Experiment #4 – New interface in 1Password.com’s vault view

Options

Comments

• jsmith131
    jsmith131
    Community Member
    Options

Looks really good! Only suggestion, when I search for a password, it comes up below the search field, it would be nice if when you hit enter the window hides all passwords other than what shows based on the search criteria.

• Thorz
    Thorz
    Community Member
    edited March 14
    Options
    1. Do you prefer this new interface over the old one?

Yes. It looks like the GUI of the desktop app which is really good.

1. Do you see value in us rolling out this new interface of the vault view to all 1Password users?

Yes. Unifying the GUI of 1P everywhere is the way to go.

1. Are you experiencing any performance issues? Keep in mind this is a read-only version at this time.

No performance issues at all on both Chrome and Edge on Windows.

1. How often do you use the vault view in 1Password.com?

Often as I only have access to the browser extension at work and editing any entry there takes you to the 1P website.

Something that I love from this new web interface is that we aren't being forced to see the items displayed with markdown. The fact that we can't turn off markdown in the browser extensions is one of the biggest complaints I have with 1Password.

When you finally enable editing on this new interface, it is important that we can auto-fill tags when editing a vault item. This is not possible in today's dated web interface.

• Ronan
    Ronan
    Community Member
    Options

Where's the "New" button gone?

• Thorz
    Thorz
    Community Member
    Options

I had to completely write this comment for a 2nd time because your forum software deleted it after I used the edit function. Let's hope that it works better this time.

Absolutely

1. Do you see value in us rolling out this new interface of the vault view to all 1Password users?

Yes, unifying the GUI of 1P everywhere is the way to go.

1. Are you experiencing any performance issues? Keep in mind this is a read-only version at this time.

None. Tested on Windows both in Chrome and Edge.

Often as I can't install the desktop app at work and can only use the browser extensions. Every time you edit an entry on those you are sendt to the 1P website.

I love that in this new web interface we aren't being forced to see the items displayed with markdown. The fact that it is impossible today to turn off markdown in the browser extensions is one of the biggest complaints I have with 1Password. I only use plain text in my 1P notes.

When you finally enable editing on this new web UI, it is important that we are able to auto-fill tags when editing a vault item. This is not possible in today's dated web interface where filling of tags is a nightmare as there is no auto-fill available.

• mypylon
    mypylon
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to arrange entries myself, like being able to drag similar accounts. For example, I have several administrator accounts. It would be helpful if all of the administrator account passwords were grouped together.

• rob
    Options

Boy we have some great testers! You all have been providing wonderful feedback, and I really appreciate it. ❤️

As in my last post, I'm going to address some specific comments, but I've read all of them and have a page of notes to share with our team, so if I don't respond to you directly, it's probably because I don't have anything to say except thank you for the feedback!

The "cc:" lines below are for folks who asked similar questions to others. If you had a question I haven't answered, please do let me know and I'll reply.

@fernandog thank you for letting us know about the Portuguese translation issue. I've forwarded it to our translation team, and I hope we'll have it addressed soon.

Please, please, please, don't use white letters on black background in menu or sidebar.

@Ytzen dark mode is only enabled if your system is set to dark mode. We will likely make that setting customizable in the future, but you may want to change your system setting if dark mode is not to your taste.

cc: @qiaofxing @tonsis63

The big issue I see is that I don't see a way to add new items with the new version.

@jwasserman yep! It's read-only right now, but we'll be bringing additional functionality soon. For anyone following along, I know we've been saying that for a while, but I promise it's coming. 😅 We hit a snag that has been taking a while to resolve.

cc: @boomdaddy3 @YolandaVega @krivet @filniculescu @Ronan

I personally think having the categories on the left bar would be way easier than having to select from a drop down at the top.

@vinaluf understood! See my previous post. :)

cc: @dkg @joap49

I have really large screens.

@YolandaVega understood! See my previous post. :)

cc: @joap49 @lunafutures

How about making better use of TAGS? #1, make Tags a 'pinned' choice, #2, provide an easy way to access Tag names and to batch-edit tag application and removal. After all, the whole purpose of this program is to enhance productivity inside a secure shell, so why not make Quick Access to chosen log-ins a top priority ?

