeframe, here is the latest on extending our browser support: Extending support for trusted web browsers — 1Password Community.

Let us know if you have any questions!

• glbzz
    glbzz
    Community Member
    Options

+1 to Duncan. 1Password keeps nagging me to reactivate my subscription. I will do so immediately once the support for Orion is there.

• jmanes
    jmanes
    Community Member
    Options

Hey all. I have noticed today that some form of 1Password support landed on Orion RC. I was able to install the extension from the Chrome web store, and have it autofill.

However, it does not yet sync up with the desktop app for me, so I assume some switch needs to be flipped by 1Password server side or through a software update. Maybe there is a 1Password for Orion native extension in the works?

Thanks to the 1P team for keeping up with this issue as of late.

• Harri
    Harri
    Community Member
    Options

I think the Orion RC release notes said that you need the latest Mac 1Password where you can whitelist the browser, but I haven't tried it myself yet.

• B0rg
    B0rg
    Community Member
    Options

haha paying for a browser to get 1password support, Orion is now uninstalled from my system.

• kemmko
    kemmko
    Community Member
    Options

@B0rg Orion RC is equivalent to 1Password nightly builds. You don't need a subscription to get 1Password support in Orion, but you should subscribe if you want to get this feature before it goes into the stable channel.

It is strange that we are discussing about this in 1Password forum and not in Orion one.

• jmanes
    jmanes
    Community Member
    Options

I pulled in the latest Beta of 1Password but do not see any options for specific browsers yet. I assume someone will get back with us after the holiday. :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @jmanes !

Did you switch to the beta or the nightly release?

When will the trusted browser setting be available?
    We will be introducing the new setting shortly in the nightly channel of the 1Password desktop app.

Source: https://1password.community/discussion/140735/extending-support-for-trusted-web-browsers

• jmanes
    jmanes
    Community Member
    Options

@DenalB Indeed I have. I installed the latest nightly and the new trusted browsers section is not showing in the 1Password settings > Browser section.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Good to know, @jmanes . I'm using beta releases, only. Just wanted to point to the nightly release. 😉

• jmanes
    jmanes
    Community Member
    Options

I swapped back to the beta channel today. Since I know support is on the way I can rest easy and be patient for it to hit the beta channel.

• tiltowaitt
    tiltowaitt
    Community Member
    Options

So if I'm reading correctly, 1PW8 will be required to use 1Password in Orion?

• Mitch
    edited July 2023
    Options

We've made a lot of progress last month. :) Some updates from both ends:

1. Orion RC now supports the 1Password extension: https://browser.kagi.com/updates/orion-release-notes.html. This means you can install the extension from the Chrome Web Store and use it in Orion, although it won't connect to the desktop app out of the box.
    2. 1Password nightly (build 81009030) for Mac has the new "Trusted Browsers" setting which lets you allow Orion or another browser to connect to the desktop app. You can change the release channel for the desktop app in Settings > Advanced > Release Channel.

For those of you who jump on the nightly builds, I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with adding your own trusted browsers. We'll also share another update more publicly when this feature moves to the production release.

• scottharris1014
    scottharris1014
    Community Member
    Options

1Password still isn't working as expected with Orion RC (Version 0.99.124.4.4-rc). I now have the nightly build (1Password for Mac 8.10.9 (81009030) that lets me add Orion RC as a trusted browser, which I've done. And I've tried both the latest nightly build 1Password extension (Chrome) and the normal 1Password extension (Chrome) with the same results.

When I use CMD-\, I get the "search 1Password box" but it doesn't recognize the website I'm on. When I type in the box and hit ENTER, I get a message that 1Password can't verify that Orion RC should have access to my "[name of website]" item. Do you want to fill it anyway message? Choosing Fill Once works, but that did so before I made Orion RC a trusted browser.

The extension does show the drop down in most user name / password entry fields (though not the one to log into this forum!). But it is hit or miss whether both the user name and password fields fills (e.g., on washingtonpost.com, user name fills, but password doesn't).

• reacuna
    reacuna
    Community Member
    Options

@Mitch I just updated to 1Password for Mac 8.10.9 (81009030) and it works great with Orion RC Version 0.99.124.4.5-rc (WebKit 616.1.14.11.1) -- thanks for all the hard work!

• jmanes
    jmanes
    Community Member
    Options

I took the latest Orion RC and 1Password Nightly this morning. Good news, it works like a charm! Thanks to everyone involved in shipping this feature and listening to feedback!

• Ben
    Options

@scottharris1014

If you right click on the 1Password extension icon in Orion's toolbar and open settings... do you have the Integrate with 1Password app setting enabled? And if so, does it say "Connected 🟢" under it?

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@reacuna @jmanes Awesome! Glad to hear it. 🎉

Ben

• scottharris1014
    scottharris1014
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

@Ben Yes. I do have that turned on and have the same "Connected" with the green circle/ball as shown in your image.

