Experiment #4 – New interface in 1Password.com’s vault view

Options

Comments

• xinit
    xinit
    Community Member
    Options

In this list of items, I think incorporating a FILTER in addition to the SORT would be helpful. I see the search above, but sometimes, a filter would be helpful. I've been mimicking that with TAGS for some things I routinely use, but I don't want to have to scroll the TAGS list if at all possible.

Sort by Date Used (ie, copied, or auto-filled?) might be nice for floating regularly used items to the top, or by reversing the sort, seeing things I might want to update / check on.

This is a long way to travel to hit REVEAL.

Like in many sorted alphabetical lists like this, being able to quickly click on "H" rather than scrolling past hundreds of entries (10.x.x.x, 192.x.x.x, etc... ) would be a navigational help. Similar to how you might see a list like this in a mobile app (other than the 1password android app which doesn't... ) that has hundreds or thousands of entries, where the bookmarks to each letter header are listed down the side. A... B... C...

I know that editing is not enabled in this test, but in the event this feature isn't in the plan for the web app, please make moving items between vaults possible in the web app. Having to pick up the phone to move something I forgot to is a bit of a pain.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

I was surprised that opening the web app brought the question to switch to the new beta view. I like the new design. Now it looks similar to the desktop app. Great.

I would like to see my custom icons there as well. Actually, there are only the default icons.

Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to future changes. 👌

• PolarisFlyer
    PolarisFlyer
    Community Member
    Options
    1. Do you prefer this new interface over the old one?
      I like the new interface, but I think it still has far too much empty "white" space that you could use for other features, or just to make it more compact. I enjoy the slight color variations available in this beta interface.

2. Do you see value in us rolling out this new interface of the vault view to all 1Password users?
      I think the refreshed interface is going to help keep this system feeling revitalized. However, I am likely not the only one that will say this. Your app is utilitarian in nature, and its users pop in and out of it quickly. If they lingered in the site / app for a longer period of time, then perhaps the interface refresh might take on even more importance. Without seeing what the functionality will be like outside of the "read only" mode, I honestly cannot answer the question of value.

3. Are you experiencing any performance issues? Keep in mind this is a read-only version at this time.
      I have not experienced any performance issues under this beta version.

4. How often do you use the vault view in 1Password.com?
      I use 1Password at least four or five times a day, perhaps more!

• APieceOfFriedChicken
    APieceOfFriedChicken
    Community Member
    Options

I guess it looks okay. More color is visually interesting for many people, not me so much. I prefer the simpler look, even if it appears more sterile. I don't like to be distracted from facts with glitz and fashion.... but that's me and you did ask.

I'm not sure I like having the Categories where you placed them, I think Categories are more like Tags and they should remain together as they serve similar function in organizing our logins, etc.

Maybe I missed it but where is the "+" icon to add a new login or item?

• APieceOfFriedChicken
    APieceOfFriedChicken
    Community Member
    Options

Thought I would follow the format of the questions and missed the edit timeout

1. Do you prefer this new interface over the old one?
    I guess it looks okay. More color is visually interesting for many people, not me so much. I prefer the simpler look, even if it appears more sterile. I don't like to be distracted from facts with glitz and fashion.... but that's me and you did ask. I'm not sure I like having the Categories where you placed them, I think Categories are more like Tags and they should remain together as they serve similar function in organizing our logins, etc.

2. Do you see value in us rolling out this new interface of the vault view to all 1Password users?
    I prefer to have options. I think having the choice of 2 or more designs is better and shows that customers can make it appear more to their own tastes.

3. Are you experiencing any performance issues? Keep in mind this is a read-only version at this time.
    None that I found. Maybe I missed it but where is the "+" icon to add a new login or item? Even if it is only a Read-only version, I would have thought the design would show the Add login icon.

4. How often do you use the vault view in 1Password.com?
    Only when I need to log in on my work computer that won't allow the use of browser extensions. Other than that I pretty much only use the extensions for every day usage and the Vault for login organization, and management.

