Experiment #4 – New interface in 1Password.com’s vault view

Options

Comments

• srosenthal72
    srosenthal72
    Community Member
    edited February 25
    Options
    1. I really don't like the location of the field options (e.g., Reveal/Show in Large Type). In the existing version those options display right next to (adjacent) to the field and does not force the user to move their mouse to the other side of the screen. For those with large monitors this is not user friendly.
    2. I don't see the option to switch vaults at the top of the main screen. Maybe that is not available in the preview version?

General questions 1P asked:
    1. Do you prefer this new interface over the old one? So far, too early to tell. Need to see everything implemented including editing. But so far so good.
    2. Do you see value in us rolling out this new interface of the vault view to all 1Password users? So far, too early to tell. **
    3. Are you experiencing any performance issues? Keep in mind this is a read-only version at this time. **No performance issues.

4. How often do you use the vault view in 1Password.com? ** If you mean the view to "Switch" vaults, I do occasionally use that. Is that something you are considering removing because I do like that functionality.

• rob
    Options

ironically security policies are preventing me from being more secure. Probably common in large orgs.

@Al Nelson Sadly too true! I'm sorry you aren't able to use the browser extension. Hopefully there's at least a way to submit feedback like that to your security team.

I didn't realise you can move vaults in the old version - I use the old version for edits, but have always used mobile to switch vaults!

Hey, glad to have maybe helped! :) Hoping to have more to share on this in the new version soon.

• rob
    Options

@srosenthal72 thanks for the feedback!

I really don't like the location of the field options (e.g., Reveal/Show in Large Type). In the existing version those options display right next to (adjacent) to the field and does not force the user to move their mouse to the other side of the screen. For those with large monitors this is not user friendly.

This is a great point. I think most people don't expand the desktop app to fill the full screen, but web browsers often are, and the new design doesn't take that into account. I'll raise this with our design team.

I don't see the option to switch vaults at the top of the main screen. Maybe that is not available in the preview version?

It's moved slightly to the top left corner. You should see "All Vaults" there and clicking it will open the vault switcher.

If you mean the view to "Switch" vaults, I do occasionally use that. Is that something you are considering removing because I do like that functionality.

Ah, by "vault view" we just mean the part of the web app where you can see your vaults and items, as opposed to the admin side where you can invite people to your account, manage billing, etc. No plans to remove the vault switcher, although we're still experimenting with how it works. It's a bit different from the desktop apps, where vaults are listed in the sidebar.

• srosenthal72
    srosenthal72
    Community Member
    edited February 29
    Options

Thanks for pointing out the Vault selection moved. Guess I was so used to where it currently is that I didn't see that it was moved. I will also add that it is a little confusing what vaults are displayed above a selected password. When I test this, I see the name of my account and next to the vault the password is in. Which makes one think it's in 2 vaults when actually the password is only one vault. See below:

• konstantin
    konstantin
    Community Member
    edited February 29
    Options
    1. Do you prefer this new interface over the old one?

No, mainly for one reason.

• Changing vaults with a dropdown is great. Keep it.
    • The ability to resize the colums comes directly from heaven.
    • Dark mode is nice.
    • Removing the Categories list from the leftmost column and moving it to a dropdown is a cruel "I hate my customers" move.

1Password should be a productivity app and forcing me to click 3 times instead of 1 ain't exactly "productive". I can't grasp the idea of hiding the categories list in a dropdown. What are you doing? Saving pixels on my 32" monitor?

You already did a similar thing on the iPad app. It now takes 5 times longer to find what I am looking for and I am genuinly annoyed for the entire time I am helplessly navigating a complex menu structure to find, say, a credit card info. The previous iPad app was incredible. The latest one drives me crazy.

In order to make this sort-of-constructive criticism, instead of just replacing the Categories list with empty space, I can suggest you allow me to pin some categories there for quick access. Please don't expect me to go through 600 items and put additional tags just because someone thought they are the preferred way to navigate around. I'd also love the same feature on the mobile app - I get the ability to pin "Tips" but I don't get to pin "Credit Cards"? Why?

2. Do you see value in us rolling out this new interface of the vault view to all 1Password users?

There are things (listed above) that I would love using but I would stick to the old UI forever just because of the categories dropdown.

