Experiment #4 – New interface in 1Password.com’s vault view

Comments

• ian_turnbull
    ian_turnbull
    Community Member

I am all for a simple and clear setup so that one doesn't have to wonder how to do things. Make sure that items can be moved from category to category and that new categories can be set up. Since you market your product worldwide also make sure that date format, currency, etc that vary from country to country can be selected to suit the locality. The other thing that I have found is that over the years one accumulates data which one is then unsure what is still relevent. Perhaps dating of entries would be an idea.

• michaelgutbier
    michaelgutbier
    Community Member

The new UI does not allow editing tags in entries. I can only remove a tag and then have to re-enter it. This is annoying if I accidentally mistyped a tag and want to fix a typo or something., which is not that unusual. There should be more flexibility in editing/changing tag assignments in items.

In the old UI I can edit tags freely, e.g. by changing their names in the input field. Although this is not perfect because this offers no auto-completion or other kinds of help for entering tags, it is better than the new UI.

• jae21396
    jae21396
    Community Member

Does not look like the new UI on the Web Extension allows you to upload, or shows you custom icons for items.

Example: Created a note, added some sections and details. Attempted to upload custom icon on the new UI, and nothing happened. Reverted to old UI, icon upload worked as expected.

Using Firefox with the browser extension on a Windows 11 machine, opened up the vault and all attempts were done there.

• seanr
    seanr
    Community Member

FWIW, I vastly prefer this interface over the existing one. I'll reserve judgment on the bugs or missing items others have reported given that I have only just switched to it, but visually it is FAR better IMHO. 🙂

• Hey, everyone. Thanks for the continued feedback. We've been listening to the issues reported here and elsewhere and working to smooth over several wrinkles. We've released a few updates recently addressing a bunch of little issues and there's another one coming this week.

Watchtower is almost ready! (cc: @debstr) We've got the bulk of the work done, but we're still putting on the finishing touches and improving performance. In the new experience, you'll be able to access your Watchtower dashboard for all vaults at the same time, which isn't something supported in the current/old experience. With great power comes great performance considerations, though. 😅

I'm responding to several specific comments below. For others, I'm forwarding your feedback for future consideration, or maybe just smiling at your encouraging comment. 😊

It seems that when editing an item in the new web interface, it's not possible to manually set the specific Google/GitHub/Apple/... account that was used to log in to the site.

Great spot, @Luca01! I've filed an issue for us to look into this.

my support id was XVP-14348-453

@steveog thanks for following up. We identified and fixed one possible cause for that issue, but we're keeping an eye out for others.

Is there a way to turn off the request to save my password when logging into the browser? Seems like a bad idea to save my master password in my vault.

@bemorenordie it's actually not a bad idea. I have my accounts saved in 1Password so that I can easily sign in on 1Password.com when I already have the browser extension unlocked. We have some changes in progress to make this experience even better, though.

I'm also noticing that if I ever have to refresh the page I have to log in again.

@bemorenordie that's strange. We made some changes back in February that meant page refresh should no longer sign you out. What browser and operating system are you using?

Error trying to create secure note.

@b3nw are you still experiencing this? We fixed a timeout issue recently, so let me know if you're still having trouble.

We're seeing longer load times recently as we've been adding more features, and we're working to address those issues.

cc: @sudheerkovalam @dleib2020 @securitymindedK @Costa @CptnSpiff

How can I find out the number entries I have?

@rrrobot in the new interface, you can see the number of items at the bottom of the list or in the sorting menu:

How to change the time out for the browser?

@bemorenordie you can adjust this on your profile: https://start.1password.com/profile

"Archive and Do Not Ask Again" does not work, it asks again, every time.

@johnfixesstuff hey look at that! 🤦‍♂️ I've filed an issue, thanks!

My one complaint is that Vaults are missing (I organize my items into 10+ vaults.)

@jhands vaults are still here! They've just moved to the top left corner, under "All Vaults".

I changed the logo of one password entry with a png image. I can get through the whole icon uploading process, but once it is uploaded, it has no effect (this on the new beta UI).

@diegotercero oops! We know custom icons aren't working yet in the new UI, but I didn't realize it was offering you the option to upload one. We try to at least hide the stuff that's not working. 😅 We'll be looking at this one soon, though. 👍

cc: @jae21396

Is there a way to convert logins/passwords/etc to other types? Like if I created a login for an email, but now I see that it really should've been created as an email.

@jennifer7i884 this isn't possible right now, no. Note that Email items are not currently supported by the browser extension for filling into web forms, so the Login item may actually be what you wanted. Email items are helpful for storing all the various configuration settings you need when you're setting up a new email client.