• c2000
    c2000
    Community Member
    Options

The search capability does not work very well in the new interface. In the original view, doing a search of a word in all vaults of a word bring up my 3 entries across all the vaults (private and shared) when I press enter. In the new interface, they are found and listed in the drop down list that appears but when I press enter, I only see the first entry, not all three listed.

Overall, I like the bigger, bolder looking font and being easier to read, but it could be a little smaller.

• BionicBison05
    BionicBison05
    Community Member
    Options

Mildly off-topic, but I noticed a fix mentioned for displaying custom categories, yet I've never come across this while using 1Password. Is that something that's in development? If so, is there a way for me to try it out? Maybe a nightly?

• Max_ag
    Options

@BionicBison05 custom categories has been in beta for businesses for a long time which is why a limited few will know about it

In honesty we don’t love the current implementation which is why it didn’t make it out of beta, but we do see the huge potential that it has and is a big topic for me and my team

• Max_ag
    Options

@c2000 thabks for calling that out, we recently made this change in the desktop apps to “show all matching results” on pressing enter, so we’ll make sure parity exists on the web version

• rob
    Options

All right folks. Y'all are amazing and have really come through with the feedback! ❤️ As Max said, there are a lot of goodies here that we're going to be taking back to the team. I do want to call out a few popular requests and also respond to some specific questions and comments.

First up, the gigantic sprawl of item details when your browser is full width on a big screen. Thanks to @srosenthal72 @lizzzz @RazorX2 @xinit @PolarisFlyer for calling this out. This design was created for the desktop app, which folks probably don't expand to fill their screen as often as they do with their browser window. I'm going to be taking this back to our designers and maybe we can at least get a max width set on that, similar to the original view.

Next, who moved my cheese categories?! @konstantin @Hav1 @farzadsangi @aviloff @Me1234 @APieceOfFriedChicken I've heard you loud and clear, and we'll be adding the categories back to the sidebar. 😎

Those are the biggest ones so far. As I said earlier, there's a ton of great feedback here, though, and I'm going to be filing several issues and insights for our product and development teams to review. Some of the feedback here has been more about 1Password in general, and so I'll be forwarding that to the appropriate people.

I did want to respond to some specific comments as well. If I don't respond to yours and you wanted a specific response, feel free to comment again.

Another idea is that clicking the row itself triggers the default action. Currently the row hightlights, but I still have to go all the way to the right to click the action link/button to trigger it.

@lizzzz this should be working! I just tested it successfully on my side. Can you try again? If the default action is Copy, for example, clicking the row itself should copy the field.

Just for comparison, in the current UI I enter the Home page and I click Personal.

@konstantin Ah, this will be supported for the new UI as well. If you don't click the "go back to original view" button in the new UI but instead select "Manage Account" from the bottom of the vaults menu, you should see that the links on the home page now take you to those vaults in the new view.

That said, the comments about having a default vault open instead of All Vaults makes sense to me and I'm filing that away for our product team to consider. It probably won't happen in this initial iteration since we still have the home page, but it will be worth considering if we re-evaluate the home page especially.

Thanks for going into so much detail on your usage of the app. I think it's a really helpful qualitative perspective, and I'll share it with our team that's been researching usability.

I don't see "Settings" anywhere in the interface. Where would I select whether I want Dark Mode or not (the usual thing to do is offer Light/Dark/Auto...

@segv11net We'll be looking into adding settings in the future, but we're focused on some other big pieces of functionality right now.

It would be REALLY nice to have a "Recently Used" option

@JeffPepper we do have this in the desktop version! We may be able to bring it to the web in the future, but right now we're focused on replacing the functionality that already exists on the web before we start adding a bunch of new things.

The new updates are an ok addition, but the real problems with 1Password should be addressed.

@S4m thanks for providing that list of feedback! This discussion thread is focused on the usability of the new design of the vault item view on 1Password.com, but I'm forwarding your message to the appropriate folks.

So, the potential for confusion outweighs the potential benefits of sub-filtering.

@pearish this is an interesting perspective. I can see how filtering the wrong view could be confusing. As you noted it could also be useful for some people. When we add the Categories back to the sidebar do you think that will address the problem for you?