@dkg I'm not quite following yet. Can you explain what you mean by making tags a "pinned" choice or easy to access? At the moment you can't delete a tag directly from the sidebar, but that is another improvement we will likely bring from the desktop app eventually. We're currently focused on making something that is at least as good as the existing vault item interface so that we can replace it and then iterate from there.

I would like to sort by category and title with favorites at the top.

@daleheath can you explain this a little more for me? Right now you can sort by title, but I'm not following how categories and favorites fit in. As you noted, you can view favorites from the sidebar, and we'll be adding categories in the sidebar soon. Will that work for what you need?

I found that I can have the traditional view open in 1 window and the beta version open in a second window. Any problem using it this way? Seems to work OK.

@daleheath nope! That's just fine.

My main thought was that I can't see my profile or settings (I accidentally left 'keep me logged in' ticked, and I want to log out before I go).

@AnitaGraham If you click "All Vaults" in the top left corner, at the bottom of that menu are options like "Manage Account" (to get back to the interface that includes your profile and account settings) and "Sign Out". Note that if you close the web app or quit your browser, you will be automatically signed out.

cc: @LarryGFlorence

Rather useless to release a read-only beta.

@guiambros Sorry about that! We hoped "sneak peek" would indicate it's not quite ready. :) OTOH, I have to disagree that it was useless given all the helpful feedback folks are offering here.

Wish there was a better method to share password.

@nnnnnpatel We'll be adding sharing in a future version. 👍

Having the ability to change font size would be great for the menu's.

@nnnnnpatel Browsers offer this! There should be a View menu in your browser where you can zoom in and out, which makes text bigger and should work well with our web interface.

Can someone tell me where the "Project History" is for the new version of the interface?

@UserUnauthorized I can't say I know what you're referring to. Can you explain or share a screenshot of what you were hoping to see? Viewing previous versions of an item is something we'll be implementing in a future update.

cc: @socceric

How do I open Watchtower from the new view? Is it getting moved somewhere else?

@konstantin not getting moved! It's just not ready yet. I think you may actually be the first person who's asked about this. Based on responses so far, we're prioritizing editing and other popular requests.

Quick question and forgive me if this isn't the forum but my main pain point with 1Password is that I constantly want to just get to the vault yet the only way to get there seems to be to click to Edit something and Cancel out of it, which is 2 clicks for 1 outcome and feels like a "hack" - is there a way to click once to get to the vault?

@thedatas I think you're referring to clicking the Edit button in the browser extension, which opens the web app, is that right? I think your hack is actually the only way at the moment. It's not something I'd thought of before. When you're trying to get into the web app, can I ask what is it you're aiming to do?

Will the Web UI include a dark mode?

@powerpage if you're referring to the rest of the web app, like account settings, profile, billing, etc., that won't be part of this project, but it's definitely something we hope to make happen eventually. 😎

Any plans for the 1P Chrome extension? I'm limited to using a corp-assigned Chromebook during business hours, so I use the 1Password Web UI and the Chrome extension (v2.21.0) exclusively. Is there a beta for that?

@powerpage what kinds of plans are you thinking of? We always have plans. 😈 (I wanted an emoji like scheming fingers, but that was the closest official emoji I could find. 😄) There is a beta version though if you want to live on the edge: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/1password-beta-–-password/khgocmkkpikpnmmkgmdnfckapcdkgfaf

I would also like to see a way to switch between vaults in the read only mode.

@BE55Roberts The vault switcher is in the top left corner, a little different from the desktop app, but similar to the old version of the web app.

I don't have a lot of vaults. My point is: at the bottom of which menu is the logout option? I just can not find it.

@hulbertcarol ah, I'm sorry! It's the vaults menu in the top left corner:

Could the new one have nav bars that are retractable through hover, or toggle?

@filniculescu If you make your window narrow enough, the far left sidebar will collapse away. 💥 We're interested in making this possible for any windows, but most people have the opposite problem, their window is way too wide for the amount of content we are showing. 😄

I would like to arrange entries myself, like being able to drag similar accounts. For example, I have several administrator accounts. It would be helpful if all of the administrator account passwords were grouped together.

@mypylon how would you like to be able to group these items? We support tags for use cases like this, although we haven't implemented editing or adding tags just yet in this version.