4. How often do you use the vault view in 1Password.com?

Not sure what you call "the vault view" but if it is the one that lists all my vaults in big rectangles, I can say I have 6 vaults yet I don't think I ever use the vault view.

• rob
    Options

When I test this, I see the name of my account and next to the vault the password is in. Which makes one think it's in 2 vaults when actually the password is only one vault.

@srosenthal72 ah, yeah, that's another thing we inherited from the desktop app that makes a little less sense on the web. In the desktop, you can be signed in to multiple accounts, so we want to make it clear which account the item is in, not just which vault. I'm curious if you've ever used the desktop app. It sounds like maybe not?

• rob
    rob
    edited March 1
    Options

@konstantin thanks for telling us about your use case! This is why we ask for feedback. 😅 I personally just use search, so moving the categories to a filter menu doesn't really change my workflow.

If you have time, I'd love to get a little more context on your use case. How often are you switching categories, and how often do you switch vaults? I noticed you found the vault menu acceptable but the category menu unacceptable. In the desktop app, both of those are available in the sidebar and here they're both behind an extra click, so I'd like to learn more.

Not sure what you call "the vault view" but if it is the one that lists all my vaults in big rectangles, I can say I have 6 vaults yet I don't think I ever use the vault view.

This seems to be a common point of confusion. 😄 The "vault view" refers to the part of 1Password.com that we're upgrading here, the place where you see your vaults and the items inside, as opposed to the home page (which I think is where you see the "big rectangles" we call vault cards internally), or other account management aspects of 1Password.com (billing, inviting people, etc.). I'd also love to hear what you would call that view.

• lizzzz
    lizzzz
    Community Member
    Options

Mostly, yes. The vault list and searchability on the left I like. It seams more intuative in this new layout.

The one thing that I find harder to use are the actions for the items within an entry, like Copy / Open / Reveal / etc.

I use a larger monitor, so the action being all the way to the right of the screen visually disconnects what I'm interacting with.

Also, 2 clicks for an action I use a lot for URLS (Copy) is more cumbersome.

Improvement/feature ideas

1. If there was a setting so one could change the default action for a field type would be great - this way I would be able set it to what I use most often.

2. Another idea is that clicking the row itself triggers the default action. Currently the row hightlights, but I still have to go all the way to the right to click the action link/button to trigger it.

3. And final idea, if a custom context menu could be given on right click for the extra actions, that would help usability on larger screen sizes. No need to make sure when moving the mouse over to the right you're still highlighting the same row.

1. Do you see value in us rolling out this new interface of the vault view to all 1Password users?

Yes, I do.

1. Are you experiencing any performance issues? Keep in mind this is a read-only version at this time.

Not at this time. All good.

1. How often do you use the vault view in 1Password.com?

I'm switching between vaults multiple times a day. Using the list selection for vault switching is what is used most. The "All vaults" landing page is rarely used for me.

• mdelp
    mdelp
    Community Member
    Options

From a UX perspective, it would be nice to have a 'tile view' where items are displayed on the right pane. Currently, the right pane cannot be readily utilized unless you click on a particular item to display its details or because, coincidentally, you need to manage the first one on the list (that gets displayed by default).

A tiling system would serve several benefits for me:

1. Customizable dashboard view of the items/tiles that count (Favourites, specific category/ies, all or recent items/tiles).

2. Faster actionable tasks. For example, having a 'copy password' button on a tile would speed up the process of performing the same task in three steps at the moment, where I have (1) maybe search for the item, (2) select the item, and (3) only then click to copy the password once the item is displayed on the right pane. For me, it does make a big difference from a UX and productivity point of view.

3. A tiling pane could display different carousels of tiles from various categories, as an actual dashboard should do. Although it is a different product, I take the Evernote (web) interface as a good reference model for productivity.

4. Color coding categories (and tags) would also improve the overall UX.

These are my 2 pence. Thank you for your attention.

• dshintag
    dshintag
    Community Member
    Options

In the current UI version, you can quickly focus the cursor on the Search box by pressing Ctrl+F (in Windows). In the new version, Ctrl+F brings up the browser's own find box, which does not provide the same functionality. Please re-add the Ctrl+F shortcut support.