Do you envision rolling this out to browser extensions as well?

@msankaran I'm not sure what you mean by this. Our current browser extension already looks pretty similar to this new view, although smaller so that it fits well as a popup. Can you explain what you'd like to see change in the browser extensions? It's not something we're doing as part of this project, but I can forward your feedback to the appropriate team.

I don't see the user profile dropdown menu in the new version. Is that just because it is a beta version?

@msankaran Can you clarify what you're referring to? Do you mean the menu in the other area of the web app that has links to your profile? If so, we're not planning to add that here specifically, but if you go to the bottom of the vaults menu, you can find the "Manage Account" button to get back to the account center. In the future, we will likely be adding more features directly to this view so you won't need to use "Manage Account" very much.

Not liking that the log out option is "hidden."

@hulbertcarol can you elaborate on this? We've always had it at the bottom of a menu, although if you have quite a few vaults I can see how it could be harder to find now.

In this list of items, I think incorporating a FILTER in addition to the SORT would be helpful.

@xinit What kinds of filters would you want to see here? Note that the category menu is a filter.

I would like to see my custom icons there as well. Actually, there are only the default icons.

@DenalB custom icons will be coming in a future version. 👍 The regular rich icons should be working though. Are you saying that a Login item for google.com doesn't show the Google icon?

Maybe I missed it but where is the "+" icon to add a new login or item? Even if it is only a Read-only version, I would have thought the design would show the Add login icon.

@APieceOfFriedChicken We opted to hide buttons and menus that we haven't finished just yet rather than have a bunch of stuff that would do nothing when you click on it. 😄

Phew, I made it. Looking forward to continuing these discussions.

• fernandog
    fernandog
    Community Member
    Options

I have this error when I open web app and the notification about the beta version:

• stg5213
    stg5213
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    In the beta version is it possible to change\edit the password in the vault? I don't see that option in the vault.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser: Not Provided

• Ytzen
    Ytzen
    Community Member
    Options

Please, please, please, don't use white letters on black background in menu or sidebar. For me that's very difficult to read. (I also hate 'night mode', can't work with that.) Please, give at least the option to have the 'old' (present) black on white/greay sidebar. Thanks.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

@rob

Are you saying that a Login item for google.com doesn't show the Google icon?

The default rich icons are shown. And yes, Google has got a rich icon. But I customized all of my entries with much better icons. I'm looking forward to having them in the Web GUI, too.

• outn93
    outn93
    Community Member
    Options

I like the new format overall and I do like the night mode but I know lots of ppl who prefer the white background. One thing I use frequently is 'view password', so I don't like to have to use the down arrow and click. Right now 'copy' is prioritized over 'view'. Either make a toggle available so user can view all passwords during a session OR make a click-less way to view individual passwords.

• APieceOfFriedChicken
    APieceOfFriedChicken
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, as long as your product remains the most secure in the field and still tries to be reasonably priced, I'm in. I appreciate the effort of including our input in the design changes 😎👍, but if it comes at the cost of being any less secure⚡, then keep it the good old tried and true design.

• shimmoril
    shimmoril
    Community Member
    edited March 6
    Options
    1. Do you prefer this new interface over the old one? Ehhh, still at the "this is new" phase I think. I don't hate it, it's just different. I think the biggest muscle memory change is the location of the vault switcher, since I have personal and work vaults that I switch between multiple times per day usually.

2. Do you see value in us rolling out this new interface of the vault view to all 1Password users? Sure? I know the value of a unified codebase, so I'm not going to argue with you :)

3. Are you experiencing any performance issues? Keep in mind this is a read-only version at this time. None at this point.

4. How often do you use the vault view in 1Password.com? As noted above, tons! I like having my personal stuff and work stuff separated, having separate favourite lists etc.

And speaking of faves, I really don't like that the favourites view has the letters/phone book style now. It makes it less of an at-a-glance type view, which is what I really liked about it. Instead of being able to see all my favourites at once (10-15 per vault), now I have to scroll to find what I'm looking for. Seems like a lot of extra space to have those separators with little to no value (IMO). I don't mind the letters/separators in the all items view since there is a ton more records there, but I also don't usually use all items except to launch a search.