I would like to see the linear lines delineating different items, like in the present 1Password. It helps to differentiate them from each other.

@debstr can you help me understand what lines you're referring to? Maybe post a screenshot of some sample data (nothing sensitive)?

What I don't like is seeing dates, which I assume are when the passwords were created (but I could be wrong), above every item.

@debstr if you're referring to the month groupings, you can change how items are sorted using the arrow icon at the top of the item list. If you change it to sort by Title, the month groupings will be replaced with letter groupings.

Why is everything centered?

@ehurkman thanks for the feedback! We had a lot of complaints about the UI stretching across the full browser width, so we're experimenting with a thinner details section centered in the available space. This is similar to how other apps behave when they want to provide readable content. One example is Notion. We considered left aligning the details, but then there's just a huge amount of space on the right, where the Edit button and item actions menu are. 🤷‍♂️

We'll probably keep tweaking it.

I think there should be a quick access to this menu.

@toddrobertson keep an eye out for a change coming this week! 😎

For identities/ passports ect it would be good to upload a photo of the document (Nordpass has this and its very useful if you lose a passport on holiday!).

@mathewP you can attach photos to items. Just click "add more" then "attach a file".

Your other feedback seems to apply to the browser extension, so I'll pass it on to the folks working on that.

Thanks again, everyone!

• 1pwuser
    1pwuser
    Community Member

In the Recently Deleted "vault", how do you permanently delete all items at once? Seems like you have to delete them one at a time now.

I liked one feature regarding Recently Deleted functionality in the old version - you could see the date on which you deleted the item.

• 73Prime
    73Prime
    Community Member

We have attached files to entries which had to be done in the Windows app. This items on the website showed as "unsupported field". I see on the New Beta they properly show the details. Will the functionality in the new beta allow items to be uploaded to an entry? I do see you can download the item via the new beta.

My question was primarily from uniformity across 1password to allow access to items in an entry across the multiple paths \ apps. Appreciate you allowing me to share.

1Password Version: 8.10.33
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser: Firefox lastest version

• mgoodlin
    mgoodlin
    Community Member

Sometime I do like the darker mode, but in the 1PASSWORD not a fan, I do hope there is an option to turn it off. I also like being able to see all the details about a password as seen here all at a glance.

I like the password sorted in alphabet order and not by the last edit dates. I use this daily and it is always the same few passwords and I like them at the top of my favorites list.

Why change a good thing when it works?? NOW a fan I want it to stay the way it is.

Thanks so much Margaret

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Browser: Not Provided

• MIkeC1154
    MIkeC1154
    Community Member

It appears to be simpler, and I appreciate that fact. The vaults are also easier to find.

• XianNewman
    XianNewman
    Community Member

I can't figure out how to add a new vault in the new view. Also, I should be able to:
    1. Drag and drop items between vaults, tags, etc.
    2. Right-click on an item to see contextual options.
    3. Be signed into multiple accounts and move items between accounts, vaults, etc.

• michaelgutbier
    michaelgutbier
    Community Member

Another UX regression from the old UI:
    Copying an URL now requires two clicks instead of one. I (very) often need to copy values from an item instead of opening it. An additional click would be a nuisance.
    Please consider, or even better, prioritise UX over design.

• michaelgutbier
    michaelgutbier
    Community Member
    1. Do you prefer this new interface over the old one?
      Absolutely not. The usability decreased in some places where I noticed, and probably in many other places where I didn't. I cannot use it as it currently is. (For example, needing more clicks to copy a value or needing to delete a tag to change its name)

2. Do you see value in us rolling out this new interface of the vault item view to all 1Password users?
      Not yet. I'd like to see the regressions being fixed before.

3. Are you experiencing any performance issues?
      The page seems to need more time to load than the old one. The load time should be shorter than before, not longer.

4. How often do you use the vault item view in 1Password.com?
      Almost every second hour of my workdays.

• Lorthirk
    Lorthirk
    Community Member

A little bug about the Calendar for date fields:

Clicking in the month or year doesn't let you quick change the month shown; it's not possible to write in the text field. To enter my birth date I had to switch to the old UI :)

• Shadow0509
    Shadow0509
    Community Member

Definitely like this new interface much better! Love the "dark" mode. I've been trying out the new interface and it works seamlessly...no issues whatsoever. I use the vault item view almost daily. This is an improvement for sure.