BUT ... i hadn't yet updated to 0.99.124.4.5-rc ... doing that now.

Nope ... no change in behavior (both CMD-\ and the regular browser drop down that shows up in username / password fields and working [or not working] as described in my post above).

• Sankcool
    Sankcool
    Community Member
    Options

working for me on Orion RC and the new 1P nightly! took far, far longer than is reasonable but glad it’s here at last

I also tried to get it working with Thorium out of curiosity (which is a very minimally-modified build of open-source Chromium) but am unable to add it to the trusted browsers list—when I select the app, no consent modal appears and nothing gets added. I don’t use Thorium actively anymore so not a huge deal for me but figured I’d report this anyways since the 1P has mentioned that the trusted browsers feature is intended to work with other Chromium browsers out of the box

• jmanes
    jmanes
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm some of @scottharris1014 behavior. Namely the shortcut key to open the auto fill box not detecting the page I am on. Also some hit-or-miss behavior depending on the page.

Unsure if this is an Orion or 1P issue.

• Mitch
    edited July 2023
    Options

Thanks for trying it out and sharing your feedback, everyone!

@scottharris1014: Thank you for the bug reports. Support for trusted browsers has focused on compatibility with the browser extension, so it doesn't yet extend to the autofill capabilities that originate from the desktop app (Quick Access/Command-\). We're looking into what we can do here.

As for issues with the extension autofill: does it work as expected in other browsers with the same sites and logins?

@tiltowaitt: you can use the 1Password browser extension in Orion by itself without connecting to the Mac app, but linking the two will require 1Password 8.

• tiltowaitt
    tiltowaitt
    Community Member
    Options

@Mitch I'm not sure what the difference is in terms of practical use?

• scottharris1014
    scottharris1014
    Community Member
    Options

@Mitch

Thanks for the info (I'd thought from the name "Trusted Browser" and the fact that CMD-\ works just fine with regular Orion that adding Orion RC as a trusted browser would put it on par with regular Orion and get rid of the "can't verify" popup).

I did check using the extension on Chrome with the Washington Post website and with another one (PacerPro) that didn't work right with Orion RC -- both work as expected with the extension in Chrome: I choose my login from the drop down, it fills in the user name then autofills the password field without further input from me.

• Sankcool
    Sankcool
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Want to flag a fresh issue I'm having on my second Mac that might be related to some of the issues others are experiencing in this thread. For some reason 1P is refusing to switch to the nightly channel on this Mac.

I previously was on the Beta channel. After switching to Nightly, it still just shows "You're up to date!" and "on BETA channel" in the About page.

I've tried:

• Uninstalling and reinstalling 1P
    • Using the "Reset 1Password" button on the Advanced page
    • Uninstalling 1P, deleting the Group Containers folder (per these instructions), and reinstalling
    • Uninstalling 1P through CleanMyMac to delete all related files/folders completely and reinstalling

After fully resetting the 1P app, even if I install the Production 1P version and select Nightly, it forces me into the Beta channel despite a complete wipe of 1P and never having selected Beta.

It seems like there could be some server-side flag that's forcing my device to be stuck on the beta channel instead of nightly? Happy to share diagnostics files if helpful.

• ag_Christian
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hey there @Sankcool, thanks for trying things out,

Regarding your attempted use of Thorium, my suspicion after reading your message was that it doesn't have a code signature. I checked it out myself locally and confirmed this: The developer is only distributing the build with an ad-hoc code signature, and not a "proper" development certificate/key issued by Apple. You can see this either running codesign -dvvv on the app bundle locally, or using WhatsYourSign:

A screenshot of a macOS popup from WhatsYourSign showing that the Thorium browser is not validly signed because it has no signing authorities

Per @Mitch's earlier post about the feature, only browsers signed by a valid Apple development certificate are supported for the time being, sorry. We're trying to gauge if this is something that could be improved upon, but I don't have much else to share at this time.

We will definitely work on improving the error feedback there though to make things more clear.

Regarding your updater troubles, these should be resolved as of tomorrow morning (if not a bit sooner). We are tracking an issue where the release of a beta with a newer version prevents nighties from being seen. Sorry for the trouble here.

Thanks for giving the feature a try, and we appreciate the feedback.

• Sankcool
    Sankcool
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for looking into things @ag_Christian, that all makes sense and will try updating on the nightly channel again. I'd personally vote for the code-sign requirement to be loosened (maybe showing a danger alert when an app is self-signed but still allowing the user to override?) given that many open-source Chromium builds aren't codesigned with Apple developer program certs—but totally understand if that's a bit too far for 1P's comfort with regards to security given the scope of access being granted here. Will note that the 1P extension otherwise works as expected so it's not a huge loss either way, just need to login to each vault manually and type in the master password more frequently.