Safari Extension Started Asking For Password For Every Auto Fill [SOLVED]

Options

Comments

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

@orlandoech where do they say they are ditching the Safari extension?

• grovolis21
    grovolis21
    Community Member
    Options

iOS 16.1 is out so hopefully a fix is on the way.

• dtoub
    dtoub
    Community Member
    Options

"Downgrading to 1P7 isn't a solution, it's a workaround and 1P has stated they are ditching the Safari Extension due to iOS Security garbage."

@Orlandoech I agree 1P7 isn't a long-term solution (although it has solved my issues of late) since I suspect AB will no longer support it and it may not work at some point in the future, depending on iOS-specific changes. That said, where have you heard that the safari extension is going away? That seems like pretty necessary functionality for any password manager. Please advise.

• tomerk
    tomerk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for confirming you’re working on this issue. It’s driving me nuts! (only on my iPad Pro, not on my iPhone X)

• khoi
    khoi
    Community Member
    Options

At this point, a fix for this issue can't come soon enough. We're already past the point of acceptability for a subscription service, IMHO.

After having reverted back to 1Password 7, not only does this very basic feature work, but I'm also reminded how much nicer the user experience was before v8. It saddens me to see how off the rails this product has gone.

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

At this point I’m pretty sure the entire iOS team and those that manage them are a sleep at the wheel. No signs of a fix, not even in beta. Add to that new crashing issues coming out of the ios 16.1 launch. Awesome!

• tomerk
    tomerk
    Community Member
    Options

Never assume how easy/hard a software change may be, unless you know the code base.

• Idanox
    Idanox
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

You have to enter the password every time. No face unlocking of the extension. It's worse than version 7. Instead of developing you are going backwards. I don't want to enter a password every second, you go for a second to another app, and you back to safari you need to put the password. If it doesn't improve then I will have to look for something better.
    Give the option to turn it off completely.

• Roaming_Bob
    Roaming_Bob
    Community Member
    Options

Let me add my entry to this list. Damn extension keeps asking for password. And as aggravating, the face id is unavailable in lieu of actually entering the password. And BTY - I have fully exited both Safari and 1Password (on multiple occasions), and my setting is to require the password once every 2 weeks, whereas in action with the Safari extension it seems to be required nearly all the time.
    Finally, your help documentation for the Safari extension appears to be out of date - when turning on the Safari extension, I am not prompted to answer whether to allow 1Password site access all the time.
    1Password 8 has really been a decline in what had been a really great product. I hope you folks can fix the code, and if it means hiring better coders, well - there ya are.

• gmaister22
    gmaister22
    Community Member
    Options

I have this issue too. Please fix it guys, it’s a paid product! It seems an easy bug to fix!

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

Approaching 2 months since this thread was opened.

• am212
    am212
    Community Member
    Options

Just a “me too” post 🙋‍♂️

I switched off the 1P safari extension but I’m pretty disappointed to learn how widespread this issue is, and how slowly it’s being worked on.

• jped508
    jped508
    Community Member
    Options

As with others, this time running iPad OS 16.1, I've the same issue with always being prompted for password entry by the browser extension, despite using the "1 week" purported fix. And I agree it's very frustrating.

• Hi folks,

Thanks for your continued feedback. I don't have much in the way updates to offer but this remains a high priority. For those new to the conversation, Ben's post here includes the latest. We appreciate your continued patience!

• MortalWombatUK
    MortalWombatUK
    Community Member
    Options

This is a persistent issue for me too… really disappointed with 1P8… a terrible, terrible release.
    1P used to be the gold standard (imo) for password managers. Seriously considering pulling my family subscription to a competitor.

• KevinS
    KevinS
    Community Member
    Options

I have to agree with the sentiments above. 1P8 is much clunkier than version 7. I can live with that but the loss of functionality and complete lack of communication from 1P support is a huge cause for concern. I have used 1P since 2006 and previously loved it but unfortunately I’m falling out of love with a program/service that used to be the gold standard against which all others were measured. I’m so disappointed in the company’s response to this.

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

@WorldIRC I agree…let’s start tagging a few of them. 😂

• Khsmty
    Khsmty
    Community Member
    Options

The Safari extension on iPad requires a password every time Safari is closed, even though it sets the reauthentication period to 2 weeks.
    Is this a bug or a spec?

1Password Version: 8.9.6
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iPadOS 16.1
    Browser:_ Not Provided

• hulk02
    hulk02
    Community Member
    Options

I am experiencing the same bug despite having set preferences to "Reauthorize Every Two Weeks." Additionally, the Security setting is set to use FaceID, Require password every 2 weeks, and lock after 8 hours for the primary app. There seems to be a decrement in capability here.

• evtee
    evtee
    Community Member
    Options

I’m also experiencing the same issue

• Hi all.

iOS 16 made some changes to the Safari extension system that meant 1Password wasn't able to use Face ID or Touch ID in a way that works as intended, so we had to turn them off. We've reviewed some more changes that have been made in iOS 16.1, and it looks like we'll be able to turn them back on, although we'll need to make some changes in 1Password to do so, because of some under-the-hood changes in iOS.

Short version: it's coming back, but it'll take a bit of work to do, so keep an eye on the App Store for updates – we'll be sure to mention it in the release notes when it's live again.

In the meantime, you can use Password AutoFill (the "🔑 Passwords" button on the keyboard) to autofill in Safari just like you would in other browsers or apps.

I hope that answers your question fully, but please do let me know if I can be of any further help. :)

— Grey

• hegguardo
    hegguardo
    Community Member
    Options

There is a long-running thread on this here: https://1password.community/discussion/133339/safari-extension-started-asking-for-password-for-every-auto-fill/p7

In summary, 1P are aware (have been for months) and apparently working on it, although no ETA for a fix is available.

• hegguardo
    hegguardo
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P, there are two issues here relating to the iOS/iPadOS Safari extension:
    1. Biometrics disabled
    2. ‘Reauthorize After’ timer not working

You have addressed 1 (the initial focus of this thread) but not 2. Or is there no hope of the timer being fixed without biometric unlocking?

• Ben
    Options

My latest understanding is that reauthorize after is not working because we don't have a safe place to store secrets without biometrics. Fortunately, iOS 16.1 shipped with the goodies we were hoping for. This means, with any luck, we'll be able to push an update soon taking advantage of the new native authentication APIs — bringing biometry back to the Safari Web Extension.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.