Safari Extension Started Asking For Password For Every Auto Fill [SOLVED]

Options

Comments

• FriedEngineer
    FriedEngineer
    Community Member
    Options

I can be patient waiting for faceid to be fixed in the extension, if it remains unlocked for the 2 weeks I have it set to but not adhering to that either is ridiculous (I also tried 1 week to no avail). Get yourselves together 1Password team, this is a massive disappointment.

Reinstalling 7 is the only fix I’ve found for now. Thanks for @hegguardo for the quick link.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

In the absence of an official forum response, I would like to see one. When will this confirmed problem be resolved? Thanks.

• ehed
    ehed
    Community Member
    Options

I recommend reverting to 1password 7 for iOS.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Why would I do that? I’m using version 8 on all my other devices and love it. I simply would like to know if it is being worked on.

• starlessblack
    starlessblack
    Community Member
    Options

would someone give us the “too long, didn’t read“ on those other threads to save us some time?

• jimkika
    jimkika
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy any news on this topic? How in the world a company this size can play as amateurs? How can we ask for refund? I'll give up on 1PW

• starlessblack
    starlessblack
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. This seemed to begin happening just a few days ago—did this issue come with version 8.9.6?

• starlessblack
    starlessblack
    Community Member
    Options

Happening to me this week. Couldn’t pin down if it was due to iOS 16.0.3 or 1Password 8.9.6.

• theengine
    theengine
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

My iPhone SE first generation is still on IOS 15.7, and the issue only started with 1PW 8.9.6.

• FriedEngineer
    FriedEngineer
    Community Member
    Options

Scratch my comments on 1Password 7. It is also having the same issues. 🤦‍♂️

• msw70
    msw70
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

So, @more_cowbell, is the statement earlier in this thread accurate: biometrics are not used with Safari extension on iOS? I just assumed that was a bug.

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

Intentionally removed by 1Password a couple updates ago. It’s vaguely mentioned in their release notes. Something about Apple changing something in iOS 16.

• sixsixty
    sixsixty
    Community Member
    Options

Same for me using iPadOS 15.7

• Edison517
    Edison517
    Community Member
    Options

I understand that making improvements in software sometimes breaks other things...but that's what beta-testing is for. So my question is, didn't the beta testers report this [major] bug? and why wasn't it addressed before pushing the software out to the masses?

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    Options

BTW - for those still dealing with this, remember that the old way, where the passwords are done in the autocorrect bar, still works. It at least is helpful for basic logins. It's still a PITA considering that way doesn't fill credit cards and is clunky with multiple logins for a single site.

At this point I'd be ok with them making the old way better and adding credit cards. At least that way will always work with biometrics.

• Hello everyone! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you're being prompted to enter your account password repeatedly into 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad. This is an issue that our developers are still investigating and I want to apologize for the continued inconvenience. As my colleague Tommy mentioned earlier, the following workaround helps some users:

1. Open the 1Password 8 app.
    2. Tap on the account icon in the upper left corner and then tap Settings.
    3. Tap on Safari Extension.
    4. Tap on "Reauthorize After" and choose "1 Week".

As some have mentioned, this workaround doesn't help everyone. If you're still being prompted for your account password repeatedly after trying the steps that I've listed above then I recommend that you temporarily use Password AutoFill to fill and save your 1Password items until the issue is resolved. Our guide for enabling and using Password AutoFill can be found here: Use 1Password to fill and save in apps and browsers on your iPhone and iPad

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#17626

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Please be advised, this "workaround" was only working prior to the last update. It seems pretty universal now that the last update broke ALL "Reauthorize after" functionality.

• @netnothing and @AMonitorDarkly

Thank you for your observations, I've passed them along to our developers. For now please use Password AutoFill if you continue to be affected by the issue: Use 1Password to fill and save in apps and browsers on your iPhone and iPad

I'm sorry again for the inconvenience.

-Dave

• dtoub
    dtoub
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

Given the many (too numerous to count) similar reports here and the high number of poor reviews in the iOS app store about this (current rating 2.7), it astounds me that this is not an all hands on deck matter at AgileBits. And it disappoints me that people who should be fully aware as to whether an alleged "workaround" works or not are also not in the loop.

What happened? This used to be a great app, whether on macOS or iOS (I can't comment on other OS's since i don't use 1PW on them), and with v8, it's been a horror show. Only after a year or 1.5 years has the macOS version of 1PW 8 become less problematic and it is still not where it should be. But that pales against the unusability of the current iOS app. It was a problem in beta and I'm astounded it was released to the public. I had initially installed the release version over the beta and consistently found that the production version of 1PW 8 would not open (no login screen just the icon appeared), forcing me to delete it entirely and reinstall. And as v8 requires reauthentication in the Safari extension regardless of the user settings, and does not include FaceID or even a passcode, it became a burden. Coupled with the poor search functionality, and the maze that is the Home screen of the iOS app (forcing me to rely on search, which his absurd), I went back to v7 on my iOS devices. Much better-it works well and the home page of the app has everything in categories as it had always been, so it's easy to find stuff without needing to invoke Search.

This has nothing to do with Electron (not in iOS). It would seem to have everything to do with poor software development methodology and not being at all responsive to users. If I'm wrong, please talk me down.

Rather than telling us that 1PW 8 has some really key new features (honestly, which are those?) as a way to gaslight us about the many issues everyone is reporting, please take our reports seriously and deal with the issues at hand. And do so honestly. I understand that an ETA is not yet known, and of course that is true of nearly everything in life. But that is an insufficient response; of course no one knows exactly when any software fix for any application will be found, tested and released. But at the very least I think people would feel a little better if they were instead told "we hear you, this is one of the 1-2 top priorities right now and our developers are laser-focused on this since it is not acceptable to lose such functionality." Take some blame, and reassure people that their words are being heard.

No software is perfect. But in all honesty, you had a good thing with v7 on both the Mac and iOS/iPadOS platforms. In the process of making numerous unforced errors, you've alienated and disillusioned many of us. Some have undoubtedly left for other password managers. Many of us have been devoted to 1PW for a good many years and if you've lost a bunch of us, it's a poor prognostic sign.

Better, in my opinion, to pull 1PW 8 on iOS and redistribute version 7 until and unless many of the items that have filled the forum have been addressed (and fully tested/validated). These items include the inability to set a reasonable (1-2 weeks) period without the Safari extension requiring reentering one's password every moment, restoration of FaceID as a way to authenticate in the Safari extension, a return to the home page of old, restoration of in-app browsing (not critical for everyone, but several have raised this issue in the Forum), parity in search functionality with 1PW 7.

1PW 7 worked, and works now. I can easily find my protected information. The Safari extension works without my having to re-enter my 1PW login every time. This was a forced error. It can be reversed and you should consider doing so before more of us leave. Most of us do not want to leave, but if we're eventually forced to use 1PW8 or its descendants, it needs to not lose functionality that we already had and relied upon.

I hate to write a post like this. My experiences with tech support at AB over the years has been exemplary. Again, what happened?

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

+1 to what @dtoub said!

@Dave_1P for now I am using the Password autofill, but sadly it doesn't fill credit card data. So trying to complete a purchase on my phone causes the old school toggle back and forth to copy/paste/go back to app/copy/paste. That and trying to identify multiple logins using the password autofill is painful.

• Stanthewizzard
    Stanthewizzard
    Community Member
    Options

broken for me too
    please readd face-id at least

• Henihazbay
    Henihazbay
    Community Member
    Options

broken and the 1 week setting is not helping. can we please get an ETA when this will be fixed?

This discussion has been closed.