Ok, that's another edition of Rob-waits-too-long-to-check-the-forum. It'll happen again because I'm heading out for a short vacation, but I look forward to checking back in as soon as I can! Stay awesome, friends. 😎

• filniculescu
    filniculescu
    Community Member
    Options

Cheers will give that a go @rob!

• NightSky
    NightSky
    Community Member
    Options

It's just me, or there is no (at least selfevident) way to add a new element?

• ckostyn
    ckostyn
    Community Member
    Options

I do not like it - on the desktop version I tried to change a password and could not find where to edit/change it. Viewing it was fine, but I had to switch back to the old view to actually change it as I didn't have a huge amount of time to figure it out. I might like it if it were clear how to do what I need to do but it wasn't.

• awfulsigninux
    awfulsigninux
    Community Member
    edited March 15
    Options

First impression, just visual: much better.

Sign-in to the community experience however, sad to say, awful. (see Topic in Lounge)

• JayKof
    JayKof
    Community Member
    Options

In the left-hand alley I would like an option to show recently accessed logins, using header Recent.

• ag_tommy
    edited March 15
    Options

@NightSky @ckostyn

The view is still read-only. You would need to use the previous interface to undertake such things.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@awfulsigninux

Rather than bog down this discussion, please start a topic in our lounge so that we can assist you with any difficulties had while accessing the community.

• ckostyn
    ckostyn
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, that wasn't clear but does explain why I couldn't find what I needed. The new interface is a bit too minimal for me, and I do like color, but I applaud the move away from a white background in the new test design.

• awfulsigninux
    awfulsigninux
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Sorry. Yes, I'll post in the Lounge if it happens again, that way I'll recall the exact issue. My bad.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@awfulsigninux

No worries. I just didn't want to derail this discussion. It's all good. I also couldn't move your post as then things would have become disjointed. :)

We're glad to have you with us.

• sanity1123
    sanity1123
    Community Member
    Options

There seems to be a problem with the UI and loading images

This is one the new UI

And this is on the OLD one

• bezgrizen
    bezgrizen
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, guys!
    I am a bit late with my contribution, but nonetheless here it is:

I. Reply to the query:

Definitive, YES. It is better structured, more flexible from "options" point of view and supports the "dark mode" of the system.

2. Do you see value in us rolling out this new interface of the vault view to all 1Password users?
    YES, I fully support it

3. Are you experiencing any performance issues? Keep in mind this is a read-only version at this time.
    NO, I played with the online version

4. How often do you use the vault view in 1Password.com?
    Every day

II. Ideas for improvement:

1. For me, the menu "All items" -> "All Categories" would be more useful, if by default is ordered by categories, not by date/name/oldest/newest. I realize, that from the drop-down menu a category could be selected, but I'd go for an alphabetically-ordered approach even from the main menu.

This way, one can find an item, even though if he doesn't know which category to look for.

2. In the preview of a (e.g.) note, the first row of it to be hidden. It could contain already some "sensitive" data.

3. Ideas for "automated tags"? I thought It could be easier if the "tags" field recognizes some key-words and records directly them as "tags".

For the moment, that's all from me - keep the great work!
    Best regards!

• thedatas
    thedatas
    Community Member
    Options

Boy and I'm not sure how to reply to this reply:

I think you're referring to clicking the Edit button in the browser extension, which opens the web app, is that right? 

I think your hack is actually the only way at the moment. It's not something I'd thought of before. 

When you're trying to get into the web app, can I ask what is it you're aiming to do?

Yes, apologies, I'm using the browser extension in Chrome and attempting to just get into the vault without the little hack of clicking the Edit button and then canceling out of that to go into the vault.

It's okay if I had to do that sporadically, but I guess I'm a heavy user and I do that multiple times a day, so it'd be easier if there was a 1-click way to open the vault itself. Totally understandable if this is an enhanced, edge case feature.

What I'm doing in the vault? None of your business! Just kidding. Could be a variety of things, like notes, not necessarily editing a thing.

• user101621
    user101621
    Community Member
    edited March 16
    Options

A: yes it looks nicer and identical to the windows desktop app (what i use normally)

A: if it retains all of the functionality of the previous design then sure, why not

A: no issues for me

A: on occasion. it is useful for when i need to update my master password, print out my emergency kit, remove old sessions, and view the edit history of an item, but these are all things that should be included in the desktop/mobile apps by default, for the sake of convenience. it never made sense to me why we specifically need to go to a webpage to do those things, is there a security reason for it?