• Hav1
    Hav1
    Community Member
    Options
      Yes I this version looks a lot better and fits in with the look of the apps on the other platforms.
    2. Do you see value in us rolling out this new interface of the vault view to all 1Password users?
      Yes the old vault view has always looked rather outdated and it has always been behind feature wise
    3. Are you experiencing any performance issues? Keep in mind this is a read-only version at this time.
      Just the lack of categories like credit cards, social security and the others. It seems like every time this new design is rolled out those categories are missing. I'm not sure if you think these categories are no longer necessary but they are extremely valuable in organizing our data and finding what we are looking for quickly and in one organized spot based on the type of data.
    4. How often do you use the vault view in 1Password.com?
      Every day I use it mainly with my computer at work. I find it's extremely useful in this situation because you can't necessarily install the 1password app but you can make use of the vault view and chrome extension. The extension is great for signing in quickly. And the vault view is good for always having my info it's kinda like having the native app on my pc and it's great that I can use it anywhere. So I think it's defiantly worth it to continue development of the vault view.
  • konstantin
    konstantin
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @rob , thanks for the reply. I apologize for my long reply in advance but the fact someone saw my post gave me extra writing powers.

First, I should mention how I use vaults. There are two main cases:

• Sharing credentials with family - Usually this means I had the "primary" credential in my personal vault and at some point I created a duplicate into a shared vault. I am copying them instead of moving them because I am paranoid. Therefore I would like to not see this duplicate item in the "all items" list. If I want to edit something, I have all the time in the world, so I don't care how easy it is to get to that item.
    • Moving specific and rarely used items to a separate vault to reduce visual noise in my main/personal vault. For example I have a separate vault for license keys. There are 100+ items there and I may need something once every 5 years so it makes sense to move them to a separate place.

In the new UI, I directly get All Items in All Vaults.
    This is actually counter-productive and counter-intuitive for me because the main reason I create separate vaults in the first place is because I'd like things to stay separate and not all mixed up.
    A simple checkbox like "Open personal vault by default" would solve this.

Just for comparison, in the current UI I enter the Home page and I click Personal. I don't see much additional value in that page - it's just a screen I have to leave in order to get to the important stuff. If I can enter directly the vault view instead of Home, it will actually save a few seconds and I will not miss a single bit of functionality. Btw, in the mobile apps there is no tile that allows me to achieve the same result (open a vault).

BTW, I think the "all vaults" option is good for search if you have many shared vaults and for people who over-organized their data and created 20 vaults with no practical benefit and now have a huge mess to deal with (e.g. my wife). In the other end of the spectrum you have people like me, who regularly go and spend hours reorganizing and optimizing stuff so it is 1 second faster to get to the thing you are looking for. Therefore it makes sense to have the default option for my wife who will anyway never open the Settings window and that checkbox for me, who is paying for her account as well.

In summary, I am fine if the vault selection is a dropdown because I don't really change vaults that often.

This is already too long but I am getting to the Categories topic.

It is important to understand that sometimes you need something fast.
    In many cases with 1Password, this "something" is related to MFA.
    In my previous post I mentioned the Credit Cards category so I start with that:

Let's say I am shopping online and for the payment I need to enter a 3D Secure code that I get as SMS.
    Unfortunately, I am doing this on my iPad so I am already pressured to find my phone quickly and copy the numbers within the next minute or so... but my bank also has a static code that has to be provided in addition to the SMS code. Of course, it is stored as a field in the credit card item in my personal vault...
    ... So I open 1Password on iPad and I get my beloved Home screen. This is a totally useless screen because it never shows what I need when I am in a hurry. So I have to open the sidebar (1st tap) and make the first choice: do I select "Search" or "Personal Vault".
    I pretty much never go for "search" because I have 8 cards, some with English names and some with Bulgarian names (which also means Cyrillic kb) and I have no idea which search keyword will return the card I want. It might not be that big of an issue if I just remember the name I put on the item in the first place, but your entire product is sold on the premise I don't have to remember things, so no.
    ... At this point I am already nervous that my SMS code will expire or the darn website will crash (due to js/quantum reasons) because I am not actively looking at it... but I open the Personal vault (2nd tap). Now I get a list of 240 logins and the card I am looking for is at the 241 place. At some point I realized I can also search in that view but we covered that already. So, to narrow my options down, I have to open the Categories dropdown and select Credit Cards (3rd and 4th tap).
    ... I realize that I probably have milliseconds remaining until my code expires but my OCD kicks in.
    These items are sorted by "date modified" and there is a month and a year between every 2 items. My mind says "copy the code and finish the payment" but my heart says "who decided that sorting credit cards by date modified (which I am pretty sure is default because I never clicked it) is a good idea" - cards are something you change every few years so my list is actually sorted in a round-robin fashion. And all those dates between items are just visual noise. And since the list is practically unsorted, I have to read the names of all 8 cards and pick the correct one. It's a good thing they are just 8 and not 30.

