Support for Orion Browser

Options

Comments

• wmarco
    wmarco
    Community Member
    Options

Great to see support for Orion in 1PW. I tried it and it worked (although sometimes the addon still blanks out and refuses to load).

However, Passkeys seem to be completely non functional. When signing in to a website with a saved passkey inside 1PW, Orion just shows the „insert USB passkey device“ prompt and ignores the saved one inside 1PW. This works fine in chrome.

Is this something that’s actively being worked on?

• vividluck5412
    vividluck5412
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using a brand new, completely clean install of Orion RC and was able to connect 1Password successfully with the extension.

The dropdown on the input field with my logins is pretty hit or miss whether it will show up. It's honesty about 50/50 (It doesn't work on this site, for example). When it does, it responds to hover events, but clicking on a login won't auto-fill. Looking at the console for the extension, I do see a console error (this is the console specifically for the extension and not for the site I'm auto-filling):

I can open the mini-window from the extension but clicking "Autofill" provides a console error as well:

Maybe about a third of the time, the mini-window won't load when I click the extension button. I usually have to restart the browser to get it working again.

• Sebetter
    Sebetter
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Just wanted to express my interest in 1password adding support for Orion. I've been trying out Orion today, and it's been wonderful so far.

• vividluck5412
    vividluck5412
    Community Member
    Options

To add to my previous comment (https://1password.community/discussion/comment/691541/#Comment_691541), I was unable to get 1Password working on an Intel based MacBook Pro.

I tried it on a brand new install of Orion RC with the most recent 1Password nightly on an M1 based Mac and it works as expected on the handful of sites I've tried.

• csuki
    csuki
    Community Member
    Options

@Mitch A little disappointing to hear Command+\ isn't included in this for the time being. Any timeline? It's basically the only way I invoke 1Password and since switching to Orion RC (it worked in regular Orion) it's been broken.

• Mitch
    Options

@csuki: Command-\ will continue to work in the non-RC build of Orion so this should not be a problem when the feature makes it to stable release.

We're also looking into a more general way to support Command-\ with any browser that you add to the list of trusted browsers.

• vprelovac
    vprelovac
    Community Member
    Options

@vividluck5412 Assuming this error is on the Orion side of things, please post exact steps to reproduce it.

• John Young
    John Young
    Community Member
    Options

When I invoke 1Password autofill using Command-\, it always brings up the same login which doesn't match whatever site I'm on. Not sure how it decides to pull it, but it's the same wrong login for every site. If I click the extension button in the toolbar, it correctly identifies the site and shows the correct login.

• scottharris1014
    scottharris1014
    Community Member
    Options

That likely happens b/c that site has gotten associated as an app within 1Password. I had that happen where my kagi.com password was the only password that CMD-\ filled. If you go to the login that is always coming up, you'll see Orion (or Orion RC) as an associated app. Deleting that should fix the problem.

• @John Young

Open the login that is always presented. Do you see Orion linked to that login in the details pane? If you remove that linking, assuming it is there, does the errant suggestion go away?

• John Young
    John Young
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Thanks, guys. That was indeed the case. So now when I go to fill a login, I'm met with this dialog: "1Password can't verify that Orion RC should have access to your "Google (*******)" item. Do you want to fill it anyway? And I'm presented with Fill Once, Fill & Update Login, and Cancel. Fill & Update Login leads to the same problem as before. Fill Once works, but then I have to do it every time? I have another machine but I don't feel like it has this issue.

**Edit: Or maybe that's the the issue that was being originally discussed wherein Command-\ doesn't work.

• Sorry about that @scottharris1014 I totally missed your post. Thanks for the assist.

• vividluck5412
    vividluck5412
    Community Member
    Options

@vprelovac - This appears to have been resolved in a recent update. It is working on the Intel MacBook Pro.

• zls
    zls
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Any idea when this will make it to stable?

I love you guys, but this whole situation is a massive fumble on your part. Orion/Kagi users are exactly the people who are willing (eager!) to pay directly for top quality software/support, even when free (or ad-supported) alternatives are available. Yet you've left us waiting for years, and pissed off the Kagi team, who could have been as valuable partners as Fastmail. Yet Arc is supported??

I totally understand your feeling of "we can't keep supporting these one-offs, we need a general solution," but this one was strategically valuable, and you blew it.

• myoung
    myoung
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to add my voice to the mix and invite the 1P team to support and work with Orion fully. With the recent sinister changes to Chrome and more of them in the pipeline, I think supporting browsers like Orion takes precedence.