• DeanYoung
    DeanYoung
    Community Member

In the new view, loss of pictographic icons for content type (e.g. a key for logins) and replacing with text is a counter intuitive idea. Your eyes no longer fall on the entries you are targeting. I would say this is a step back in user friendlyness

• DeanYoung
    DeanYoung
    Community Member

When you are in a login entry to view / reveal a password, as it is now accessed from a context menu this makes the information further away from being available to see and increases the time taken to get the information (an extra mouse click). The current version of mouse over reveal works much better.

I would add that a tool like this should be designed not to slow down the user from the task in hand that are actually performing (such as authenticating to a system). Access the vault entry needs to be slick, otherwise the users flow is interrupted too much by navigating the vault. This combined with loss of pictographic icons for content type adds further delays.

Thanks

• me0x
    me0x
    Community Member

About the tags part,

If, for example, I want to see all entries with the a/b/c tag then I don't want to see the ones with tags like a/b/c/d and/or a/b/c/d/e as well.

Current functionality is to print them all.

• sward445
    sward445
    Community Member

Love the new interface over the old one. How about functionality to search keywords within the items themselves? Like all the fields, or at least the notes field?

• viceanniversary
    viceanniversary
    Community Member

Can you please add a feature that makes it easy to read the full vault name and to copy it?
    This is so difficult in the current UI and the Labs UI.

• In the Recently Deleted "vault", how do you permanently delete all items at once? Seems like you have to delete them one at a time now.

@1pwuser this is a good point. We haven't added the ability to bulk delete or archive, but I've made a note of it so we can take a look soon. We'll probably support it initially via the keyboard shortcut and/or drag-and-drop to the sidebar.

I liked one feature regarding Recently Deleted functionality in the old version - you could see the date on which you deleted the item.

It's perhaps less obvious now, but when you click on the item, "Last edited" should indicate when you deleted the item.

Will the functionality in the new beta allow items to be uploaded to an entry? I do see you can download the item via the new beta.

@73Prime yep! You should be able to attach files in the beta already.

Sometime I do like the darker mode, but in the 1PASSWORD not a fan, I do hope there is an option to turn it off.

@mgoodlin We're looking at implementing this as a setting in a future version. 👍

I also like being able to see all the details about a password as seen here all at a glance.

Are you referring to the buttons near the bottom? Honestly that was a bit of a lazy design on our part. 😅 The new design will still support those functions, but in contexts that make sense. For example, previous versions (item history) now show up under the "Last edited" text, and sharing history shows up in the access menu at the top (which is still a work in progress).

I like the password sorted in alphabet order and not by the last edit dates.

This is now the default again, but the new design allows you to choose your sorting preference from the top of the list. The old design didn't even give an option. Progress! 😉

I can't figure out how to add a new vault in the new view. Also, I should be able to:
    1. Drag and drop items between vaults, tags, etc.
    2. Right-click on an item to see contextual options.
    3. Be signed into multiple accounts and move items between accounts, vaults, etc.

@XianNewman it sounds like you are used to the desktop apps, not our existing web app. Our goal with this project is to revamp the existing web app without taking away features. Everything you mentioned there has never existed in the web app, so it's out of scope for us for this initial version. But thanks for letting us know what would be useful for you!

Clicking in the month or year doesn't let you quick change the month shown; it's not possible to write in the text field. To enter my birth date I had to switch to the old UI :)

@Lorthirk if you click the field again so that the date picker goes away, you can type in the field directly. Sorry for the confusion!

In the new view, loss of pictographic icons for content type (e.g. a key for logins) and replacing with text is a counter intuitive idea. Your eyes no longer fall on the entries you are targeting.

@DeanYoung can you point me to where we replaced an icon with text? We still have icons both for items and for their categories.

If, for example, I want to see all entries with the a/b/c tag then I don't want to see the ones with tags like a/b/c/d and/or a/b/c/d/e as well.

@me0x I'm sorry, that's how tags work in all of our other apps, so this just brings the web in line with them. If you want to be able to split them out, I'd recommend changing a/b/c to a/b/c/general, for example.

How about functionality to search keywords within the items themselves? Like all the fields, or at least the notes field?

@sward445 search improvements will be coming in future versions. 👍 For this first version, we just wanted search to be at least as good as the existing web app.

Can you please add a feature that makes it easy to read the full vault name and to copy it?

@viceanniversary I've not heard that request before. I'll pass it on. 👍

• jmillican
    jmillican
    Community Member

Once again you have removed the send a copy function. This is something that we use frequently and is a much smother process than sharing via email link. Also, this was only in the browser version and not the desktop client which was very disappointing. Can you please make this available again in both Desktop and web?