To be fair, it was never so slow that the SMS code expired, but despite the positive statistics, the stress is there every time. Also, sometimes I get the Home screen, sometimes I am directly presented with the vault view. When you are in a hurry, this is confusing as hell.

I could give a bunch of other examples, like speaking on the phone and having to search for something while the other person is waiting on the other side but I think you get the point.

Any UI is good when you are casually browsing your logins. When you start optimizing, things change.
    I can see the new UI tries to copy things from the mobile apps but in reality it's the apps that need some improvement.

The iPhone app is mostly the same but there are key differences. There, I can always tap "Items" or "Search" on the bottom and navigate to a known screen (the Home button is frowned upon).

Both the iPad and the browser have the extra screen real estate to accommodate additional 10 lines in the sidebar.
    In the web browser this sidebar is always open so this allows me to get to what I need in a single click.
    In the iPad app, if I am in the Home screen, I first have to open the sidebar because there is no tile that allows me to get to a place quickly. My impressions are that this tiles concept is underdeveloped and does not improve efficiency.

I cannot comment on the desktop app, because the last version I used 10 years ago was 1Password 3 for Windows... but I am sure it is great :)

• farzadsangi
    farzadsangi
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Max_ag, my family and I have used 1Password for years and we love it. Our main way of access is web. I heavily use both "categories" and "tags" to be able to filter among the sea of information I have, quickly. This new interface is adding 1-click to the workflow of users like me who want to switch between categories (e.g. Credit Cards, Passport, Secure Notes, ...) because they are hidden under a dropdown menu.
    I kindly ask to either not move forward with the new interface OR consider my usecase in your new design.

• aviloff
    aviloff
    Community Member
    Options

@Max_ag Throwing in my 5 cents here

I definitely prefer the new look!

What I miss though is the ability to see all vaults, as well as all categories right away, as they are in the desktop app currently (I'm on MacOS). Yes, it's possible to select both the current vault and category from the dropdowns, but since I have a lot of both and often switch between them, it takes extra clicks.

So, since you said you're trying to align UI across all platforms, I believe having an option to make the left panel look like on the desktop app (see the screenshot below) would be quite useful.

• segv11net
    segv11net
    Community Member
    Options

I don't see "Settings" anywhere in the interface. Where would I select whether I want Dark Mode or not (the usual thing to do is offer Light/Dark/Auto...

• JeffPepper
    JeffPepper
    Community Member
    Options

It would be REALLY nice to have a "Recently Used" option, and to set that as the default. Right now I have to take some extra steps to create favorites, and that wouldn't be needed if there was a Recently Used option.

Also, of course, there would need to be a way to opt out of this, for privacy reasons.

• Me1234
    Me1234
    Community Member
    Options

Love the clean look of the interface - will there be an option to show categories in the left panel? I would prefer that to the tags.

• S4m
    S4m
    Community Member
    Options

The new updates are an ok addition, but the real problems with 1Password should be addressed. The updates are more superficial.

1. 1Password goes "offline" way too often and doesn't come back online automatically. It always says to click the offline icon in the toolbar.

2. Logging in to 1Password requires clicking on the toolbar after already clicking on the icon in a text input. Clicking on the icon should automatically bring up the auth pop-up. No need for the extra click.

3. When a site has both a "username" (for display) and an "email" (for auth) 1Password doesn't recognize the distinction and typically will put the username in the email field and has to be fixed manually.

4. Associating an existing site with an app on Android is more cumbersome than necessary. It would be reasonable for 1Password to maintain it's own master association list and use that to make suggestions.

5. Editing a site within the plugin should be done within the plugin in Chrome. Instead it opens in a new window and usually even requires searching for the site to update again (sometimes it opens to that site automatically though).

6. 1Password should recognize security questions and record and fill in that information automatically.

7. 1Password tries to fill in the password when there is an SMS security code validation.