• vprelovac
    vprelovac
    Community Member
    Options

The changes just landed in Orion beta too (for people not using Orion RC).

https://browser.kagi.com/updates/orion-release-notes.html

• petermm
    petermm
    Community Member
    Options

With the new beta in tow and the nightly desktop app... it's hit and miss. Some fields just work, others require a reload (you can see both the apple keychain icon and the 1password logo in the same place, even though i have password provider set to 3rd party). But one other thing i tried are passkeys, and it seems that doesn't work at all, even though I have the beta extension installed

• ianbogue
    ianbogue
    Community Member
    Options

Hey there. I heard the news about the new trusted browser feature! Super excited to try it out with Orion. I'm on nightly build 81012009 and can see the Add Browser button under Trusted Browsers, but selecting Orion.app does nothing. The file selector window also does not appear unless the main 1Password window is open along with the settings window. Also, after selecting Orion.app, the main window comes in front of the settings window, requiring me to use Cmd + ` to switch back to the settings window. I've tried restarting the app but that did nothing. Any ideas?

• mwean
    mwean
    Community Member
    Options

can see the Add Browser button under Trusted Browsers, but selecting Orion.app does nothing

The same thing is happening to me

• janpeeters
    janpeeters
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

I have the same problem. Adding Orion not OrionRC doesn't add anything in the latest Nightly.

Besides that there is another problem…
    When I try to login to the 1password.eu server my login doesn't stick.
    As soon as I refresh the page I get back to the login page.
    The 1password extension never really unlocks.

Maybe @Mitch Can shine a light on this. Is this a known issue?
    Thanks for all work so far.

I stand corrected I just checked again and the latest Nightly 1Password for Mac 8.10.12 (81012017) makes it possible to add Orion and OrionRC
    And I was even able to unlock via the 1password.eu server. Hooray!

• jjthejet
    jjthejet
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hi @Mitch @ag_Christian,

Any update on the progress of stabilizing the 1Password integration with "untrusted" browsers, specifically using Orion on macOS?

I, along with many other users, are seeing the same behavior that @vividluck5412 is seeing in their post.

This is beta software and issues are to be expected, obviously. However, it's been over a month since the feature was placed in beta and I have not seen any acknowledgment of the issue(s) nor any improvements with the behavior.

It would be great if we could receive confirmation that 1Password is aware of the issues and actively working to resolve them. Additionally, any sort of estimate on timeframe would be much appreciated, you have real customers who are waiting on this functionality to improve their workflows.

• Mitch
    edited August 2023
    Options

@jjthejet: I appreciate the question. There are two parts to this ongoing effort:

1. Allowing 1Password to connect securely to any browser that you trust.
    2. Improving compatibility of the 1Password extension with specific web browsers.

We have been fixing bugs and making improvements to #1, and I can share with you that we are on track to bring this feature to production (likely through 1Password Labs) soon.

The second piece is more complicated since it's a responsibility that's shared with the browser developers. For our part, we aim to make 1Password compatible with the WebExtensions spec that most browsers implement. But each browser is unique, especially ones like Orion that are not simple forks of Chromium.

When we learn about issues with 1Password in a browser, we reach out to the developers to work it out, and we have been in communication with Vlad from Orion about every issue we've found or that has been reported to us. A lot of improvements have been made to bring us from zero support to where things stand today, so I am optimistic that compatibility will continue to improve.

• jjthejet
    jjthejet
    Community Member
    Options

@Mitch: Thank you for your thoughtful response, it's much appreciated.

• vividluck5412
    vividluck5412
    Community Member
    Options

I've been using it since you enabled the functionality and the auto-fill functionality is hit or miss. I trust you're working through issues so only mention it here in case there are any patterns that could be helpful in troubleshooting.

For example...
    It won't auto-fill anything on AWS or Twilio. The dropdown doesn't show and clicking the extension icon shows relevant accounts to choose from but clicking "Autofill" doesn't do anything.

It will show the dropdown but won't auto-fill passwords on LinkedIn. It does fill-in the email.

The extension is completely disabled on Google and latticehq.com (an HR tool) and I can't even click on it.

I haven't been able to get the "Logs in with Google" functionality to work or have it fill forms with credit cards stored in my vault.

• jmanes
    jmanes
    Community Member
    Options

@vividluck5412 I have noticed that when unlocking 1Password through the extension, I often have to refresh the page for autofill to work. But even then, sometimes, I have to click on each individual field and fill them one-by-one.

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member
    Options

Just adding that I'd love to see full and seamless Orion support on Mac.

• vividluck5412
    vividluck5412
    Community Member
    Options

@jmanes Thanks for the tip.

Refreshing the page got the auto-fill working for AWS and Twilio. Admittedly, it's a little hit or miss since it doesn't seem to work on all sites but for those that it does, it's really nice.

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

I'm using the Orion RC on Sonoma. I followed the Orion guide to whitelist the Orion browser within 1P. However, in Orion the 1P menu bar icon works, however, no credential fields have the 1P lock icon and auto fill doesn't work on ANY site. This is with 1P 8.10.18.

• Arnoud
    Arnoud
    Community Member
    Options

Any news on getting passkeys to work, as reported by wmarco in July too? I'm now forced to open these sites in another browser - logging in simply won't work in Orion.

• ray13
    ray13
    Community Member
    Options

Passkeys for Orion browser with MacOS Sonoma... Please...