Safari Extension Started Asking For Password For Every Auto Fill [SOLVED]

Options

Comments

• Henihazbay
    Henihazbay
    Community Member
    Options

downgrading to 1password 7 fixed the problem.. sigh...

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

Had anyone tried Keeper?

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

I need to use 1Password about 10x daily and this is a royal pain! I’ll take a break from 1Password until this is resolved.

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P yet another 1Password team member that is clearly NOT reading the posts. Stop posting useless workarounds that no loner work at all because you completely broke with the last update and FIX this permanently.

I have about 1 month to my renewal which I will NOT be doing if this trend continues. Pathetic showing from a software company I once loved.

Who can we tag to start getting more visibility on this?

• KaPOWitsCHRIS
    KaPOWitsCHRIS
    Community Member
    Options

Several days on and its still being treated like it’s a non-issue and a workaround that has been repeatedly rebuffed as a fix (mainly because it doesn’t even workaround the problem) is still be suggested. Just like @more_cowbell my renewal is coming up soon, December and honestly, with the mess of 1P8 across Mac and iOS, I am extremely hesitant to hand over anymore of my hard earned cash. Especially in the times of high inflation and cost of living. 10 years I’ve been using 1Password, I’ve never had a reason to complain, but the quality of the app has degraded so much and with so many other competitors out there, is there a reason to stay?

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    Options

@AMonitorDarkly Thanks for the feedback. I had never heard of them until someone on here posted about them.

For now, I'm re-installed 1PW7 alongside 1PW8. Seems to be working to keep the Safari extension unlocked so far.

• hegguardo
    hegguardo
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

@dtoub — thank you for such a comprehensive post, I wholeheartedly echo all of your points.

@netnothing — my next option would be Bitwarden. Admittedly, they do not have a full iOS/iPadOS Safari extension. Apart from that, their features are comparable with 1P (and at a lower cost), they appear to have good, consistent feedback and a transparent, international-first security policy. They seem to focus on getting the basics right first, something vital for such an important utility, and what 1P appear to be losing.

@Orlandoech — personally, I would stay away from LastPass. They have a record of security breaches and are prone to wild changes in pricing and feature strategy. I’m also not a fan of their apps UI, particularly on desktop.

• hegguardo
    hegguardo
    Community Member
    Options

@WorldIRC — as far as I have seen, only LastPass, although I’ve not seen it in action.

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

@WorldIRC Something I’m interested to learn as well, but we don’t have it with 1Password either. Lol

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    Options

@Orlandoech Don't worry, even when they do respond to the ticket, you get the same responses as here. They are looking into it and try setting it for 1 week 🤣

I have to imagine that iOS is still there #1 usage platform, and with this being such a specific bug, you'd think they would be on top of it, pushing a fix out ASAP. Baffling at this point.

Thank you 1PW7!!

• fullct
    fullct
    Community Member
    Options

Adding my voice to the chorus... 1Password used to just work, but now we've lost a basic function (friction-free autofill). This is a classic case of the deterioration of core functionality that occurs when a successful product transitions to a subscription model. The financial pressure to continually release new "features" in order to justify a monthly fee inevitably draws focus away from quality control. What is the service you are actually providing for our monthly fees? Clearly it is not greater focus on a consistent, reliable UX.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

I've merged a couple of threads that are on this subject.

iOS 16.1 is bringing some important changes that we believe will help get us back on track with regard to the unlocking of 1Password for Safari on iOS. We're actively working to take advantage of those changes. The team is all well aware of the impact of having to enter the account password frequently — especially on mobile. Alleviating that pain point is a top priority, but I'm afraid it isn't a quick fix. As a heavy iPad user I feel your pain and we'll get this fixed up as soon as we possibly can. 🙏🏻

Ben

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben blah blah blah…same message. Is the entire company out of wellness days the rest of the year or what???

• theengine
    theengine
    Community Member
    Options

Please don’t forget us who can’t update to IOS 16 (any version) because they have older Apple hardware.

• sixsixty
    sixsixty
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Is this affecting all iOS/iPadOS users? If not, is there any commonality for those of us who are experiencing the issue? Does 1Password have any other suggestions for mitigating the issue and or implementing work-arounds? Unfortunately, it just feels like we're being told to suck it up.

Perhaps someone else knows better, but I thought iOS/iPadOS 16.1 isn't slated for release until the end of October. That's a long two weeks of having to deal with this.

Just curious ... are enterprise customers being given the same messaging? My company fortunately does not use 1Password. I can't imagine the outrage and backlash for those that do.

• Ben
    Options

Face ID support was removed from 1Password for Safari on iOS due to changes to WebAuthn in iOS 16. iOS 16.1 is coming with new APIs that will enable Safari Web Extensions such as ours to access native biometrics on the device similar to how our 1Password for iOS app does. iOS 16.1 will be required for improvement in the situation. As far as I'm aware, these APIs are not coming to iOS 15. Upgrading to iOS 16.1 will likely be required to see improvement.

The situation with the timer for the account password not being respected is a separate issue, but I'm hopeful we'll be able to solve both problems together.

Ben

• dtoub
    dtoub
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

Fun fact: I've been on iOS 16.1 (beta) for many weeks. This bug was seen by me first on 16.1. So I can say beyond a reasonable degree of medical certainty that this is not an issue fixed by iOS 16.1.

• Ben
    Options

Fun fact: I've been on iOS 16.1 (beta) for many weeks. This bug was seen by me first on 16.1. So I can say beyond a reasonable degree of medical certainty that this is not an issue created by iOS.

There are APIs available to us in iOS 16.1 that are not available in previous versions. We have not updated 1Password for Safari to benefit from those new APIs yet, but that is the plan.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.