And speaking of search, having it be for all vaults is pretty annoying as well. Again, I like and want the separation and I do have separate personal and work logins for the same service/site a lot of the time (ie. Google), so having grouped search results is annoying cause I actually have to think about which one I need.

One other thing that would be nice would be for the search (and category selection) to persist when switching between all items and favourites.

Oh, and I just realized that every time I log back into 1Password, the vault selector resets back to all, which is annoying.

• ghostdog
    ghostdog
    Community Member
    edited March 7
    Options

Looks great!!! because look like the APP but!!! Why the APP do not look the same? I mean, when I go to a Vault in the APP, I want see only the tags and categories of that VAULT!!

In the new web UI, when I go to a VAULT immediately filter the TAGS.

Still do not filter categories.

**Overall, when I go to a VAULT I want only see tags and categories of the items in that VAULT (the vault auto filter tags and categories). If I select ALL VAULTS of course show all the tagss and categories of all vaults. **

• ghostdog
    ghostdog
    Community Member
    Options

I love the new because looks like the App.

But why the App do not filter automatically the tags and categories. If I select a Vault I want see only the TAGS and CATEAGORIES related with items in that vault!!

Overall the APP and the WEB acts different. I prefer how acts the WEB over the APP.

• lizzzz
    lizzzz
    Community Member
    Options

@rob Thanks for your detailed response! :D

Just getting back to you regarding the copy on click - seems to work for me now.

I think my computer must have been having a temporary clipboard issue as I was clicking and pasting into notepad without my clipboard content updating after clicks.

• jwasserman
    jwasserman
    Community Member
    Options

The original version works great. The new version doesn't add much for me -- but it's okay. (Sorry). The big issue I see is that I don't see a way to add new items with the new version. If there's a plus sign somewhere, I don't see it and it's not intuitive for me.

• cehilton
    cehilton
    Community Member
    Options

I'm glad you finally took my advice and cleared search term which was a nuisance when changing groupings (i.e. All, Favorites, Tags) after search #TGB-34762-443

• cehilton
    cehilton
    Community Member
    Options

I don't think logon entry fields for username and especially password need to stretch to the right edge of the browser window. As it is cursor has to be moved to the far right, which might be 15-20 inches to copy the password. Less unnecessary cursor movement is good.

• qiaofxing
    qiaofxing
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, is it possible to provide a switch for theme switching? I prefer to use a bright coloured interface rather than dark colours.

• boomdaddy3
    boomdaddy3
    Community Member
    Options

I think I read the beta version is currently "read-only". Is this correct?
    I am unable to edit a login using this interface.

• matt1125
    matt1125
    Community Member
    Options

I definitely like it! It looks much cleaner. I use vault view on my work computer whenever I need to find creds that are not for a website or edit something. I can't install 1password desktop app cause it's a work issued machine.

• vinaluf
    vinaluf
    Community Member
    Options

I personally think having the categories on the left bar would be way easier than having to select from a drop down at the top. This is a step back in my opinion

• dkg
    dkg
    Community Member
    Options

"Do you prefer this new interface" - - NO. CATEGORIES.... I cannot understand why your developers are so opposed to showing the Categories item in a quick access location. Please keep the Categories choice upfront on the web version and the MacOS version. The iPad version of 1Password is almost unusable as it takes sooo much mousing around to find a particular log-in item. "Search" is not a good substitute since it requires additional typing - and it is not immediately displayed on every page as on most database programs

• YolandaVega
    YolandaVega
    Community Member
    Options

I have really large screens. In the beta version, the "copy" button is aaaaaaall the way to the right of the screen. In the current version, it's right next to the thing I need to copy, adjusting to the length of the text in that field.

In the beta version, I also cannot find a way to add new login information - but that might just be because it's beta.

• krivet
    krivet
    Community Member
    Options

No way to "edit" and I'll assume that is by design for now. Being able to move the column sizes (to the left and right) is GREAT and a much-welcomed improvement. It could be done with the desktop app, but (currently) cannot be done using 1PW in the tabs.