• jjc
    jjc
    Community Member

The performance of the new site seems to be somewhat worse than the previous design. The original site takes 2-3s on my network:

While the new site is consistently slower, taking3-4s (with a populated cache). This is a particularly egregious example:

• me0x
    me0x
    Community Member
    edited June 20

@me0x I'm sorry, that's how tags work in all of our other apps, so this just brings the web in line with them. If you want to be able to split them out, I'd recommend changing a/b/c to a/b/c/general, for example.

@rob , sorry but I disagree. Look at attached screens. Currently the tags part work differently and exactly into that way I've described.

As part of this screen you see that only root entries are displayed. You don't see the amazon ones. This is the key-point.

Now, I'm clicking on the amazon group of entries (note that they have same root part, the hashed one) and you see amazon specific ones only.

P.S. The hint about general tab works as expected. Thanks for that.

• rob
    rob
    edited June 20

Hey, folks. Wanted to let you know that Watchtower is now available in the new version. 🎉 Watchtower banners on individual items will come later.

Now that all the major functionality is there, we've also published a new page on our release notes site, which we'll be updating as we continue to improve and add new features: https://releases.1password.com/web/

Once again you have removed the send a copy function.

Hey, @jmillican. Something must have been lost in our communication on this. The "send a copy" feature was just on the web, as you mentioned, and it was only available to business accounts who had opted in to beta features, and there are a few problems with it. We decided last year to remove it, and just a few companies, including yours it seems, asked for it to be added back. We re-enabled the feature for those companies while informing them that this would only be a temporary measure, and they should plan for it to be removed permanently. This new design is where it is being removed permanently.

We've had ideas for a better version of it, but there hasn't been enough demand at this point. Our item sharing feature, on the other hand, has been a hit, and we're recommending that as an alternative.

The performance of the new site seems to be somewhat worse than the previous design.

Thanks for sharing that comparison, @jjc! We're hoping to spend some time on performance tuning over the next several weeks.

@rob , sorry but I disagree. Look at attached screens. Currently the tags part work differently and exactly into that way I've described.

@me0x By "all of our other apps" I meant all of our apps except the existing web app. :) In other words, our desktop and mobile apps present tags in a nested manner, where clicking on a "parent" tag will also display all items with any of the child tags. So this update makes the web app match our desktop and mobile apps.

• doshop
    doshop
    Community Member

Hi I would like have multi lined recovery phrase/password fields, in the new design these only viewed in multiline after the new item is saved.
    It would also be very useful if there is a line number on the left side to indicate which line you are in, so you are less to make any mistake.

• Fresco
    Fresco
    Community Member

I love it. Finally (practically) the same UI as the desktop app. I have read in some comments that editing in the new interface is not possible? I have tried it and it works. Changes made in the new beta web UI are visible in the desktop app. Of course, it could be that this option wasn't available earlier on.

• timc1960
    timc1960
    Community Member

I like the improvements from the old version however, for us with poorer vision, can you make the slide bar to the right of the left hand column a bit wider so it's easier to pull down the page?

• tonsis63
    tonsis63
    Community Member

I like it a lot. I prefer "dark mode" in most of my apps. The sections seem to be pretty well organized, and the font size is ok- I wouldn't want it to be any smaller though. I use fairly long passwords and I'm accustomed to the wrap around effect, so that's not a problem for me. I look forward to seeing the finished version roll out.

• calebatispot
    calebatispot
    Community Member

I just ran into a couple of problems:
    1. In new design clicking copy link after share doesn't actually copy anything. This works with old design
    2. When trying to report the issue, the "Email 1Password Support" button at the bottom of https://support.1password.com/search/?q=report+bug doesn't work. It just redirects back to https://support.1password.com/

• mikihe
    mikihe
    Community Member

Hi,

I am blind user of your service and would like to highlight some accessibility-related issues:
    I am using Windows desktop app 1Password for Windows 8.10.35 (81035003)
    On your web pages (new view) or in your desktop app, my screenreader NVDA says nothing when I am on the sidebar (where all vaults are located). The same behaviour have been from February, 2024 to this day.

Could you fix it, thanks :)

1. Do you prefer this new interface over the old one?
      *Yes, I think that the new interface are easier even the accessibility issues is fixed.
    2. Do you see value in us rolling out this new interface of the vault item view to all 1Password users?
      *Yes, if it's accessible and easy-to-use for all users.
    3. Are you experiencing any performance issues?
      *Yes, please see above.
    4. How often do you use the vault item view in 1Password.com?
      *I think approx once of week.

And another developing idea; could you enable some keyboard shortcut, for ex. f6-key to jump from sidebar to list view, where are my passwords etc. Now I have to press "tab" approx six times that I could get there.

Many thanks!