8. 1Password should recognize the site is asking for something else and not suggest the password.

9. 1Password ideally would integrate with a mobile phone's SMS and email to gather security codes automatically and populate them on sites.

10. 1Password often has trouble filling in address information for states when sites use a non-standard drop-down for state (this may be difficult to implement, but perhaps for the most common implementations it's feasible).

11. 1Password has trouble filling in information when the site is not in English.

12. Multiple credentials for the same site should be grouped together within 1Password so they can be managed more clearly.

13. Installing 1Password on a browser on desktop when it is already installed in another browser should have a more streamlined experience not requiring the secret key.

14. 1Password on Android is a bit inconsistent where it recognizes a login form and shows the auth options vs when there is no recognition and I have to switch back to 1Password and manually copy over the username/password.

I hope these requests/suggestions are helpful. Overall I am happy with 1Password since switching from LastPass, but these are a number of annoyances.

• pearish
    pearish
    Community Member
    Options

I like the fact that the new look more closely matches the look of the 1Password application (at least the Mac version). However, it introduces the possibility for the same confusion that exists in the Mac app.

The original, web-based UI lists all the major "views", ie "All Items", "Favorites", "Categories", etc., on the left, and only 1 can be selected at a time. As a consequence, you can't inadvertently filter your view by, say, "Favorites", and then choose a category that filters just the items in "Favorites". I made this mistake recently with the Mac app, when my view was filtered by "Favorites", and I created a new item that didn't show up in my view. It took my quite a while to figure out why new items weren't showing up.

On the other hand, I can also see the potential benefit of being able to sub-filter e.g. just the credit cards in "Favorites". Personally, I don't have many favorites. So, the potential for confusion outweighs the potential benefits of sub-filtering.

• msankaran
    msankaran
    Community Member
    edited March 2
    Options

Definitely like the new interface better than the old one. Do you envision rolling this out to browser extensions as well? I don't see the user profile dropdown menu in the new version. Is that just because it is a beta version?

• JFreePHX
    JFreePHX
    Community Member
    Options

I am not sure where to leave my feedback because I was immediatley saying thank you because I had instant relief to my eyes because of the dark mode in my web browser. The all white background like what I am typing my feedback on in our forum is overwhelming for me to work on (at night at least). Well done! - Jeff

• chrisv192833
    chrisv192833
    Community Member
    Options

Clicking the URL in an item is defaulted to "Open & fill" Perhaps it should default to open, and "Open & fill" as an option.
    1. Do you prefer this new interface over the old one? - nice look and feal.
    2. Do you see value in us rolling out this new interface of the vault view to all 1Password users? Yes, so far.
    3. Are you experiencing any performance issues? No, not yet.
    4. How often do you use the vault view in 1Password.com? Always.

• SteamMatthew
    SteamMatthew
    Community Member
    Options

I realize this is Beta and also read only mode, which make sense to prevent issues with the transition to the UI.

I'm a fan of the consistency as the desktop app. This has been a request that I've posted many times like incorporating Watchtower across vaults (looking forward to when this is the next update).

I look forward to having a rich UI similar to the desktop, especially for a use case of using a public computer that can't allow for installing applications.

• RazorX2
    RazorX2
    Community Member
    Options

Unusable on wider monitors. Copy button is miles away from the value I want to copy.

• gd2
    gd2
    Community Member
    Options

The new GUI is missing the + button which was located at the right side of the search box

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser: Chrome

• Felipe Alvarez
    Felipe Alvarez
    Community Member
    Options

I don't seem to be able to find the "create new" button in the new UI... am I blind?

• amh686
    amh686
    Community Member
    Options

I can't see an edit button for an item. Pretty fundamental.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@gd2

I think it's purposely omitted due to being in read-only mode during the preview portion. Keep looking, and let us know if anything else stands out. I noticed this morning that some of my custom icons are missing. Your post got me looking, so thank you kindly. I hadn't noticed it before.

• Max_ag
    Options

Thank you everyone for continuing to test and give feedback, there are some great pieces of insight here that we will take into our continuing improvements as we move through the beta

For those asking about edit and create functionality, as stated in the main post this is a beta and currently in read only mode. Editing etc… will be arriving in the coming weeks

Thanks

Max

• hulbertcarol
    hulbertcarol
    Community Member
    Options

Not liking that the log out option is "hidden."