• AlwaysSortaCurious
    AlwaysSortaCurious
    Community Member
    Options

I like that it mirrors the app, that said, I do appreciate the current web look and find that it is sometimes easier to navigate. I like the clean segregation of vaults but easy access to each.

What can I say, sure I am an outlier.

• daleheath
    daleheath
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to be able to sort all titles within all categories. ie. Cat1, a,b,c. Cat2, a,b,c. etc.

• socceric
    socceric
    Community Member
    Options

@rob thanks for clarifying that item version history will be added. For my, item history is the most important reason I use 1password.com. As such the old view should not be removed until all essential features including history are added.
    Can you please advise about the password and sharing history too?
    Also, I would love to see the item and sharing history in the desktop/mobile apps. Any plans to introduce that there?

• sxlijin
    sxlijin
    Community Member
    edited March 16
    Options

No preference.

As a 1P user, I consider this rollout to be a no-op w.r.t. my experience.

I see subtle layout changes, e.g. the vault selector and category filters have changed locations on the page, and there's now an ability to sort by creation and access time, but I'm not a user for whom this flexibility matters.

My priority is just that the on-device/offline search experience continues to work well, and AFAICT that seems to be the case.

Switching between items is slow, but from my pov performance is unchanged from the legacy UI.

Specifically, if I'm currently viewing my login details for "website1.com" and I click on the "website2.com" entry in the vault item list (aria-label "Item List"), the UI takes >100ms to update. I would guess it's about 150ms-200ms. This is sadly pretty par for the course for modern web UIs though, so my feedback on this point is mostly "it can and should be better, but it's probably a P2 for you to improve it".

Maybe every other month.

Most of my 1pw interactions on my laptop are to open the Chrome extension to retrieve a user/pw pair for something.

I open the vault if I need to create a user/pw pair for a new website, when the new-account flow on said website is too complex for the normal auto-suggested-password flow (examples: I want to record additional account details in 1pw, or I want to add a 2FA qr code after account creation).

I have never used the desktop app.

my use environment: Chrome on a Windows desktop. I usually open the window in a 640p-wide, 1080p-tall window (three windows side by side on a 1920x1080 screen).

Happy to provide more specific feedback if desired - I've been a fan of your product for years (signed up after the HIBP partnership) - but I pretty much never check these forums; would prefer to be involved via email participation if possible.

• shepster
    shepster
    Community Member
    Options

I like the interface. I like that it mirrors what the interface looks like in the app. I did notice that some items that I just changed the icon for did not display the new icons in the new interface. Many (most? all?) of my older items had the correct icon.

• shepster
    shepster
    Community Member
    edited March 17
    Options

I did notice in the Notes section that markdown was displayed as source rather than rendered as rich text. Oops. Going back to the original interface, markdown was not rendered either.

• filniculescu
    filniculescu
    Community Member
    Options

@rob I can't collapse the far left sidebar or the other side bar, they seem to narrow down to a set width and no further, so I still can't select and edit a secret record or to create a new one

• jrod3737
    jrod3737
    Community Member
    Options

The new design is fine. One thing I liked about the old design that has changed in the new that I wish would be like the old way, when I'm searching I want it to just filter the list that's already on the screen. I don't want a popup of suggestions that I have to choose from. I liked it as a "keyword filter" more than a search.

• chazbot7
    chazbot7
    Community Member
    Options

Love the new design - only thought so far is I don't like that the entry boxes are 100% width - seems unnecessary and a bit annoying to go all the way over to the right to hit the dropdown menu.

• TiWoHH
    TiWoHH
    Community Member
    Options

Also like the "clean" Design approach.
    For the Questions: Yes I use also several Vaults. As Family Member I have the shared Vault from my Parents and I created one for Work purpose.
    As @Thorz said, I also use the Broswer App for my Work Devices, as the App couldnt be installed by policies in force. THis made it necessary to have one Vault open there, but I can also switch to access my Private Stuff. This going form A to B to C is a little hassle, but considering a lot of people work like that more and more, make your ideas from that approach.

As I just sort and search things by Cagtegory or full Text, I never had a usecase of flag something by "Tags" since Years. For Users doing that, please consider Categories still as main selector Tool in the Main Interface.